News   Jul 09, 2024
 794     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 610     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

That would also be a huge reduction in service between Yonge & Leslie on Eglinton, which is extremely busy
They can run a 34 short turn branch to Don Mills and allocate some buses for relief service like they did with the 32. This would make the 54 more reliable instead of having them stuck in traffic in the Leaside area.

Our front page story on the SmartTrack reports (and how they relate to Crosstown West) is here.

With all the construction and terrible traffic going on at Eglinton, I think it would be wise if the TTC reroutes the Lawrence East bus so that it avoids Eglinton entirely. Have it go to Lawrence station until the Crosstown is complete.

View attachment 64329
One time I had to get across during rush hour and thought I was a genius by taking the Bridle Path. Turns out everyone knows about it and the place was jammed. The volume is probably manageable but that neighbourhood uses 4 way stops.

Also Bayview from Lawrence to Post road is usually jammed. And the affluent people of the neighbourhood would probably object to so many buses. The nannies and maids would love it though!

With all the construction and terrible traffic going on at Eglinton, I think it would be wise if the TTC reroutes the Lawrence East bus so that it avoids Eglinton entirely. Have it go to Lawrence station until the Crosstown is complete.
Eglinton should not be that bad. The portal near Brentcliffe was built on the south side, not just to keep it grade-separated to Don Mills, but also so they could keep 2 lanes open during construction.

Oops.

Recently, they've mentioned that Eglington Avenue West and Martin Grove Road is one of the 10 most congested intersections in Toronto. I would expect this intersection to get even more congested, both during and after the construction of the Eglinton Crosstown LRT extension.

CYDeHUxUoAAF2Vy.png

See link.

I think they will have to put the Martin Grove (probably another name, since Finch West may get first dibs on the name) stop into a trench, like what is proposed for the Humber College stop on the Finch West LRT. I think a portal to the east of the Eglinton-Martin Grove intersection going into a trench, under the intersection to a stop on the southwest corner of the Eglinton-Martin Grove intersection.

That way, the LRT would avoid the congestion at both the Eglinton-Martin Grove intersection and at the Eglinton West-Highway 27/427/401 intersection entirely.

One time I had to get across during rush hour and thought I was a genius by taking the Bridle Path. Turns out everyone knows about it and the place was jammed. The volume is probably manageable but that neighbourhood uses 4 way stops.

Also Bayview from Lawrence to Post road is usually jammed. And the affluent people of the neighbourhood would probably object to so many buses. The nannies and maids would love it though!
And you are correct, Bayview is very congested north of Lawrence in afternoon rush hour. The 162 is sometimes late too.

I think they will have to put the Martin Grove (probably another name, since Finch West may get first dibs on the name) stop into a trench, like what is proposed for the Humber College stop on the Finch West LRT. I think a portal to the east of the Eglinton-Martin Grove intersection going into a trench, under the intersection to a stop on the southwest corner of the Eglinton-Martin Grove intersection.

That way, the LRT would avoid the congestion at both the Eglinton-Martin Grove intersection and at the Eglinton West-Highway 27/427/401 intersection entirely.

It doesn't have to be a portal. The station could just be under a bridge structure. I wouldn't consider that underground. I'm thinking of the "69 St SW C-Train station" in Calgary but more shallow and less complex. They could also build a shallow tunnel like the tunnel just east of that 69 St SW station. Calgary did blow the budget when they built that West Line through.

From the Eglinton Crosstown Year-In-Review, at this link:

Looking ahead…

While the tunnelling and headwall construction works will continue in the east and west, station construction will begin at the most western part of the line in early 2016. A maintenance and storage facility is also required to house the new vehicles, signaling, communications, and other required infrastructure. In November, a public meeting about the Mount Dennis station and Maintenance Storage Facility (MSF), on what were the former Kodak factory lands.

Along the entire 19-kilometre corridor in 2016, various preparatory work will be carried out. This work includes identification and relocation of utilities, demolition of some acquired properties, assessments for potential noise and vibration impacts, installation of monitoring equipment and evaluations of the soil conditions. All of this work is in preparation for station construction activities. The first station construction work will be visible at Keele as early as January 2016. As always, Community Relations staff will provide information to neighbourhoods prior to construction. The Eglinton Crosstown project will be completed in 2021.

