News   Jul 12, 2024
 857     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 772     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 324     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I would imagine that this presentation would be intended to inform the populace about their plans, which would be quite helpful if you don't want any ill-informed resistance (à la Transit City or the St. Clair ROW) to pop up.

Why did they bother with that presentation? There's absolutely nothing new or interesting in it.
I don't think there's supposed to be. The idea is that Wynne and Stintz are taking the previous presentation they did and taking it to the local communities. I'd think the question/answer might be the most interesting part.

Quite frankly, I'm quite impressed that the Minister of Transportation and the TTC Chair are doing a road show together.

I don't think there's supposed to be. The idea is that Wynne and Stintz are taking the previous presentation they did and taking it to the local communities. I'd think the question/answer might be the most interesting part.

Quite frankly, I'm quite impressed that the Minister of Transportation and the TTC Chair are doing a road show together.

I think it's a very calculated move. The more people you can get informed and on-side with the project now, the harder it will be for Hudak to come in later and cancel the project, as he would then have to face a firestorm of negative public reaction.

If you make people want something really badly, the more pissed off they will be if it is taken away from them.

LOL - I doubt it's that calculated ... though I wouldn't be surprised if Wynne has her re-election in her own riding in mind - remember the Eglinton line goes right through Wynne's riding.

I would imagine that this presentation would be intended to inform the populace about their plans, which would be quite helpful if you don't want any ill-informed resistance (à la Transit City or the St. Clair ROW) to pop up.
Indeed. In fact, I was just talking to someone that didn't even know the Eglinton "subway" plan existed. I had incorrectly assumed that just about everyone and their dog had heard about it already.

Eglinton-Scarborough Crosstown Update

TTC has what their contact i spoke to called an "interim" project website at www.crosstown.ttc.ca . At a meeting hosted by the Mount Dennis Community Association on Tuesday, they noted they'll be starting work on a better new site soon.

The "overview" link shows the recent presentations. In addition to June 21, they have a June 30th Minister and TTC Chair meeting. Looks like they provide the same general overview (as April and May meetings) with some info tailored to the local community. Maybe by June 30 they'll have more construction info?

Date: June 30th, 2011
Time: 7:00pm - 8:30pm
Location: York Civic Centre Council Chamber - 2700 Eglinton Avenue West

Curious.................what is going to happen to Eglinton when it's done?
I know Malvern is on the "to do" list but what about west expansion? Is the long term view to continue to tunnel to Pearson or make the line a big "U" by heading north at the GO line up to Weston and eventually Humber College?

Steve Munro just got more info about the project.

Here's an interesting tidbit about proposed frequencies for the line. Service level seems to about as good as a moderately used bus line for TTC standards.

In response to a question about the level of service riders might see, a Metrolinx official replied that there would likely be 3-car LRV trains running every 6 minutes at peak, 12 at off peak. Metrolinx needs to understand that “rapid transit†is not the same as a GO train every hour. On a route where the average journey will likely be under 20 minutes (few will make the 45 minute trip from STC to Jane), long headways will contribute substantially to the trip length and to a perception that service is less than adequate. There’s a reason why the TTC runs subway trains every five minutes whether they are needed or not.

That's horrible, US style service!
Aren't they going to automate this thing to bring down operational costs? I know under Miller that would have offended his pro-union sensibilities but surely that can't be an issue with Ford?

More trains can be added later. I think that building the entire thing first should be the priority, not worrying about the level of service.

If those will be their frequencies, I think that they should be considering using 2-car trains temporarily with 4 minute-frequency during rush hours and 8 minutes during off-peak. When ridership builds up, then they can start appending a third car.

Also, since this line will be grade-separated, there won't be any delays to intersections at all, unlike those cities who will build LRTs on-street. I'm not sure but either Hamilton or Waterloo Region says that their LRTs cannot be more frequent than 5 minutes since it will severely interfere with traffic and buses crossing intersections.

Back