News   May 08, 2024
 131     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 403     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 616     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I emphasized "through" because that reads like an admission that Sunnybrook Park is not directly off Leslie and Eglinton. One has to go through another park in order to get to it. That park is Wilket Creek.

More evidence supporting my point are as follows:

View attachment 61509 View attachment 61510 View attachment 61511
That last image is the park plaque visible just north of the Leslie/Eglinton intersection. So that's compelling proof that the area is recognized more so as Wilket Creek than as Sunnybrook by several organizations and thus arguably, the general public.

That sign isn't the sign you are referring to. The sign in the location you are referring to actually says Wilket Creek AND Sunnybrook Park.

Edit: This is the sign:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.7189...4!1sJWMr2cj8uz_PkOtVOnIDPA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It appears that it is over 1km from Bayview/Eglinton to Sunnybrook hospital - that should disqualify the use of Sunnybrook for the Bayview Station.
The distance from Leslie/Eglinton to Sunnybrook Stables, the first sign that you actually in Sunnybrook Park, is over 1km - that should disqualify the use of Sunnybrook for the Bayview Station. https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.7191...4!1s32BA11X1fIMuh15P5QfpGw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The City of Toronto website lists Wilket Creek Park as being at the corner of Leslie and Eglinton (and stretching north from there). Although there was a reference in the above post to a sign that said "To Wilket Creek and Sunnybrook Park" at Leslie, as soon as you enter, it is obvious that you are in "Wilket Creek Park".

It seems clear that Bayview Station should be "Bayview" (change Bayview/Sheppard to "Bayview Village". Laird should be "Leaside". Leslie should be called "Leslie" or "Wilket Creek" and maybe change Leslie/Sheppard to "Leslie North".

The name changes on the Sheppard line could be made in conjunction with the announcement of its extension to Downsview. o_O

Spadina Rd and Laird and closing fast.

Screen Shot 2015-12-11 at Friday Dec 11, 2015 8.28.21 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-12-11 at Friday Dec 11, 2015 8.28.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-11 at Friday Dec 11, 2015 8.28.21 AM.png
    539.6 KB · Views: 459
Man....they really ought to start station construction real soon in the west...they have an opportunity to open up to Allen at least a year early
but thats just a pipe dream since they fail to see any incentives for putting a little more cash and effort into this project

Man....they really ought to start station construction real soon in the west...they have an opportunity to open up to Allen at least a year early
but thats just a pipe dream since they fail to see any incentives for putting a little more cash and effort into this project
The station build out and overall completion of the project is being done under a fixed price/date certain construction contract through a P3 bid process. The schedule in that contract is reasonable, and maybe some would consider it tight. Currently the contractors are heavy in the design phase, I've been told they will break ground in the spring, and then it will be full steam ahead.

I think there is more than enough cash and effort going into this project.

It appears that it is over 1km from Bayview/Eglinton to Sunnybrook hospital - that should disqualify the use of Sunnybrook for the Bayview Station.
The distance from Leslie/Eglinton to Sunnybrook Stables, the first sign that you actually in Sunnybrook Park, is over 1km - that should disqualify the use of Sunnybrook for the Bayview Station. https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.7191...4!1s32BA11X1fIMuh15P5QfpGw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Entrance to Sunnybrook Park - the stone gates - which are also over 1 km from Leslie & Eglinton
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.7200...4!1s2x0XDJIobXwVURptUlNU_A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

archives_1_sunnybrook_park.jpg

Which makes Leslie the closest station. The city website clearly says "go to Eglinton and Leslie, and walk to entrance).

I think the "Sunnybrook" problem is: everyone has a different understanding of what "Sunnybrook" means. To some people it is the Hospital, to some people the Plaza, and to others the Park. To some people it is the park as technically defined (although I've yet to see a definitive map showing what is Sunnybrook Park, what is Serena Gundy Park and what is Wilket Creek Park) and to others it is the whole conglomeration of parks north and west of Leslie and Eglinton. Having lived in central Toronto for over fifteen years I see Sunnybrook Hospital and Sunnybrook Park as being two distinct entities, the first being located at Bayview and Blythwood and the second being located at Leslie and Eglinton. I know the hospital grounds and the park meet in the middle of the block, and if I were walking to the park from my house I could walk through the hospital grounds but from a tranist-rider point-of-view they are miles part.

