News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 427     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Which is my point - what make or break isn't the stop itself, but how well you run the line. All the creature comforts can't save you if you fail at that - just because you have a heat lamp won't keep people from giving up on transit.

AoD

Unlike bus stops, Its a longer way from good shelter along these areas on Eglinton when the inevitable occurs. Enclosures with better coverage should be reconsidered here.

St.Clair stops isn't enough to brave the cold Toronto weather for longer than 1-2 minutes..

At minimum, LRT stops need to be enclosed and have inside heating for them to be taken seriously vs subway.

5-10 minutes of walking is bearable if you know you will be able to rest in a REAL shelter for awhile.
A cover isn't going to do much. Wilson, Lawrence West, Glencarin, Eglinton West, Davisville and Rosedale are all freezing cold. Bus terminals at Lawrence West and Wilson are enclosed but they are still freezing cold. The term "subway" is really irrelevant. It just happens that underground stations aren't exposed to the weather.

A cover isn't going to do much. Wilson, Lawrence West, Glencarin, Eglinton West, Davisville and Rosedale are all freezing cold. Bus terminals at Lawrence West and Wilson are enclosed but they are still freezing cold. The term "subway" is really irrelevant. It just happens that underground stations aren't exposed to the weather.
Maybe that's why I barely see anyone getting on/off Rosedale...

The REAL subway stops like Bloor/Yonge, Osgoode, St.George, etc. are properly shielded from the elements and you could wait in them for 10 minutes or even longer no probs.

The REAL subway stops like Bloor/Yonge, Osgoode, St.George, etc. are properly shielded from the elements and you could wait in them for 10 minutes or even longer no probs.

If you're claiming Rosedale isn't a 'real' subway station, or that only fully underground stations have high usage, then it's obvious you're just trolling now.

If you're claiming Rosedale isn't a 'real' subway station, or that only fully underground stations have high usage, then it's obvious you're just trolling now.

if you want to get overly technical - Rosedale it isn't a real "subway" station by definition because a subway is defined as something that is underground (subterranean)

if you want to get overly technical - Rosedale it isn't a real "subway" station by definition because a subway is defined as something that is underground (subterranean)

That doesn't seem overly technical at all, unless Webster's or AskJeeves is smarter than I realized.

I also like how some people pretend as if underground stations aren't actually cold in the winter.

Exactly. Castle Frank is surrounded by bridges on both side and definitely gets cold. Old Mill is half underground and half elevated. So I guess one half balmy the other half frigid...er, system error

Reactions: rbt
If your standards are low, you can only expect sub-par results. Montreal is currently investing million$ for heated sidewalks, not even transit lines, sidewalks; and here we are settling for exposed streetcar-esque shelters as a standard for a newly built $6.6 billion 'rapid transit' line.

And here I thought the David Miller Legacy Rail was meant to extol and showoff the virtues of LRT.

If they can heat the GO train platforms with in-floor heating, they can do the same with the outdoor Crosstown LRT platforms.
go-lakeshore-ajax-201406-01.jpg

If they can heat the GO train platforms with in-floor heating, they can do the same with the outdoor Crosstown LRT platforms.
The heating on the platforms is only to eliminate the need to salt them in the winter. While this does improve rider experience (not splashing through salty slush) it really makes no comfort difference

I think it got sated earlier in the thread that they don't want to put heat lamps in them because they don't want to attract homeless people to use them for shelter thus driving away people from boarding. Alos in theory you shouldn't have to wait very long for one of them to come along, I'm not sure if they have yet stated what they want the headways to be. Also comparing the headways of streetcars in mixed traffic isn't really good representation. St. Clair Spadina and Harborfront all run a bit smother except for a few places because of crossing over streets her they need to wait for cars to clear the intersection.

The Crosstown isn't downtown where the majority of homeless people are, also that's a BS argument. Why aren't they overcrowding the subway entrances?

St.Clair being chaotic in rush hour is a disgrace and doesn't bring lots of confidence about LRT

Actually, how about Rosedale is not well used because that's not where the density is - and Davisville is not particularly well shielded either. Besides, you don't wait for 10 minutes or even longer for a subway - if you do, your system is already messed up given the frequencies we run at.

AoD

From a 2013 report, at this link:

The committed alignment of the Eglinton Crosstown LRT would run along Eglinton Avenue between Kennedy Station and Mt Dennis Station (west of Black Creek). The extended alignment of the Eglinton Crosstown LRT would run along Eglinton Avenue between Kennedy Station and Pearson International Airport. The Eglinton Crosstown LRT is coded to operate at a 4-minute frequency and at an average speed of 25 km/h when above ground and at 32 km/h along the underground section.

Hopefully, waiting 4 minutes will not seem to be an eternity.

can you imagine the cost of heating outdoor platform. Lets be realistic. Our winter are nothing like they use to be.

Back