News   Jul 30, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 671     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

they have had more than enough warning.. 6 years is plenty. if they can't get their act together in that time, they will never be able to. plus you can't simply stop construction of transit because some local businesses might go under.

This is my thinking as well. I mean, I don't want to sound rude or mean they started work on the excavation shaft in 2011, that's enough proof for residents and business owners that this is for real and I'm not sure if I can feel any sympathy if people cry foul not knowing it was going to be built!

Mount Dennis Mobility Hub Update and Station Design Review

From thecrosstown.ca website, at this link:

We want to hear from you! Metrolinx invites you to attend a public information meeting to learn more about the Mount Dennis Crosstown station design concept, and the built form and public realm concepts for five focus areas within the Mount Dennis Mobility Hub Study Area, based on previous community input.

The information meeting will be held starting at 6:30pm with an opportunity to view displays and speak one-on-one with staff. We look forward to seeing you there.

Date: Wednesday, April 10, 2013
Time: 6:30 p.m.
2690 Eglinton Avenue West

There does not appear to any documents posted yet, but from what I remember, the station was completely grade-separated, including the tail tracks heading westward. Any elevated portion farther west would be part of phase 2. Based on where phase 1 ends, it appears that they can still change their mind to elevated at that time.

Speaking of elevated, I have seen a lot of talk about elevating Eglinton through Scarborough, but no details. I put a few sketches together that shows where stations would go.

Elevated.jpg

Attachments

• Elevated.jpg
    Elevated.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 505
There does not appear to any documents posted yet, but from what I remember, the station was completely grade-separated, including the tail tracks heading westward. Any elevated portion farther west would be part of phase 2. Based on where phase 1 ends, it appears that they can still change their mind to elevated at that time.

Speaking of elevated, I have seen a lot of talk about elevating Eglinton through Scarborough, but no details. I put a few sketches together that shows where stations would go.

View attachment 11988

Can you provide a larger version?

The Star has an article on Crosstown LRT: Eglinton’s big dig ends 30-year wait for renewal at this link. Includes a video on the assemble of the TBM (where's the IKEA monkey with an Allen key when we need one):

Residents and businesses have been waiting years for rapid transit to give Eglinton Ave. a badly needed lift, ever since the original subway was cancelled in 1995.

By: Tess Kalinowski Transportation reporter, Published on Fri Apr 05 2013

It’s Thursday leading into a long weekend. Folks are lined up out the door of Randy’s, waiting to buy some of the best Jamaican patties in the city.

This stretch of Eglinton Ave., near Oakwood, is where Rasta meets pasta in Toronto.

It’s also where a new transit line is about to blow decades of dust off the city’s long-neglected mid-town avenue. This month, giant tunnel boring machines are expected to begin crawling from Black Creek Dr. on the first part of a journey scheduled to end at Eglinton West Station by fall 2014.

It’s the first phase of making the long-awaited $6.7 billion Eglinton-Scarborough Crosstown LRT a reality. The Crosstown alone will cost $4.9 billion and the conversion of the Scarborough RT to light rail, an additional $1.8 billion.

Sleek new double-ended light rail vehicles (LRVs) that can be linked into three-car trains will run under the road for about 10 kilometres. For now, the plan is to have them surface east of Brentcliffe Rd., although the east end of the tunnel is still under discussion and it could potentially go as far east as Don Mills.

From there, the LRT will run on an exclusive right-of-way on the road to Kennedy Station, where it will travel seamlessly up the SRT route.

Metrolinx projects that 53 million riders will use the Crosstown in 2021. By 2031, as many as 5,000 to 5,400 people per hour will board the LRT in a single direction at its busiest point, according to the projection.

By comparison, the southbound Yonge subway at Bloor station sees 28,000 riders per peak hour; the Bloor-Danforth subway, 23,000. Sheppard attracts about 4,000 to 4,200 riders in a single direction at its busiest point.

Crosstown riders can expect to travel between the Mount Dennis and Kennedy stations in about 40 minutes. Many, of course, will connect with the subway at Eglinton West, Yonge St. and Kennedy, GO trains at Mount Dennis, Kennedy and Caledonia and with 54 intersecting bus routes.

