News   Jul 12, 2024
 787     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 710     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 303     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Side topic, but will the Eglinton line use the abandoned bus terminal lands in any way? Hell, does anyone know what the TTC plans on doing with that land anymore?

My understanding is that it's being reserved for construction staging so they have a place to put equipment, etc.

How much savings would there be if the Eglinton-Crosstown went on ground level (South Side of Eglinton) from the original Eastern Portal (After Laird) then below ground for Don Mills till past DVP, this time ascending in the middle lanes west of the Wynford Dr interchange (for which there should be a spadina subway style middle station with pedestrian walkways) then proceeding in the median with full priority until it enters underground again just before Victoria Park. My guess is 1 billion?

As i live outside Toronto for the first time spending the summer here in Calgary, i still don't understand why we can't use crossing arms for our LRT system! It would really change the perception of light rail in toronto and would actually protect trains from stupid drivers that decide to run red lights...

If only the TTC could do a trial of crossing arms on the Queensway between Parkdale and the Humber Loop, they can study the benefits of it and see if its something that can work in toronto! As a born and raised Torontonian, i never believed in "Transit Priority" because it was always a failure here but now that i see it fully in action in Calgary, especially on 7th Avenue, i can see light rail being a great mode of transportation in Toronto provided that it acts less like a streetcar and more like a rapid transit line (like calgary).

From a while ago in this topic, there was a problem that the arms would lower too frequently once LRT frequencies rise, and something about the crossing arms freezing over the winter (is there such a thing as heated crossing arms?)

From a while ago in this topic, there was a problem that the arms would lower too frequently once LRT frequencies rise, and something about the crossing arms freezing over the winter (is there such a thing as heated crossing arms?)

Well the first point is possible but the second one...i doubt it...Calgary/Edmonton are way way colder than Toronto, i don't think that should be a problem at all

Light Rail is excellent but Toronto's flavour of light rail isn't

Further to the first point, so long as the blocks are long, capacity improvements can be made with longer vehicles. Not the most desirable solution from a service frequency standpoint, but realistically the line wouldn't run out of capacity. This is the situation that Edmonton is currently finding itself in. They can't raise frequencies because of all the level crossings, so they've just extended all the platforms to 5-car lengths (previously 3-car lengths).

The TTC has a new section for this on their site, and they've branded it "The Crosstown"... I guess they're going for something slick but also hopelessly vague and imprecise?

There's also 2 meeting coming up: http://www3.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Projects_and_initiatives/The_Crosstown/Events.jsp
Open House - Keelesdale Park Bridge Study
Date: May 25, 2011
Time: 7:00pm to 9:00pm
Location: 2562 Eglinton Avenue West (east of Keele Street) “Services for Seniors Building”

Crosstown Project Update

Date: May 31st, 2011
Time: 7:00pm - 8:30pm

Probably buried in this thread 800 times by now but do they have an estimated date when construction on the line should start?

Just got a Let Go Know survey on the name and log for the Eglinton line. The primary name being tested was "Crosstown" with variants including "Eglinton" and "Eglinton Scarborough" in the name, as well as "MIdtown" replacing "Crosstown".

A couple of strange points though:

1) Why is Metrolinx deciding the marketing of what will be operating as a TTC line? Yes, I know they will own it, but apparently their involvement will go much further.

2) They also tested slogans for the line, all of which were variations on a "Connecting Communities" theme. Looks like Metrolinx doesn't know or care that DRT has been using exactly this tagline for the past five years.

3) Why is Metrolinx surveying GO Transit passengers? Shouldn't they be surveying TTC passengers?

Last edited:
Just got a Let Go Know survey on the name and log for the Eglinton line. The primary name being tested was "Crosstown" with variants including "Eglinton" and "Eglinton Scarborough" in the name, as well as "MIdtown" replacing "Crosstown".

A couple of strange points though:

1) Why is Metrolinx deciding the marketing of what will be operating as a TTC line? Yes, I know they will own it, but apparently their involvement will go much further.

2) They also tested slogans for the line, all of which were variations on a "Connecting Communities" theme. Looks like Metrolinx doesn't know or care that DRT has been using exactly this tagline for the past five years.

3) Why is Metrolinx surveying GO Transit passengers? Shouldn't they be surveying TTC passengers?

Really, the provincial transportation ministry switched to the damage-control mode after Ford has been elected. And IMO, Ms. Wynne did a good job on that.

Speaking of marketing, has anyone caught the new Metrolinx ad (featuring Jack Collins) on TV lately? The Eglinton Crosstown is a major focus. Here's a vid: http://vimeo.com/24229993

It seems to be part of some kind of re-branding exercise (see new website: http://metrolinx.com).

More vids here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Metrolinx/109418588034?sk=app_2392950137

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Eglinton Scarborough is all wrong. One is a name of a street (Avenue really) and the other a former borough. If that is the case you might as well say York-Scarborough. Its now all of Toronto. I see no reason why Scarborough name should be on there. The TTC does not call the University-Spadina lne, University-North York

It should be the Eglinton line to be consistent with the other lines (Spadina-University, Bloor-Danforth) since the whole road from one end to the other is Eglinton.

I think Eglinton Scarborough is all wrong. One is a name of a street (Avenue really) and the other a former borough. If that is the case you might as well say York-Scarborough. Its now all of Toronto. I see no reason why Scarborough name should be on there. The TTC does not call the University-Spadina lne, University-North York

It should be the Eglinton line to be consistent with the other lines (Spadina-University, Bloor-Danforth) since the whole road from one end to the other is Eglinton.

My impression was that "Scarborough" was included to reflect the fact that the current Scarborough RT is being upgraded and integrated into this project. Not sure if the ultimate name for the line will include the Scarborough part but if it does, it'll be a nod to the current Scarborough RT.

Personally, I don't care what they name it as long as it actually gets built. Well, I might object if they call it the "Ford Subway". ;) That's almost as bad as "Mel Lastman Square". How did it get that abomination of a name anyway?

Back