News   Jul 16, 2024
 673     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 596     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 734     2 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

they don't know what kind of soil they are going to drill into ahead of time? Maybe not where the boundaries are but surely geological drilling gave them some clue.

I don't know which I object to more.... the lack of sophistication of the average resident, or the disingenuous and intelligence-insulting replies from the Metrolinx spokesperson.

Of course they knew what was down there - this from the EA

http://thecrosstown.ca/sites/defaul...wings-borehole-stratigraphy-dwgs-67-to-81.pdf

http://thecrosstown.ca/sites/defaul...ixh-noise-and-vibration-assessment-report.pdf

Now, maybe the data was faulty - wouldn't be the first time - but to say they didn't consider this ahead of time is just plain incorrect.

- Paul

More movement!!!!
westtbmsfeb8.JPG
easttbmsfeb8.JPG

Attachments

• easttbmsfeb8.JPG
    easttbmsfeb8.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 568
  • westtbmsfeb8.JPG
    westtbmsfeb8.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 590
Russell Oliver might complain about the noise once the TBMs approach his jewellery store (and the machines may breach into his hidden golden stash).

He's the last person that would complain. As a businessman, he knows the benefits of the line and welcomes the minor delays.

CauSEi8UUAEvCoq.jpg

Some food for thought regarding stop spacing and speed of Crosstown West. The Transit City scheme, which would have had stops about every 670 meters, was expected to have a speed of 28 to 31 km/h. That's only 1 to 3 km/h slower than a hypothetical subway on the same corridor, and the exact speed or faster than the Yonge Line and Bloor-Danforth Line, both of whom have speeds of 28 to 29 km/h.

It's interesting that Metrolink is leading the evaluation of these alternatives, and not the City.

If ST was going to use the Weston line, one can see why ML would want to control the decisionmaking. But if it's not connected to a ML line, already part of the Smarttrack envelope, and the Province is only providing cash to ST and otherwise letting Tory lead it, their leadership is less necessary.

- Paul

Last edited:
Where's the option for grade separated intersections and balanced stops (mix of options 2 and 4)?

No stops on Martin Grove, Islington, Royal York and Jane is not good. The 32 would need to keep running frequently during rush hour. What's with the Scarlett stop? That's John Tory's ST stop. That stop is not busier than Jane or Islington.

Scarlett stop would probably intercept the buses from Dixon, a rather dense area for Etobicoke. At least that is how I would re-route the bus network here after the Crosstown opens. That's my guess as to why the Scarlett stop is in all the various options.

Personally, I would argue for the stop profile of Option 2 and the grade separation/ROW profile of options 4-5.

- Paul

Scarlett is the closest stop to Rob Ford's house. No need for a stop in his neighbourhood, since he always drives. (Except for photo ops.):p

Seriously, I have a preference for Option 1, followed by Option 2. However, Martin Grove & Eglington is one of the most traffic congested intersections in Toronto. That stop needs to be grade separated. Islington & Eglinton are in a depression, surrounded by small knolls, perfect for the LRT to pass overhead.:)

Scarlett stop would probably intercept the buses from Dixon, a rather dense area for Etobicoke. At least that is how I would re-route the bus network here after the Crosstown opens. That's my guess as to why the Scarlett stop is in all the various options.
A lot of people ride on Dixon to Weston Rd. and Jane The 52A/B/D would not be routed down Scarlett Rd. It simply makes no sense. The LRT would have taken all the riders from the airport already. Rerouting the 52G to Mt. Dennis Station via Black Creek makes more sense. Alternatively they can also consider Jane or Weston Rd. to Mt. Dennis Station.

Back