But how the LRT transforms Eglinton Ave. will be as important as the transportation it provides.

By the time the line opens in 2020, the businesses and residents along the avenue will have been waiting 25 years for the urban renewal that was stopped when former Progressive Conservative premier Mike Harris ordered crews to fill in the hole of the first Eglinton subway. It was supposed to run from Eglinton West Station to the airport.

“I don’t care if they flood Eglinton and run gondolas on it, I’ve been waiting 30 years,†says Liberal MPP Mike Colle, who remembers the anger when the subway was stopped.

Businesses had already died where construction crews had torn up the road to begin pile driving and preparing track.

borer_base.jpg

CHRIS SO / TORONTO STAR
Metrolinx engineers stand at the base of the launch shaft 12 meters below the road surface of Eglinton Ave. W. at Black Creek Dr. The tunnelling machine is on the right.

Paul Christie, who was TTC chair in 1995, heard the news of the cancellation on the golf course, while listening to a provincial budget update on his Walkman. “This was pretty dramatic stuff,†he said.

When the subway was cancelled, “they cut the pilings, effectively destroying any chance of picking up the work where it was left,†he said.

Next week, construction crews will begin removing those piles to make way for the LRT.

“Did the failure of a subway to emerge there contribute to any of the industrial decline in York? I suspect that’s probably a factor,†said Christie.

Ultimately, the provincial government opted to build the Sheppard subway.

That decision effectively froze Eglinton in time, says Colle, who also served as TTC chair from 1992 to 1994.

By daylight, the dinner crowd at Randy’s is a scarce sign of prosperity on the west end of Eglinton. But don’t be fooled, says Colle. In the early hours of the morning, “this part of Eglinton is a destination.â€

You can smell the chicken grilling and the avenue takes on a lively night market atmosphere, he said.

“There’s a disconnect between gentrified residential streets and the main street,†says Colle’s son, Josh, the city councillor for Eglinton-Lawrence Ward 15, and a member of the TTC board.

Many Eglinton property owners haven’t had a reason to invest in the area. “There’s been very little for a generation,†the younger Colle said. “It seems like we now have incentive.â€

Josh Colle says he’s already been approached about development over LRT stations.

Across from the patty store on the north side of Eglinton, the Oakwood LRT station will replace the fading facades of Josie’s apparel shop and Gus’s Tropical Foods. A pizza shop that occupies the old bank building on the south side will be wrapped in a new condo development.

That doesn’t mean the west end of Eglinton will boom the way the north end of Yonge St. did with the subway to North York, says transit consultant and historian Ed Levy .

Unlike the eastern portion of Eglinton, which had bigger parcels of land, the west end has shallower properties, many of them independently owned, he said.

“It’s a devil’s job to assemble these storefronts. It’s coming but it’s going to be a slow process, even with the coming of the LRT underground,†said Levy.

Businesses and residents aren’t the only ones invested in the Crosstown. It’s the largest capital transit project yet to be managed by the Toronto region transportation agency Metrolinx and Infrastructure Ontario, the provincial department in charge of public-private partnerships that will build the LRT stations and other elements.

inside_the_borer.jpg

CHRIS SO / TORONTO STAR
Jack Collins, Executive Vice President, Rapid Transit Implementation at Metrolinx stands inside one of the front sections of the tunneller assembled at Eglinton Ave. and Black Creek Dr. The tunneller is 6.2 metres in diameter.

Officials insist the over-arching deadline to open the line in 2020 hasn’t been affected by early glitches. The tunnel-boring machines were originally supposed to launch last summer but utility relocations on Eglinton delayed the start.

If the project fails to come in on time and on budget there will be no shortage of finger pointing at city hall and Queen’s Park.

Success, however, breeds its own challenges, warns Mike Colle. He is anxious that the character and colour of neighbourhoods like Oakwood survive as the storefronts climb from one and two-storeys to four or six.

“You have got to respect what’s here and not reshape this into some Starbucks planner downtown. I don’t want this to be cookie-cutter,†he says.

