News   Jul 17, 2024
 144     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 545     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 945     2 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Assuming you mean it costs less than the scarborough subway then yes, although running LRTs almost entirely underground is absurdly stupid and unheard of. Also the SRT would not have been extended to Sheppard. I think it's good that this plan was killed.

Oh no. I would assume the LRT go street level past Don Mills and then just use the SRT corridor. No transfer at all.
ScarboroughRTmap.jpg

I think if they would have extended the SRT to sheppard. Or they were planning to.

Last edited:
That wouldn't work, ridership would be well over the capacity of the surface portion. you need grade separation for interlining.

Nope. The LRT would have been buried entirely under eglinton. Elevating it wasn't even considered.
That wouldn't work, ridership would be well over the capacity of the surface portion. you need grade separation for interlining.

Then I agree with you guys, because I would only support that if it was above ground. The density is not there in Scarborough for anything else.

Assuming you mean it costs less than the scarborough subway then yes, although running LRTs almost entirely underground is absurdly stupid and unheard of. Also the SRT would not have been extended to Sheppard. I think it's good that this plan was killed.

Tunneling is not the only form of grade separation, and if we're talking about alternatives I don't think it's fair to dismiss elevation.

And grade separation is not the only way to avoid delays at intersections. Between Don Mills and Victoria Park, a median line would be perfectly adequate given the intersection spacing and pre-existing grade separation at Wyndford.

The plan was to extend the SRT to Sheppard and they had every intention of doing so, to have a rail connection between the two LRT lines (Sheppard and Eglinton-Scarborough), which could be useful for equipment moves.

Last edited:
Nope. The LRT would have been buried entirely under eglinton. Elevating it wasn't even considered.

It seems that Metrolinx was planning on studying elevated. http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2010/12/20/elevated_transit_among_metrolinxs_alternatives.html

There was no opposition to elevated when most newspapers released this story. However, it appears that this study was not completed, or at least not released to the public. I asked Metrolinx about this about 4 months ago and got no reply back.

I somehow think that Metrolinx and the Liberals deliberately did not want to save money because the agreement was that savings would be spent on the Sheppard subway. ML and the Liberals would rather wasted an extra couple of Billion on this portion of Eglinton, or delay transit by several years, rather than let Ford gain a victory with the Sheppard subway.

It seems that Metrolinx was planning on studying elevated. http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2010/12/20/elevated_transit_among_metrolinxs_alternatives.html

There was no opposition to elevated when most newspapers released this story. However, it appears that this study was not completed, or at least not released to the public. I asked Metrolinx about this about 4 months ago and got no reply back.

Regardless, this was going to go underground if Ford had his way.

I somehow think that Metrolinx and the Liberals deliberately did not want to save money because the agreement was that savings would be spent on the Sheppard subway. ML and the Liberals would rather wasted an extra couple of Billion on this portion of Eglinton, or delay transit by several years, rather than let Ford gain a victory with the Sheppard subway.

That's just a theory. No one really knows.

Soooooo...who thinks that the Eglinton LRT would have been so much more reliable if we just went back to the drawing board and made it elevated?

Ha ha. j/k.

Great post, insert.

Back