News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 393     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Ontario Place has been problemmatic for decades - worked well in its heyday, but in an era of Canada's Wonderland and Six Flags level entertainment complexes, it really isn't big enough or flashy enough to house a competing product. (Although it was always a very decent place to take one's family so the kids could enjoy the splashpad, have an ice cream, and not have to drive too far to get home when everyone gets tired.
I worked at Ontario Place for two summers, 1992 and 1993 in the parking lot and admissions depts. Even back then I could tell this place was lagging. I read the entirety of Tom Clancy’s Red Storm Rising whilst sitting bored AF in the parking lot, where even in the warmth of July and August the lot might have a dozen cars on a weekday.

I'm foreseeing a large change order bill for Crosslinx to change the name of the station.
Hopefully Crosslinx will be collapsed by then. It took them 3 years to plan the existing centre, followed by 2 years to design it, and then 3 more to build it. So Science Centre station is good until now.

They'll have to redo all the signage in 7 years or so when the Ontario Line and the Line 5 extension open - so they might as well rename it then, in the same manner they are doing Eglinton West.

What to call it other than Eglinton-Don Mills is a mystery to me. There's not many landmarks left there other than Foresters. Alternatively, they could rename Don Mills station - which isn't even near Don Mills.

They could rename Science Centre Station to Don Mills Station and Rename Don Mills station to Fairview Mall Station
Don Mills is centered at Lawrence. The area immediately around Eglinton it is Don Mills Crossing. At Sheppard the neighborhood would be Don Valley Village. Fairview is in Mississauga.

Don Mills is centered at Lawrence. The area immediately around Eglinton it is Don Mills Crossing. At Sheppard the neighborhood would be Don Valley Village. Fairview is in Mississauga.
Fairview mall is @ Don Mills & Sheppard...You can walk right into the mall from Don Mills station. (after T&T opens the former Sears entrance)

Fairview mall is @ Don Mills & Sheppard...You can walk right into the mall from Don Mills station. (after T&T opens the former Sears entrance)

Properly speaking, a "Don Mills" station should probably be at Lawrence and renaming "Science Centre" to "Don Mills" doesn't make much sense.
The City's 'brand name' for the area is "Don Mills Crossing," which isn't bad, though you'd still have to change the current Don Mills station.

Or maybe they should just leave it as "Science Centre," as a monument to our foolisheness.)

(That said, if they need to rename the current "Don Mills,", I'd change that one to "Peanut," because, why not?)

(That said, if they need to rename the current "Don Mills,", I'd change that one to "Peanut," because, why not?)

Peanut Plaza is a fair bit north of the station and only locals or those who went to Seneca College (such as myself) would know it.

It is like calling Warden Station "Clairlea". Unless you live in the area you would have no clue what it refers to. Fairview Mall would be a better name for Don Mills station as it is literally right there.

Properly speaking, a "Don Mills" station should probably be at Lawrence and renaming "Science Centre" to "Don Mills" doesn't make much sense.
The City's 'brand name' for the area is "Don Mills Crossing," which isn't bad, though you'd still have to change the current Don Mills station.

Or maybe they should just leave it as "Science Centre," as a monument to our foolisheness.)

Looking at Google Maps the area around Don Mills and Eglinton is called Wynford-Concorde so Concorde could be a name for the station although Metrolinx probably wants to avoid that name due to Concorde up in Vaughan. Of course we could just stick the naming conventions we have for interchanges and call the station Eglinton-Don Mills.

As for an extension of the OL north the station names if it were up to me would be "Don Mills" (station at Lawrence), York Height (station at York Mills. Graydon Hall could also be used but its a bit more of a stretch due to the distance), and Fairview (the old Don Mills Station).

Peanut Plaza is a fair bit north of the station and only locals or those who went to Seneca College (such as myself) would know it.

It is like calling Warden Station "Clairlea". Unless you live in the area you would have no clue what it refers to. Fairview Mall would be a better name for Don Mills station as it is literally right there.

Yes, it is a fair bit north. But Peanut is a cool name for a subway station, so I stand by it.
(It was mostly a joke but it's probably closer to the Peanut is than Pioneer Village is to Pioneer Village so...)
And though "Fairview Mall," generically makes sense, there's no way they will name it after a private business that happens to be next door. If Cadillac Farivew wants to pony up naming rights, then we can talk about this serious change to naming policy.

