News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 398     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I've been finding it hard to find confirmed information on this line. Does anybody know what stations on the line are definitely confirmed and whether they'll be below ground or not?

I thought the plan was re-opened because Metrolinx wanted to eliminate a potential pinch point and have complete grade-separation between Mt. Dennis and Don Mills?
No. Where did you hear that?

I've been finding it hard to find confirmed information on this line. Does anybody know what stations on the line are definitely confirmed and whether they'll be below ground or not?
That's because it's a bit of a moving target.

http://www.thecrosstown.ca/ is the best source of information, but it's not all up to date. The current plan is that the western terminus will be Mt. Dennis (elevated), and then the next station will be Keele (underground), and it will remain underground through Caledonia, Dufferin, Oakwood, Eglinton West (Allen), Bathurst, Chaplin, Avenue, Eglinton (Yonge), Mount Pleasant, Bayview, Laird and Don Mills, and then go on the surface for stops at Ferrand, Wynford, Bermondsey, Victoria Park, Pharmacy, Lebovic, Warden, Birchmount, Ionview, and then head underground (west of Kennedy Road) to a final stop at Kennedy station.

There's still chatter about them trying to cancel Oakwood and Chaplin ... and they haven't really discussed anything east of Ferrand much laterly, so I wouldn't be surprised if Lebovic and Ionview were at risk.

There's design information online for some of the western stations at http://www.thecrosstown.ca/the-project/station-design - and Oakwood is conspicuously missing ...

Thanks for the info folks. The map on the official website indeed seems out of date. So is a Jane Station no longer happening? also I'm sure that this has been discussed before, but are there no concerns regarding the above ground stations east of Don Mills being really close to one another? Why the hell does Ferrand or Lebovic need a station?

I don't think I'm understanding. Why not do what? Have it elevated or make it interlined? And how would that force gov't to get their ass moving on the airport extension?

The ECLRT in the East end is eventually going to be elevated one way or another. Might as well do it now. But like you said, not at the cost of other lines. Hopefully those "back room discussions" at Metrolinx that Gweed mentioned will result in Metrolinx sneaking in an elevated portion.

Make it interlined.

because local residents make a stink otherwise. and yes, Jane has been relegated to phase 2. Jane and Leslie have been cut from the original EA, and Weston / Black creek have been combined to create one station. so 3 less stops than originally planned.

because local residents make a stink otherwise. and yes, Jane has been relegated to phase 2. Jane and Leslie have been cut from the original EA, and Weston / Black creek have been combined to create one station. so 3 less stops than originally planned.

3 stops less = great news. The ECLRT had way too many stops to begin with. Lets hope they can cut some of the less used stops now that Metrolinx has full control over the design of the line.

Make it interlined.

How would that force the Government to build the airport extension??

Quick question. I understand that Metrolinx more or less has full control over the design of the ECLRT, which is why they're able to remove some of the less useful stations. But does the contract Metrolinx signed with Toronto allow them to make the ECLRT elevated without approval from the City?

So is a Jane Station no longer happening?
It's moved to Phase 2, along with 16 other stops out to Pearson. See the phasing from 2010 on TTC's Transit City pages at http://www3.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Projects_and_initiatives/Transit_city/Current_Projects/index.jsp and in particular in http://www3.ttc.ca/PDF/About_the_TTC/Transit_City/Eglinton_LRT_route_diagram1.pdf

I'm sure that this has been discussed before, but are there no concerns regarding the above ground stations east of Don Mills being really close to one another? Why the hell does Ferrand or Lebovic need a station?
There are some concerns. Ferrand has certainly been discussed a lot lately though - not more to be said there ... and there's clearly some densification opportunities - it's still about 500 metres from Don Mills Road. I'm not sure Ionview is so bad ... it might be close to Kennedy Road, but it's a long way to Kennedy station! Ionview is about half-way between Birchmount and Kennedy - about 550 metres from each. We have subway lines with closer spacing than that - and this is LRT. Lebovic seems the worst to me - it's only about 300 metres from Warden.

3 stops less = great news.
I'm not sure how removing Jane is good news ...

They would make a stink if it were interlined?? They would make a stink if it were elevated??

All I recall is an article that Metrolinx and TTC were considering elevated along Eglinton. (http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2010/12/20/elevated_transit_among_metrolinxs_alternatives.html )

The article stated that "spokesman Brad Ross confirmed the TTC is studying elevated rail “to better understand the implications of such a system, including costs.†I do not recall any public disclosure of what the cost would be or whether any member of the public was consulted. It just had Mr. Soberman's opinion that community opposition could make elevated LRT a non-starter in Toronto. Maybe compared to underground the public would not like elevated, but compared to in-median they may love it.

I'm sorry but how was my comment related to the elevating of eglinton? I was simply observing that local residents make abig stink over cancelled stations, as well as responding to ramakos question on why Leslie or ferrand would need a stop.

That article is over 2 years old as well.

But wasn't that a case of the launch site being changed in response to the burying of the Leslie section? It was my understanding that the launch site was dictated by the desired tunnel stretch, not the tunnel stretch being dictated by the launch site.

If the south side option is chosen, theoretically they can revert back to the original launch site, no?

I think the answer is a definite maybe.

In the presentation, Metrolinx identifies 4 (or 5) reasons why that location is not good.

One is the duration of traffic impacts and another is slope stability on the north side of Eglinton. If the South side alignment was chosen instead of the median option, neither of these would be issues since the traffic does not have to be diverted northwards.

The next was contaminated soil. This is a standard construction operation, yet they did not put a cost to it.
Another issue was shoring adjacent to new construction that has been built since the line was first proposed. Aside from the obvious question of why this was allowed to proceed and interfere with the largest transit project in Toronto's history, is the question of why a cost was not applied to this shoring activity - which again is a very standard construction operation. The final issue is noise to these recently purchased Condos, even though they bought knowing that construction is in the area, even though their distance to the TBM launch/extraction sites is not much different than elsewhere on Eglinton. It appears someone just assumed these people were averse to the noise, even though the reality is that many of these residents are probably the ones complaining about the elimination of the Leslie stop/station. They would likely tolerate the noise to receive the benefits of higher property values.

Metrolinx did not provide a cost estimate for the "Brentcliffe" TBM launch site, which involved very typical construction work adjacent to the actual launch pit, but they did provide a cost estimate for a Leslie Station (at $80M), even though this involves a very unique activity - building a Station under river level.

I'm sorry but how was my comment related to the elevating of eglinton? I was simply observing that local residents make abig stink over cancelled stations, as well as responding to ramakos question on why Leslie or ferrand would need a stop.

That article is over 2 years old as well.

Your quote was immediately after the following quote.

Make it interlined.

then you said

because local residents make a stink otherwise.

So I assumed that you thought that locals would complain about interlining - either having it or not having it and elevation is closely related to an interlined SRT/ECLRT.

Back