- See more at: http://www.thecrosstown.ca/news-med...osstown-year-in-review-0#sthash.eZN0pa52.dpuf

Recently, they've mentioned that Eglington Avenue West and Martin Grove Road is one of the 10 most congested intersections in Toronto. I would expect this intersection to get even more congested, both during and after the construction of the Eglinton Crosstown LRT extension.

Agree. Grade separation needs to be given very high priority in designing this line wherever it's possible. Let's not do something unimaginative and just put it down the center of the road, where it messes up auto traffic.

At Islington, which is quite busy also, the road intersection is actually in a depression (thanks to it originally being planned as having an expressway over top). There is room for a side-of-road alignment with the LRT staying at the higher level, on a bridge across Islington Ave. That would really help auto traffic. Yes it will add cost, but might mean that some utilities don't have to be moved (savings).

- Paul

Creeping along:

Screen Shot 2016-01-20 at 2.15.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-20 at 2.16.09 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-20 at 2.15.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-20 at 2.15.55 PM.png
    252 KB · Views: 582
  • Screen Shot 2016-01-20 at 2.16.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-20 at 2.16.09 PM.png
    371.9 KB · Views: 617
It's just a damn shame we were 4 years late on the extention decision. Otherwise, the north side ROW on Eglinton wouldve been available for the extension which would have dramatically reduced costs. No we have to get somewhat creative with grade separation (if it is done).

New, improved Transit Plans! Soon, to appear in a thread new you!

From this link:

Revamped Scarborough subway plan would eliminate 2 of 3 planned stations

The new plan — which would offer a direct route from the Kennedy stop to the Scarborough Town Centre stop along McCowan Rd. — would mean $1 billion in savings and not take away potential ridership from Mayor John Tory's ‎proposed SmartTrack line, according to sources.

Those savings would be invested in a new proposed Malvern LRT, envisioned as an extension of the Eglinton Crosstown LRT, which would run northeast from Ellesmere Rd. to the Malvern Town Centre, sources said.
Can't find the napkin this plan was written on. Guess they lost the crayons to draw the map.

CZL7v5XUAAEynFF.jpg:large

So it looks like that the Scarborough-Malvern LRT has risen from the grave, and more importantly, it is going to be interlined with Line 5 (ECLRT).

My very first thought (other than holy crap YES!) is that wouldn't this necessitate some kind of grade separation between Laird and Kennedy station in Scarborough? The kind of demand the SMLRT will dump on the Crosstown will likely overwhelm the capacity of the on-street median design.

This also means that Bloor-Yonge will be slightly relieved while Yonge-Eglinton station becomes a new over-capacity pressure point. This move might have just necessitated the Relief Line to go to Eglinton as part of phase 1. Yonge-Eglinton Station does not have the capacity for this.

So, I am fairly sure the original plan for the SMLRT was for it to not be interlined with the ECLRT, and now the plan will be for interlining. Would this not require a new EA?

Anyway, on the map I spot stations at:

Midland, Falmouth, Brimley-Danforth, McCowan, Eglinton-GO, Mason, Markham Rd, Eglinton-Kingston Rd, Scarborough Golf Club, Guildwood Pkwy, Guildwood GO, Galloway, Lawrence, Morningside, Beath, Ellesmere, UTSC, Toronto Pan-AM Sports Centre

So that is what $1 billion of cost savings from the Scarborough Subway one-stop extension gets us. Presumably leaving the option for future extension to Malvern one day.

They are probably just going to try to sell the SMLRT as an extension of the crosstown, rather than another LRT line, I think there would be less opposition from the LRT haters.

But interlining would not make sense, the line would just be too long at that point, and the ridership east of Kennedy is much higher.

They are probably just going to try to sell the SMLRT as an extension of the crosstown, rather than another LRT line, I think there would be less opposition from the LRT haters.

But interlining would not make sense, the line would just be too long at that point, and the ridership east of Kennedy is much higher.
It is quite obvious from the picture that it is going to be an extension of the Eglinton Crosstown.

Which is not even a bad plan. It just raises the question of grade-separation between Laird and Kennedy.

Back