And even if the area is called Wnyford-Concorde, Wynford is actually a street and you can't name it after a street that's not there.
Whatever they decide, I'm sure it will be dumb and cost a lot of money to fix.

And though "Fairview Mall," generically makes sense, there's no way they will name it after a private business that happens to be next door.
Are Yorkdale and STC paid for by the entities situated next to the stations?

I don't like the thought of naming stations after private businesses as a principle, but the fact of the matter is, transit has an obligation to make its names and designations clear and understandable. There is nothing significant or noteworthy, besides the aforementioned malls, at either of the stations named above, and similarly so at Don Mills. Therefore, the only logical step is to move forward and name the station for the major business it serves.

In my hometown of Bratislava, big minded principles like this have lead to a completely chaotic situation in stop names. The egotists running the transit system decided they didn't wish to do "unpaid advertisements" for major shopping complexes, so stops that were previously named "Bory Mall", "Aupark", "Polus City Centre", all major shopping malls in their respective quarters, were instead renamed to "OC Bory", which roughly translates to "Shopping Centre Bory" (OC = obchodné centrum, Slovak for shopping centre; there is no such business); "Pri sade" (Slovak for 'near the garden'), and "MiU Nové Mesto" (borough hall of Nové Mesto). All of these are at best trivial destinations compared to the shopping centre; at worst, as in the case of OC Bory, they quite literally do not exist. If there was something else equally notable near these stations that the stations could reasonably be accused of serving, I would support renaming the station for that; as there isn't, "Fairview Mall" is the obvious and clear answer for what to rename the Sheppard station.

Are Yorkdale and STC paid for by the entities situated next to the stations?

Yorkdale is an area in which Yorkdale Shopping Centre is located. So the station is called Yorkdale and not Yorkdale Shopping Centre.
Scarborough Centre is the area in which Scarborough Shopping Centre is located. So the station is called Scarborough Centre and not Scarborough Shopping Centre.

Conclusion: neither of these stations are named after the nearby private businesses.

If we want to suggest "Fairview" as the new name for Don Mills, I guess we can - but not "Fairview Mall."
But unlike the two examples you provided, there is no "Fairview" neighbourhood. No one calls it that, so you really are naming it after the mall rather than having a mall clever enough to incoporate the neighbourhood's name.
(Bayview Village would also be a prime example of a proper mall name that borrows the existing neighbourhood name. If the existing Bayview station was called Bayview Village, that would mostly make sense.
Shops at Don Mills mostly works too (but for the "shops").
But not Fairview Mall.)

Sorry, I don't buy into that for one second. Claiming that either of those stations are not named for the businesses they are situated right next to would be a little bit like running a rip off of Star Wars called Star War, and arguing the name is different so therefore you are not in violation of copyright law.

The neighbourhood in which Yorkdale is situated is called Yorkdale-Glen Park. If they wanted to avoid leaning into the commercial name, they would've called it Glen Park. The name is very obviously a nod to the shopping mall nearby. It is Yorkdale's station, as shown on this vintage ad.

20111129yorkdale.jpg

I find the distinction between "Scarborough Town Centre" and "Scarborough Centre" to be needlessly nitpicky, too. Scarborough Centre was very likely chosen because it is shorter, and rolls off the tongue better than STC. It is the same in other TTC destination sign programmings - buses are indicated as running to "Sherway" despite no such neighbourhood existing, for example. No one would be able to argue that the buses are bound for anywhere but Sherway Gardens, we all know that's where they're going. What about the countless post secondary institutions the TTC serves? York University? Humber College? Pearson Airport? Should they be renamed, too?

"Shops at Don Mills" seems to me very much like the "OC Bory" example from Bratislava. We are so afraid of doing "unpaid advertising" that we would rather our station names be completely detached from reality rather than acknowledge the wide world around us. If it is necessary to rename Don Mills station, and it is not to Fairview Mall, then you'd better build something else there that makes it a destination.

Or, we could leave line 4 alone and rename the non-existent Science Centre station. I can't fathom why a pre-existing station, rather than one that only exists in the imaginations of the Ontario government, would be the one that gets renamed. Don Mills would be an absurd choice of name for it, anyway, considering that a) the line runs on Don Mills, and b) there are two stations planned on that street. Eglinton East or Eglinton-Don Mills would make much more sense.

Back