News   May 17, 2024
 2.7K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.8K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Would LOVE to know what the outstanding issues still are. Even more than an opening date, would love to just know what's still wrong.

Bunch of little things? Or a big thing? Or both?

They know. They're not telling us. It's weird. Why does it need to be kept a secret?

I've heard rumours the foundation slab underneath the Yonge/Eglinton station box is cracked and they don't know how to fix it.
Not sure but I think they talked about that foundation issue at the last meeting and it was resolved, for a while actually. A bit to my surprise because Metrolinx held on to it for a while. I think they are adopting a very strict handover position where the history of performance has reduced the relationship between CTS and Metrolinx to the point that almost every detail will have to completed before Metrolinx/TTC will even look at taking over the entire site. It's mostly commissioning and training now. In my experience in other construction work, once substantial completion is met and payments are made you may let some minor snags go but, contractors are very quick to move their resources to other projects, leaving minimal crews to "finish up". I think we are close, they'll want to open this in nicer dry even temperature weather, i.e. late spring at the earliest.

We have one tiny hint of one issue for the Crosstown.......

From the Major Projects update on next week's TTC Agenda; in the Fire Ventilation subsection:

From the above:

1701387733892.png

Update: https://x.com/Metrolinx/status/1730249064032182374?t=f5oMI5y0Aap-A0_rVQOF6w&s=08

Text of tweet:

Today, at the public session of the Metrolinx Board of Directors meeting (watch live: https://www.metrolinx.com/en/about-us/the-board/board-meetings/meeting-2023-11-30), Phil Verster, CEO shared details around the status and progress of the @CrosstownTO project:

“We will announce an opening date for the Eglinton Crosstown three months before opening day. We are not there yet. We are making sure everything is built right and operates correctly and safely. Our contractor, CTS, is finding issues that must be fixed before we can open the Eglinton Crosstown for safe and reliable passenger services.

We will host journalists in early December at the Eglinton and Yonge station, the largest and most complex station on the ECLRT, and where the final pieces of construction are now nearing completion. It will be a walk-through with first-hand visibility and Q&A about the five work streams that will fix the uncertainties and get us to opening day.”

When is the promised public update every 2 months that Phil Vester promised? Did he just cancel it (serious question)??

Secondly, 3 month notice is ridiculous, imagine all the pressure that will be coming every press announcement if no opening date is announced. This is just mindboggling.

It is December 1st, 31 days until 2024. No way we even have an ETA to begin the new year. I really wish there was good news. I am not sure how it is possible for Metrolinx to not even live up to their embarrassing "every 2 months" update policy created at the end of September. Now, with the 3-month notice concept, are we just not receiving the "every 2 months" update? Is there any truth to what Phil Verster says at this point?

It is December 1st, 31 days until 2024. No way we even have an ETA to begin the new year. I really wish there was good news. I am not sure how it is possible for Metrolinx to not even live up to their embarrassing "every 2 months" update policy created at the end of September. Now, with the 3-month notice concept, are we just not receiving the "every 2 months" update? Is there any truth to what Phil Verster says at this point?
I don’t think the 2-month and 3-month windows are incompatible? Let’s assume the next update is in Feb, Verster could then claim that the Crosstown would be ready in May.

Update: https://x.com/Metrolinx/status/1730249064032182374?t=f5oMI5y0Aap-A0_rVQOF6w&s=08

Text of tweet:

Today, at the public session of the Metrolinx Board of Directors meeting (watch live: https://www.metrolinx.com/en/about-us/the-board/board-meetings/meeting-2023-11-30), Phil Verster, CEO shared details around the status and progress of the @CrosstownTO project:

“We will announce an opening date for the Eglinton Crosstown three months before opening day. We are not there yet. We are making sure everything is built right and operates correctly and safely. Our contractor, CTS, is finding issues that must be fixed before we can open the Eglinton Crosstown for safe and reliable passenger services.

We will host journalists in early December at the Eglinton and Yonge station, the largest and most complex station on the ECLRT, and where the final pieces of construction are now nearing completion. It will be a walk-through with first-hand visibility and Q&A about the five work streams that will fix the uncertainties and get us to opening day.”
Given their track record early December means December 15th at the earliest.

Great catch Northern Light, I'm trying figure out what "portal doors" are. Possibly the underground entries to the Eglinton station from say the Yonge Eglinton Centre.
I've worked with Toronto Hydro in the past, they are quick once they get out there. This report is post dated at 7th December (date of meeting as you mentioned) but information seems to be from up to Sept 30th. Maybe this was the major milestone that Metrolinx mentioned at the end of September?

Back