Josh Colle agrees. âœI’d like to see a stretch where people are sitting on a patio, walking, shopping, where I can take my kids, my wife for dinner.â€

ciegeglinton.jpg

Attachments

• borer_base.jpg
    borer_base.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 350
  • inside_the_borer.jpg
    inside_the_borer.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 340
  • ciegeglinton.jpg
    ciegeglinton.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 325
Can you provide a larger version?

I imagine the support structure for the elevated line would be about 5.5m above the ground. The minimum clearance for traffic is 4.5 to 5m, and I would add a bit just to make sure it doesn't get hit by any overheight loads - plus it would look better a bit higher up. Typical stations would have a pedestrian bridge (walkway) above Eglinton that ties in to the mezzanine level of the station. I am not sure if a 3D steel space truss, or a voided post-tensioned concrete deck bridge would be used. Here is the general view approaching the station. I am thinking that the line would be on the south side of the road since it is easier to build the Don Mills Station on the SW corner, the elevation required to go over DVP is a bit less on the South, and Kennedy Station would be on the South side.

Page_8.jpg

The Station at Wynford would stradling Wynford Drive.
Page_1.jpg

The Station at Bermonsey would be on the SE corner
Page_2.jpg

The Station at Vic Park would be on the SE corner, along with a few bus platforms. Being on the East side, it would be a bit closer to Pharmacy.
Page_3.jpg

The Station at Warden would be on the SW corner
Page_4.jpg

The Station at Birchmount would be on the SW corner
Page_5.jpg

I do not know if it is needed, but I have tentatively put a station at Ionview. It is about 1300m from Birchmount to Kennedy Stations, so one might be of use in this pretty populated area - although the better station location does not bisect this distance too well. The residents may also not appreciate having an elelvated line going past their front door without a stop.
Page_6.jpg

Finally, the elevated line would go over Kennedy and then drop rather steeply to an underground station adjacent to the current elevated station. This through line also means that a second underground station and underground loop is not required for the SRT. The new station can be built with
the old one still in use, although some bus bays would be out of commission.
Page_7.jpg

Attachments

• Page_8.jpg
    Page_8.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 324
  • Page_1.jpg
    Page_1.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 377
  • Page_2.jpg
    Page_2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 335
  • Page_3.jpg
    Page_3.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 324
  • Page_4.jpg
    Page_4.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 328
  • Page_5.jpg
    Page_5.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 320
  • Page_6.jpg
    Page_6.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 299
  • Page_7.jpg
    Page_7.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 332
Why would you put them on private property requiring huge amounts of $ in land acquisition, rather than in the centre of the street?

With that added expense, it might be cheaper to go underground!

You are widening the street anyways..

Land acquisition isn't that expensive actually. Likely 20-30 million to purchase the entire stretch

Why would you put them on private property requiring huge amounts of $ in land acquisition, rather than in the centre of the street?

With that added expense, it might be cheaper to go underground!

I imagine that property owners would want the station on their corner since it would increase their property value.

You are widening the street anyways..

Land acquisition isn't that expensive actually. Likely 20-30 million to purchase the entire stretch

Couldn't have said it better myself.

So the stations are off the road, does that mean the tracks are also throughout it's entire route?

Yes, the entire track would be about 5.5m above the ground - probably a minimum of 4.8 to 5.0m is needed just to clear driveways with enough of a safety factor. Wynford station would probably be a bit higher since the line is still coming down after passing over the DVP.

I was referring to the entire line which includes Warden and Birchmount. So the entire line must be off the road and free of traffic lights.

I hope Mike Harris sees the construction and remembers how he and his buddy Hoodak screwed Toronto over back in 95'. What they did in 1995 was nothing more than shameful political pandering. Never will I forget what they did.

Tim Hudak and the late Doug Ford Sr. (father of Rob and Doug Jr.) were also part of the (un-)Progressive Conservative government that cancelled the original construction for the Eglinton Subway. The Eglinton Subway would have run only from Eglinton West station to Black Creek. The Crosstown LRT continues east to the Yonge-Eglinton station and even further east to Kennedy station (and beyond should it continue on the SRT right-of-way).

Last edited:

Back