News   Jul 16, 2024
 236     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 365     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Want to wager how long it will be before the LRT is ever extended west.

I'd say we could see plans for a western extension within a year, depending on the outcome of the election in October. The campaigns of the two frontrunners are apparently serious about transit.

If an anti-transit candidate (ahem... RoFo) is elected or if there isn't as much of a focus on transit as some people have been expecting, then I'd say the western extension will be pushed back indefinitely.

I still find it hard to believe with all the stops along the LRT (25) with the majority above ground someone in the east will take it to get all the way to the west and to the airport.

Yeah but that's not who we're building this line for. A daily commute from Scarborough to Etobicoke/Pearson is unusual. Most riders on the ECLRT will be alighting at either Kennedy (Bloor-Danforth), Yonge, Eglinton-Allen (Spadina) or maybe even Don Mills if the Relief Line is built to Eglinton. A typical trip on the ECLRT will probably have no more than 7 stops.

If extended west then more stops. Plus how can times for the LRT running below ground be maintained when the same trains are running above ground and facing lights (I think they will be facing lights).
I don't think this will be a problem. Theoretically the LRT could have full priority over vehicles at smaller intersections and only occasionally have to stop at the larger ones. But we'll have to wait to see how aggressive the signal priority is and how they plan to set up the intersections.

The western extension should cost less the 1 billion and can be built by the city without the province.

Since this is a provincially funded, built and owned project (I've lost track of who will actually operate it -I know Metorlinx wanted to, but TTC objected), the City won't have much say on any future extension. If the City wants to fund it west of Mount Dennis, are we going to have a line that has one segment owned by the province, and another by the City? If anyone can shed some light on who will be opearating it once it opens, that would be appreciated.

Since this is a provincially funded, built and owned project (I've lost track of who will actually operate it -I know Metorlinx wanted to, but TTC objected), the City won't have much say on any future extension. If the City wants to fund it west of Mount Dennis, are we going to have a line that has one segment owned by the province, and another by the City? If anyone can shed some light on who will be opearating it once it opens, that would be appreciated.

I like the username, but I can't really answer this. I assume the ttc will be operating this line.

The western extension would only take a few years to build right (assuming surface ROW)? The great thing about that is that the politicians who approve it will be the ones there at the opening. I think the fast construction time and the cheap cost/km will make it attractive for politicians.

The city could come to an agreement with Metrolinx for it. It wouldn't be too difficult for its operation to be worked out, as the TTC will be the contractor that operates Eglinton.

I'm still not comfortable with Metrolinx owning the ECLRT. If we were to ever have a PC government while the TTC's contract to operate the line expires they'd likely try to privatize the entire line like they did with the 407. Hopefully the TTC owning anything west of Mt. Dennis and east of Kennedy will make this an impossibility.

Do we know why Metrolinx is so adamant on owning ECLRT? They don't seem to care at all about not owning the Relief Line or Bloor-Danforth extension.

Last edited:
I'm still not comfortable with Metrolinx owning the ECLRT. If we were to ever have a PC government while the TTC's contract to operate the line expires they'd likely try to privatize the entire line like they did with the 407. Hopefully the TTC owning anything west of Mt. Dennis and east of Kennedy will make this an impossibility.

Do we know why Metrolinx is so adamant on owning ECLRT? They don't seem to care at all about not owning the Relief Line or Bloor-Danforth extension.

I always assumed it was partly because they were paying for it so they have control, partly to prevent Rob Ford from trying to cancel it completely.

It's been funny watching the crosstown website over the years, it used to have a TTC logo and Metrolinx logo, now they've eradicated any trace of the TTC. The vehicles they show are always green as well.

Is this any particular station?

Are those platform edge doors?

I honestly have know idea its supposed to be yonge and eglinton station in another rendering the entrance to the station was a large condo tower i have not seen before

Back