News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 617     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 298     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

This taxpayer is eager to see someone enforce a very high standard of construction and get the last few deficiencies corrected now while crews are still mobilised and the people who know what was buried where are still on site.

Anybody who has ever done a home reno know that once the final money is paid, the contractor loses interest in coming back and fixing the few little things that didn’t go perfectly.

If TTC has stepped up to the dick role - good on them.

- Paul
id bet that almost all of the minor deficiencies cannot be seen nor felt by the avg rider in any direct/indirect way unless you go searching for it. if the ttc is penny pinching on things like slightly misaligned tiles or grilles
i would put the blame on them. the line is already years late yet theyre still nitpicking on such immaterial things like that. its one thing if its just a minor delay but the fact that they cant really afford to waste more time is what is most galling.

theyve been testing the trains since last year so surely the line is "safe" for them to start doing some familiarisation at the very least. that whole safety issue that they tweeted is honestly bullshit for their laziness and unwillingness to cooperate.

If you think this isn't going to happen with the Ontario Line...

The next premier should tell MX that the Ontario Line is the last RT project, and their mandate will be bringing all-day service to Milton, Kitchener, Stouffville and Barrie
to put some perspective, apparently theres a very high turnover at ML. consultants who are sitting on one side of the table during 1 meeting are switching sides the very next.
positions are being rotated as quickly as hockey game line changes. that in itself can explain why things are not getting done quickly or at all.. too many poaching and people not willing to finish the work in pursuit of other goals.

id bet that almost all of the minor deficiencies cannot be seen nor felt by the avg rider in any direct/indirect way unless you go searching for it. if the ttc is penny pinching on things like slightly misaligned tiles or grilles
i would put the blame on them. the line is already years late yet theyre still nitpicking on such immaterial things like that. its one thing if its just a minor delay but the fact that they cant really afford to waste more time is what is most galling.

theyve been testing the trains since last year so surely the line is "safe" for them to start doing some familiarisation at the very least. that whole safety issue that they tweeted is honestly bullshit for their laziness and unwillingness to cooperate.
This is such a sad attitude.

“We’ve had our concerns about the 2023 date, which is exactly why we’ve been pushing so hard for for credible schedule,” he says. “In our estime it’s a date in 2024, but when exactly that date is will depend on how much must still be fixed.”

I still think this is metrolinx saying now way you guys are close to finished complete your work, the same thing they said in November with that "credible plan" statement

Further quotes and a little more context in this video interview with Phil. He mentioned he was promised three weeks ago a schedule by Thursday and a bit more more commerical litigation. Worth a watch just to get more nuance.

This is such a sad attitude.
but its the right mentality. we are not building a museum. function goes before form especially when we are delayed like this.
the fact that we are striving to build an art gallery when the end users are school children is largely to blame for why its taking so long.

then again why cant they do concurrent activities? why cant ttc start doing their stuff at the same time? its all bureaucratic bullshit

then again why cant they do concurrent activities? why cant ttc start doing their stuff at the same time? its all bureaucratic bullshit

That's your take, but where's your data?

The two deficiencies that came to light recently were the bad paving at Sloan station, and the track alignment problem. Neither of these is minor or a bureaucratic matter.

If the TTC has noted other similar deficiencies, these are material and are much easier to correct before commissioning than in an operating state. TTC aren't perfect, but I trust their credentials when it comes to getting things ready for an opening day.

- Paul

This Global News article (Updated May 16, 2023 3:24 pm) has information from CTS' statement. I don't see a link to the full statement.

CTS said it had launched its legal challenge after “months of engagement” with Metrolinx about “challenges” the consortium said it faced. The consortium said it needed Metrolinx to finalize a contract for the Toronto Transit Commission to run the line once it was finished. In a statement, the group complained that “the TTC is able to make requests and provide input at any time, including at a late stage, that go beyond CTS’s contractual responsibilities,” despite not yet having a formal role in the project. In its statement, CTS said it had not “suspended or stopped any work” on the Eglinton LRT.

Update: fully statement from CTS.

FwRYL9_WYBcuYTM

It's far too late to do anything of the sort - Crosslinx has the contract for operations and maintenance for the next 30 years. If the contract was halfway competently written, the penalties for cancellation will be astronomical.

No, we should have never entertained the idea of letting the private sector build public infrastructure to begin with. But it's too late to cry about spilled milk now. We have to live with the consequences of our decisions.

Again, i thought there was a signed operating agreement? was there? or is this saying they are just simply frustrated with TTC's requests
“the TTC is able to make requests and provide input at any time, including at a late stage, that go beyond CTS’s contractual responsibilities,” despite not yet having a formal role in the project
last time this was discussed by the city:
That doesnt seem like a hard written operating agreement to me, unless theyre talking about the preliminary one back in 2012

Only new insights in this Global article published at 6am today are from an unnamed source and even then I don't think it's anything new people hear wouldn't have understood.

The issues, the person with knowledge of Metrolinx operations said, run deep.

The official said that Metrolinx was currently not able to run a train the length of the Eglinton Crosstown route at normal speed due to technical issues with the track.

Only new insights in this Global article published at 6am today are from an unnamed source and even then I don't think it's anything new people hear wouldn't have understood.
Is this about that track discrepancy thing from a few weeks ago? its a dispute obviously, but I wonder whos right here.

That's your take, but where's your data?

The two deficiencies that came to light recently were the bad paving at Sloan station, and the track alignment problem. Neither of these is minor or a bureaucratic matter.

If the TTC has noted other similar deficiencies, these are material and are much easier to correct before commissioning than in an operating state. TTC aren't perfect, but I trust their credentials when it comes to getting things ready for an opening day.

- Paul
im going by their public statement... "we are ready to commence operator training as soon as its safe to...." how safe do they need it to be? laboratory safe? union safe? looks like they havnt even started anything unless other statements or sources say otherwise.

Back