News   May 14, 2024
 150     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 13, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

A streetcar can take an 8% grade, while a light rail vehicle is restricted to a 5% grade. A heavy rail vehicle is preferred to restrict itself to 3%. So those grade changes along the Crosstown are minimal for a light rail, a heavy rail setup would have to be more level.
It's just a cost thing. Most modern systems are designed for 5% with 2 powered and 1 unpowered bogie (30m length). The new streetcars have all powered bogies.

Is the Science Centre Station underground at Don Mills? If it is, the. Won't there be 5 changes in grade along the Crosstown? At Mount Dennis, Liard, Don mills, Don mills, Kennedy. I feel like this is inefficient and should be underground all the way, but it's too late for that :mad:
Ummm sir, Toronto isn't flat. Even underground, the tunnels go up and down. There is change of grade (sloping) on the entire line. Burying the entire line would just cost over $10B. Here's what the engineering term "grade" actually means: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grade_(slope)

Not really. Dufferin is a tough street to service, really high demand for a bus but an extremely constricted right of way. A subway wouldn't really get enough ridership to make sense, but regular bus service is severely inadequate.

The city is studying how to improve transit service on. The corridor right now, but I'm not sure if they are thinking full infrastructure changes or just minor improvements like queue jump lanes.

The Crosstown LRT can help Dufferin a little bit, by intercepting the bus at Dufferin and Eglinton and diverting the crowd to Eglinton West Station on Line 1 instead and taking some pressure off Dufferin Station on Line 2, which would be welcomed as Dufferin is busiest/densest between Castlefield and Dupont.
The LRT can basically do what the St Clair streetcar couldn't.

Dufferin is very local. People heading downtown would probably prefer streetcar spacing (easier walking) and transfer to the next major intersection than to take it straight down to Bloor. Of course if you're going from Wilson Station to Dufferin Station and southwards, it's about that same via bus or subway (transferring at St George). Dufferin is rather hilly between Lawrence and St Clair. LRT spacing would drive away some of the local demand, especially in winter. Traffic wise, it would be a disaster.

The Crosstown LRT can help Dufferin a little bit, by intercepting the bus at Dufferin and Eglinton and diverting the crowd to Eglinton West Station on Line 1 instead and taking some pressure off Dufferin Station on Line 2, which would be welcomed as Dufferin is busiest/densest between Castlefield and Dupont.
The LRT can basically do what the St Clair streetcar couldn't.
I actually don't know what LRT can do on Dufferin. Stuff it underground? Might as well build the Jane LRT instead. Dufferin is better off with bus lanes and a mix of local and express buses. There are way too many traffic lights on St Clair and Dufferin.

Dufferin is very local. People heading downtown would probably prefer streetcar spacing (easier walking) and transfer to the next major intersection than to take it straight down to Bloor. Of course if you're going from Wilson Station to Dufferin Station and southwards, it's about that same via bus or subway (transferring at St George). Dufferin is rather hilly between Lawrence and St Clair. LRT spacing would drive away some of the local demand, especially in winter. Traffic wise, it would be a disaster.

I actually don't know what LRT can do on Dufferin. Stuff it underground? Might as well build the Jane LRT instead. Dufferin is better off with bus lanes and a mix of local and express buses. There are way too many traffic lights on St Clair and Dufferin.
so why LRT on Jane vs LRT on Dufferin

so why LRT on Jane vs LRT on Dufferin
Because Dufferin is already too close to the Spadina Line and wouldn't benefit the network if an underground alignment is chosen. Jane has a similar problem of being too narrow and would need to be underground. Thus if an underground LRT is needed, Jane should get a LRT before Dufferin.

How the Eglinton Crosstown LRT will transform Toronto

A lot of highlights on the development outside Yonge and Eg.
WEll I am still trying to figure out how Eglinton is wide enough for 2 lanes travelling east and 2 lanes travelling west along with 2 lanes for the LRT (one in each direction). Actully I just realized the photo must be of land in the east where from what has been written on this forum is wide enough as the LRT will be underground in the central section. But even in the central section to also make room for bike lanes and increase sidewalks and have boulevards, its just not wide enough unless you go down to 1 car lane in each direction. Photos evens ones showing condo development when developers are trying to sell them to local communities always show this low rise fronting the street with bike lanes, wide sidewalks and boulevards with retail at ground level. The finished product is not the same. You don't see designated bike lanes or side boulevards with trees beside wide sidewalks

I hope that they include parking laybys in Etobicoke and Scarborough for street parking and breakdown lanes.

3105488.png

At least let them have somewhere to go with their fenderbenders, so they don't block the traffic lanes.

I disagree that Dufferin is mostly local or that it is very close to Spadina line, in that, there isn't an proper connection to/traffic towards Spadina subway stations (Not a lot of people transfer to St Clair West or Dupont, which is why I was saying Crosstown can change that by moving people to Cedarvale) . I lived there for 3 years and the 29 bus southbound fills up from Lawrance and below, just to simply unload all at Bloor (and vice versa; the bus fills up at Bloor and just empties along the way). So it's closest to a subway shuttle as it gets. While Dufferin between Bloor till Castlefield is a lot denser than it's being given credit for, there isn't many destinations on Dufferin itself on that stretch. So streetcar spacing would be useless.

I'm not familiar with Jane so can't speak Dufferin vs. Jane, but Dufferin with its density (houses typically occupied by multiple families, with multiple children) and low income demographic easily warrants an LRT type of solution, construction limitations aside.

Last edited:
29 Dufferin did not go south of Eglinton Avenue until after March 26, 1962. It was merged with the 73 South Dufferin, which only ran between St. Clair Avenue West and Queen Street West, also until March 26, 1962. Also why the Dufferin Subway Station was and is only a on-street transfer, when the Line 2 Bloor-Danforth Subway opened on February 26, 1966, there wasn't much ridership on the 29 route when the station was designed back in the early 1960's.

See link.

Last edited:
29 Dufferin did not go south of Eglinton Avenue until after March 26, 1962. It was merged with the 73 South Dufferin, which only ran between St. Clair Avenue West and Queen Street West, also until March 26, 1962. Also why the Dufferin Subway Station was and is only a on-street transfer, when the Line 2 Bloor-Danforth Subway opened on February 26, 1966, there wasn't much ridership on the 29 route when the station was designed back in the early 1960's.

See link.

It is 2017.

How is any of that relevant?

Furthermore, how is any of that relevant to the point of this thread, which is the Eglinton Crosstown LRT?

Back