News   Jul 12, 2024
 964     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 841     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 342     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Jumbo Jet planes to timmins is a horrible comparison, the subway will be fairly busy. the reason its so "bad" (its not as bad as people make it out to be either), is that an LRT can handle the capacity as well. (The ridership falls into the area where its busy enough for a subway but also empty enough for LRT)

You really trust those ridership numbers? We've been fooled before with the Sheppard subway.

the ridership numbers for it are immediate (opening day), while Sheppard was justified using 20 year growth projections. big difference. Especially because sheppard projections had STC and NYCC at almost equal employment levels to downtown.

The Bloor-Danforth extension has existing ridership from the SRT. Hardly comparable to the previous bus on Sheppard.

As long as we are talking, I just want to say how I am still pissed Eglinton West is not being built right now. For the BD? I wish it was going up to finch honestly.

Agreed on Eglinton West; I'm not entirely sold on the BD extension but really as things go it's a better candidate for subway than, say, Sheppard. It won't be as bad as some think.

But the fact Eglinton isn't getting into Etobicoke, or especially the airport, is a shame.

Agreed on Eglinton West; I'm not entirely sold on the BD extension but really as things go it's a better candidate for subway than, say, Sheppard. It won't be as bad as some think.

But the fact Eglinton isn't getting into Etobicoke, or especially the airport, is a shame.
Honestly, depsite what I was telling TJ all the scarborough subway options are bad. If it came down to it, I want the SRT back. That or build both the Sheppard Subway and BD extension and terminate them at STC.

What is there for light rail on Eglinton West to connect to anyways? The airport? Mississauga Transitway? Mississauga? Seems like very low ridership potential. Eglinton East to connect to the lake is obviously a much better option.

The airport is a large employment area. Further, Eglinton West would intercept a lot of busy feeder bus routes and bus routes are the big contributor to subway ridership levels generally speaking.

Eg west is supposed to be really low ridership however.

Second time I've seen you say this. But as far as I know there aren't any reports covering ridership on Egg West. The best thing I could find is this document on Steve Munro's site. In 1986 Eglinton West was projected to move 17,600 pphpd while Sheppard was 15,400. Today, Sheppard Subway has nearly BRT level usage. I suppose Eglinton West would be similar.

Last edited:
I could imagine that Eglinton West extended to the airport and surrounding employment area could generate a good load of ridership, not only from airport and airport-area workers, but also from travellers taking advantage of the standard-TTC-fare rapid transit connection at said airport.

What is there for light rail on Eglinton West to connect to anyways? The airport? Mississauga Transitway? Mississauga? Seems like very low ridership potential. Eglinton East to connect to the lake is obviously a much better option.
SMLRT should have been built too. We both know this should have been a subway. Would have shut so many people up...

The airport is a large employment area. Further, Eglinton West would intercept a lot of busy feeder bus routes and bus routes are the big contributor to subway ridership levels generally speaking.
Bingo. And it's cheaper then UPX, which will fail because it's expensive.

Back