News   Jul 12, 2024
 720     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 666     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 295     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Much better to get at least something started now... because the longer something gets delayed, the greater the likelihood it just gets cancelled altogether. Which could be a real possibility if (when) Hudak gets elected.

I can't help but to believe that our politicians are lying to us, when they tell us Canada is fairing the best through this economic downturn when I see countries that are supposedly on the verge of going bust (ie USA, Spain, etc) are still expanding their infrastructure at rate that makes us look like we're moving backwards.

But if you read the above carefully they are not beginning to tunnel in the central portion that has the final EA, they are starting at blackcreek which needs updated EA's as it was not initially supposed to be underground.

The original tunnel plan in the existing EA starts just east of Black Creek and goes east from there. They were going to start the digging of the round tunnel bore there anyways. What goes west at that point should be covered in the EA, with amendments to cover Rob Ford's phobia.

Note that no tunneling is scheduled to occur until mid-2012. By then, the EA amendments should be approved (EA update was estimated to take 12-16 months). The construction that begins in July 2011 is to create the launch site for the tunnel boring machines.

The original tunnel plan in the existing EA starts just east of Black Creek and goes east from there. They were going to start the digging of the round tunnel bore there anyways. What goes west at that point should be covered in the EA, with amendments to cover Rob Ford's phobia.

Is it a phobia of aboveground rail, or a Freudian desire to be in a tunnel? ;)

Are the above-ground stations in the Scarborough portion expected to go underground? I really think we could axe at least half of them. Keep Leslie, Don Mills, Wynford or Bermondsey (but not both), Vic Park, Warden, Birchmount and Kennedy. The rest of them are bound to be stations that get 2,000 pax per day and cost tens of millions of dollars to construct.

Are the above-ground stations in the Scarborough portion expected to go underground? I really think we could axe at least half of them. Keep Leslie, Don Mills, Wynford or Bermondsey (but not both), Vic Park, Warden, Birchmount and Kennedy. The rest of them are bound to be stations that get 2,000 pax per day and cost tens of millions of dollars to construct.

Above ground will be expected in the SRT portion, since all you need is remove SRT technology, is the track gague LRT standard? extension and lowering of platform unless the tracks will be raised, and pantograph wires galore

Above ground will be expected in the SRT portion, since all you need is remove SRT technology, is the track gague LRT standard? extension and lowering of platform unless the tracks will be raised, and pantograph wires galore

Standard gauge. The roof of the existing station will be raise for the overhead. It will be rised more if the track are raise up to meet the current platforms levels for the new LRTs.

Standard gauge. The roof of the existing station will be raise for the overhead. It will be rised more if the track are raise up to meet the current platforms levels for the new LRTs.

Or if the platforms are hollow like the subway platforms, they can just lower the platforms.

Dundas Street station platforms being constructed around 1951:
s0574_fl0054_id49754.jpg

I think it is all smoke and mirrors really. They are building on Eglinton and not Sheppard. Has the Black Creek launch site moved so that it is now a launch shaft which would allow the tunnel to continue west underground when extended? No. Is the launch site re-arranged so that it could be an elevated structure over Black Creek Drive (i.e. has it moved north or south so as not to interfere with Eglinton)? No. Are they now planning on running subway equipment through the tunnel (i.e. Toronto Rockets and TTC gauge)? No. Are they going to launch the other boring machine from Kennedy? No. Basically right now they are doing nothing that they weren't going to do before besides not spending money on Sheppard and Finch. It will really be up to the mayor elected in 2015 to figure out what gets built outside the central Eglinton portion and Ford at that time will need to explain why nothing has been built in Scarborough or on Sheppard yet. Call me cynical but if Ford had actually won the support of subways then they would be building a subway under Eglinton, not an LRT. What he seems to have won is not building anything other than Eglinton for 4 years.

For all intents and purposes, underground LRT is subway. It's fast, good capacity, and underground.

Some here may not share his view, but nonetheless in terms of his desire for an Eglinton subway, this is a huge win for him.

I still don't understand why the city went with LRT as opposed to a subway.
Is it that the current SRT will be easier to transfer over to an LRT route? BTW, how long do they expect the SRT to be down while they transfer the track over to LRT?

For all intents and purposes, underground LRT is subway. It's fast, good capacity, and underground.

Some here may not share his view, but nonetheless in terms of his desire for an Eglinton subway, this is a huge win for him.

Also, if I have it correctly, a big reason that we arent going full subway (other issues like cost and whether or not its currently necessary aside) is because we were commited to LRT vehicle order that couldnt be cancelled without large penalties

Also, if I have it correctly, a big reason that we arent going full subway (other issues like cost and whether or not its currently necessary aside) is because we were commited to LRT vehicle order that couldnt be cancelled without large penalties
Yes, if the LRT vehicles hadn't already been ordered, different ones may have been ordered under this subway plan. But to the general public, the perception is that underground LRT = subway... as it should be, since for all intensive dolphins, it is.

Sounds like a big win for Toronto. I'm sure that the LRT vehicles are more than enough capacity on Eglinton for now.

I'm curious though, how easy would it be to expand capacity on the line? Beyond coupling more vehicles together, which would likely be pretty easy. Would it be possible to eventually convert it so that the new subway cars could be run through it? Are allowances being made for that?

Back