We must remember that the reason the Leslie stop was kept was so people could access events at Sunnybrook Park.

The park is of secondary importance to the hospital. Say the word "Sunnybrook" to any common person on the street and the word association they'll immediately come up 9 out of 10 times with is the hospital. As a wayfinding exercise for commuters they'll want to know getting off at the Bayview Station will get them closest to the hospital. That's why reserving that name for the Leslie stop, a totally different location altogether IMO is a huge mistake.

Is Bayview and Blythwood really that far away from Bayview and Eglinton that naming the stop "Sunnybrook" really such a bad descriptor? I don't think so. We already have several occurrences wherein stations in the system are not named for the direct cross intersection but rather neighbouring streets or landmarks, so this can't be too much of a stretch.

Really? I beg to differ. To me and most locals I know, the first thing that would come to mind is Sunnybrook Park. I typically forget that Sunnybrook Hospital is even nearby.

Is Bayview and Blythwood really that far away from Bayview and Eglinton that naming the stop "Sunnybrook" really such a bad descriptor? I don't think so. We already have several occurrences wherein stations in the system are not named for the direct cross intersection but rather neighbouring streets or landmarks, so this can't be too much of a stretch.

This isn't exactly a neighbouring landmark. Maybe from a suburban perspective it is 'close enough' but this is not a suburban area. Walking from Eglinton to Blythwood is the equivalent of walking from Bloor to College.

I think @howl is spot on in his analysis. The fact of the matter is that Leslie station was kept for the sole reasoning because NIMBY's (or I guess YIMBY's) wanted transit access to Sunnybrook Park, for which they would enter through Leslie Street.

Last edited:
... The fact of the matter is that Leslie station was kept for the sole reasoning because NIMBY's (or I guess YIMBY's) wanted transit access to Sunnybrook Park, for which they would enter through Leslie Street.

Oh come on. Very few people use public transit to access a park like Sunnybrook. The locals walk there, cyclists cycle there and people going to special events at the stables or sports fields generally drive there. The Leslie stop was kept because a very small but loud group of YIMBY's from the few condos on Leslie (just north of Toyota/Lexus on the Park) got their Councillor Jaye Robinson to fight for it. She took up the charge even though it's only a very small sliver of her ward that dips down on Leslie and touches Eglinton where these condos and the stop will be. Inexplicably the Leaside Property Owners Association jumped on board and supported Robinson and the condo owners even though neither the condos nor the stop are in Leaside. Perhaps because some of the condo residents are former Leaside residents, I don't know. The LPOA's involvement led to the erroneous press reports of "Leasiders fight to save their Leslie stop" which of course was pure dung. No one in Leaside would ever walk down the hill/up the hill on Eglinton to use the Leslie stop, especially in bad weather. Even from the easternmost edge of Leaside it is a closer walk to Laird station than Leslie and with no hill.

Incidentally I doubt that many condo residents will use this stop anyway as they mostly drive. The bus stops (both directions) on Leslie near the condos and park entrance never have more than a couple of people at them ever. Robinson pushed it so she could claim in her 2014 re-election bid that she was fighting for her constituents while it cost her nothing. The massive inconvenience to Leasiders of having Eglinton restricted by the TBM launch shaft and who receive no benefit from the Leslie stop does not matter to Robinson as she doesn't represent Leaside. It was a politically savvy move by Robinson; subtle but led to a poor outcome. Had the launch shaft been built in the Science Centre north lot at Don Mills it would have made a lot more sense.

Now, the condo dwellers will still have to walk about 300m down (and up) Leslie to wait in the open air Leslie stop. Or the few who use transit at all could get on the bus at their front door (as they do now) and take it directly to Laird Station and wait underground for LRT or alternatively stay on board the bus and go directly to Line 2 at Donlands station or go north to Line 4 at Leslie subway station at Sheppard.

If they want to name this stop (which will probably have Bessarion-like ridership numbers) after the park the only two logical choices are Wilket Creek Park (park north side of Eglinton at Leslie) or E.T. Seton Park which is on the south side of Eglinton , directly south of the LRT platforms. Maybe they could get corporate sponsorship and simply call it "On the Park" stop.

Last edited:
So we should name it after something few have heard of, even though it's at the primary entrance to a major park most have heard of?

Back