News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 424     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

This is a really good point. However, you're missing one crucial part of this "fastest" route, the fares.

Fares should not be a problem in this case. TTC will continue to operate bus #38 along Ellesmere. A 38E express is likely to be added, or a branch of 190 Rocket can be extended to UTSC.

If bus-only lanes are added on Ellesmere as part of Durham Pulse BRT, surely the TTC buses will be able to use them within the Toronto borders.

Last edited:
No money for platform screen doors, of course. Safety is "gravy".
I wouldn't say gravy just not a part of the initial building cost they are making allowances fro them to be put in later though. I would assume they would want to cost it out so they an spread it out over a few years like they are with the elevators at the current sations.

I agree totally, LRT was always advertised in Toronto as basically a subway but above ground in the median of a street. This isn't really the case, LRT is more of an enhanced surface route rather than a rapid transit route. This isn't a bad thing at all though, LRT is still a major improvement over buses and it doesn't need to be as fast as a subway as long as it's reliable and stops where necessary. It's perfect for some corridors including Eglinton East and Finch West, just because it wont be as fast as the subway doesn't mean it will be slow, what's the point of having surface transit when the stops are so inaccessible (1 km away from each other)

Actually, I'd like to see some LRT corridors tailored for faster cross-town trips, and some other corridors tailored for local service.

Half of Eglinton West is underground out of necessity. If we add a surface section with wide stop spacing between Mt Dennis and the airport lands, we'll get a fast route from the airport all the way to Yonge.

Another corridor where fast LRT may be useful is Sheppard. It can incorporate the existing subway tunnel. It can provide truly rapid transit to the underserved north-east, while the western end can eventually reach the Etobicoke North RER station and then head to the airport.

A less rapid LRT can be installed in a number of other corridors, including Eglinton East, Finch (W + E), the eastern half of ECLRT, maybe Victoria Park and Kipling. Those lines will be faster than mixed-traffic buses, but have relatively frequent stop spacing that encourages local density.

Just to avoid any confusion: ECLRT West and East will remain a single continuous route, even if the stop patterns in the west and east are somewhat different.

Last edited:
Fares should not be a problem in this case. TTC will continue to operate bus #38 along Ellesmere. A 38E express is likely to be added, or a branch of 190 Rocket can be extended to UTSC.

If bus-only lanes are added on Ellesmere as part of Durham Pulse BRT, surely the TTC buses will be able to use them within the Toronto borders.
I would want that 190 Rocket from Don Mills to Scarborough Centre to UTSC! That's actually a really valid proposal. (Of course I'm saying this because I would use it. Which is the same as what people say about the Sheppard Stubway).

There is an enormous crane being assembled on the east side of Yonge on Eglinton in the same on-street workspace as the other Crosstown work. Would this be to remove the eastern TBMs, or for something else? (Given the huge size of the base, I'm not sure how far the crane can actually rotate without contacting the adjacent buildings.)

IMG_3852.JPG

IMG_3850.JPG

IMG_3848.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3852.JPG
    IMG_3852.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_3850.JPG
    IMG_3850.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_3848.JPG
    IMG_3848.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 284
Metrolinx bids a grateful adieu to Crosstown tunnel boring machines

TORONTO: March 10, 2017 – On Monday, March 13, 2017, Metrolinx will begin the process of extracting the tunnel boring machines (TBM)—reaching a significant milestone in the Eglinton Crosstown light rail transit project. After more than three years of tunnelling, the TBMs will begin their gradual ascension from the extraction shaft.

Although the majority of the activity will take place during the night (to limit impact on traffic), the public may see some of the extraction happening on Eglinton Avenue East at Holly Street (east of Yonge Street) during the day.

Date: Monday, March 13, 2017
Time: 0900hrs* – 1200noon (*start time is tentative – dependant on weather and other factors)
Location: Eglinton Avenue E. at Holly St. (east of Yonge Street).

TBM ‘Don’, the machine that bored the north tunnel, will be removed first over a period of days. The cutting head will be the first section to resurface and be hauled away, followed by the forward shield, the trailing shield and finally the stationary shield. TBM ‘Humber’ will be removed in a similar fashion over a week in April.

Both Don and Humber are 10 metres long, 6.5 metres in diameter and weigh approximately 400 tonnes. Each of the machines’ segments will be carefully lifted from the extraction shaft, swung around 180 degrees and placed on the ground within the construction zone, and later, during the night, will be loaded onto a truck and hauled away.

In August 2016, Don and Humber completed their journeys, having travelled 3.3 kilometres from where they started at the Brentcliffe Road launch shaft in September 2015. Each machine installed 26,178 precast tunnel liners that formed 2,182 rings. Six concrete segments make up one ring. After their months of hard work and loyal service, Don and Humber will be taken to a storage site. The machines used for the west tunnels, TBM Dennis and TBM Lea, will be removed at a later date in coordination with station construction.

One of the largest transit construction projects in the country, the Eglinton Crosstown LRT represents a $5.3 billion (2010$) transit improvement investment by the Government of Ontario, which is creating tens of thousands of design and construction jobs. When in service in 2021, the Crosstown will bring new fast, reliable and comfortable transit to Toronto residents, integrated with existing TTC and GO Transit services. Construction on the Crosstown began in 2011 with the west launch area at Black Creek Drive and Eglinton Avenue.

I notice the TBM's will be removed to a storage site. Does this mean they can be reused for other projects? If so, would that make a continuous transit build marginally cheaper than the stop-start approach we follow?

I notice the TBM's will be removed to a storage site. Does this mean they can be reused for other projects? If so, would that make a continuous transit build marginally cheaper than the stop-start approach we follow?
I thought they were pretty much scrap now that the company that built them, has exited the TBM business. I'd think there's be parts issues and rehab issues. Wasn't this their last contract?

Back