News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     4 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 857     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1K     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Glad to hear that they're looking at continuing the grade separation through that area. I would think that the Georgetown corridor station (whatever it ends up being named), would be a good short-turn location for the line, much like Don Mills station will be, especially when the DRL ends there.

If you want to short-turn at Georgetown GO (or even Jane when that LRT gets built), it should be at-grade median at or East of Keele. It may be a bit late for that, but at least they could still have a short at-grade median section East of the Rail line.

Of course if you want to short-turn at Don Mills the at-grade median section would start at Brentcliffe or some other location West of Don Mills.

:D

If you want to short-turn at Georgetown GO (or even Jane when that LRT gets built), it should be at-grade median at or East of Keele. It may be a bit late for that, but at least they could still have a short at-grade median section East of the Rail line.

Of course if you want to short-turn at Don Mills the at-grade median section would start at Brentcliffe or some other location West of Don Mills.

:D

In-median seriously restricts the type of station that you can build though. Transfer stations will need to have a much higher capacity than a simple in-median station. This is one of the reasons why Don Mills station is going to be underground (even without the DRL, it's still going to be a major transfer station).

I'd much rather see the Black Creek-Eglinton station underground, that way it can be placed wherever and designed however it needs to be in order to ensure a smooth transfer between the services there. I can see an in-median station just being a dogs breakfast at rush hour if GO REX is ever implemented.

I'm exceedingly disappointed that they are dropping through-routing of Eglinton and the SRT.

As Steve Munroe said:
Recently Metrolinx confirmed that the scheme to through-route Scarborough and Eglinton trains had been dropped from their plans due to an inbalance in projected demand for the two lines and concerns about service reliability. Aside from what this may say about the TTC’s hopes for operating surface LRT in street medians, this also triggers a change in the operation of the revised Kennedy Station.

A new design will be presented for public comment in fall 2012.
And lower in the comments:
Steve: The other issue is train length. If the “SRT” has to run with three-car trains for capacity, and Eglinton runs with two-car trains, I can just hear the TTC wailing that it will be confusing for passengers. People would queue on the platform expecting a three-car train, but only a two-car train would show up.

However, the TTC seems dead set against through running and has taken this attitude for quite some time (back into the Miller / Transit City era).
As for whether it will ever be an option in the future?
Until we see the revised design for Kennedy, we won’t know whether they have retained an easy method to through route Eglinton with the SRT or with a future Scarborough-Malvern line (the Eglinton route east from Kennedy to Morningside).
A big giant question.

Frankly, through routing of both the SRT and the Scarborough-Malvern line with the Eglinton line seems to be incredibly logical, and a relatively simple 3 track station layout would work. However, I'm sure that this would be unacceptable, and they will build a facility that locks in the existing operation.

If they are going to start dropping important stations like oakwood and chaplain then they better start chopping a bunch of these useless surface stations as well. Btw blackcreek does not need a station - WESTON does!!

I'm exceedingly disappointed that they are dropping through-routing of Eglinton and the SRT.

As Steve Munroe said:

And lower in the comments:

As for whether it will ever be an option in the future?

A big giant question.

Frankly, through routing of both the SRT and the Scarborough-Malvern line with the Eglinton line seems to be incredibly logical, and a relatively simple 3 track station layout would work. However, I'm sure that this would be unacceptable, and they will build a facility that locks in the existing operation.

This is the major advantage of the Rob Ford proposal (where the SRT and Eglinton would have been interlined and Eglinton fully grade separated, resulting in a huge increase in ridership on Eglinton).

I think it would be a very good idea to push double tracking/high frequency service on Stouffville GO. This would cause ridership on the SRT to go down by a sufficient amount that interlining with a non grade separated Eglinton line would be practical. A lot of the traffic on the SRT would switch to using Stouffville GO to get to northeastern Scarborough, and it would provide a very useful north south connection to Markham.

This is the major advantage of the Rob Ford proposal (where the SRT and Eglinton would have been interlined and Eglinton fully grade separated, resulting in a huge increase in ridership on Eglinton).
Diverting traffic currently using the B-D to instead use Eglinton, and a very busy section of the Yonge line is an advantage?

The Eglinton line isn't intended as a BD-relief line. It would only function as such, because it would have wider stop spacings than Danforth.

If we need to relieve the BD line from Kennedy to Yonge, then use the Stouffville GO service, which runs non-stop from Kennedy to Union in 19 minutes - hopefully faster once it's electrified.

Last edited:
If they are going to start dropping important stations like oakwood and chaplain then they better start chopping a bunch of these useless surface stations as well. Btw blackcreek does not need a station - WESTON does!!

Chaplin Station already had its Open House on its Preliminary Design. Click on this link to download the PDF.

WEll if they are dropping those 2 stations it should be less expensive to build the LRT on Eglinton then. So where is this extra money going to go? Plus do the residents of those 2 areas know this?

I'm a resident and on my list of to do tomorrow is to call josh and mike collection and get some answers on this and the Lawrence heights revitalization plan.

Diverting traffic currently using the B-D to instead use Eglinton, and a very busy section of the Yonge line is an advantage?

The advantage was providing a rapid transit line uptown from Jane to STC in 35min. That's truly fast and potentially to the Airport like Chicago does.

What about future growth on the corridor? Attracting more residents and businesses increasing the density along the corridor. It makes senses to me to build an infrastructure that will accommodate future ridership.

What do we have now? A line split in 2 which drops drastically the ridership. Metrolinx numbers did show that Eglinton-STC crosstown would attract enough ridership to justify "a fully grade separated rapid transit line"

So what it takes people off the Bloor-Danforth line? What's that obsession of thinking that a successful subway line has to be either "overcapacity" or "needing extra personnel to put people in trains like at Bloor-Yonge"???

The extra pressure on the Yonge line would just force the hand of our politicians to push the DRL to Eglinton. Just look at the study by Metrolinx to relieve Union Station. They are willing to build from Pape to Exhibition because Union will be at overcapacity. That's what it takes to have something build in this country.

When you invest that many billions into transit, think about the next generation, not only the first 10 years of operation. Toronto will grow and won't stop growing.

The Eglinton line isn't intended as a BD-relief line. It would only function as such, because it would have wider stop spacings than Danforth.

Where in any Metrolinx publications do you see that Eglinton "fully underground" was ever meant to be a Bloor Danforth line relief?

The number one objective of that line was to add another rapid transit line going from East to West allowing people to go from one part to the other at high speed.Diverting ridership from the B-D line is a side effect.

I just came back from my first trip to Chicago and our 2 rapid transit lines is just shameful and a reminder of how much politicians failed us over the decades on the transit agenda.

We need more rapid transit line. Period

If we need to relieve the BD line from Kennedy to Yonge, then use the Stouffville GO service, which runs non-stop from Kennedy to Union in 19 minutes - hopefully faster once it's electrified.

It's been said here on so many occasions...So I'll repeat. TTC riders WILL NOT pay the extra fare to take the GO within their own city.

Presto won't change that since in Montreal they have the OPUS card and Montrealers use the STM, not the AMT trains for trips within the city.

They wont use the GO no matter how much you want it...

Last edited:

Back