News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 438     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Currently, Toronto's Transportation Department prioritizes the single-occupant motorist turning left. We'll see if they finally give in to the public transit user, or remain devoted to the almighty automobile gods.
That's compared to a grade-separated line. Of course, I would have built this section as an elevated line (and used light metro technology) - but the past is in the past. I think we can agree that grade-separation > TSP not-grade-separated > no-TSP no-grade separation.

Hey all, got the chance to ride part of the surface section today, I'll have a video out tomorrow - here are some pics in the meantime. Probably not a lot we haven't seen, but ey . . . more the merrier?

Not to nag or anything, but I would've thought Crosslinx wouldn't (or pretend not to) want members of the general public to be in the under-construction stations, let alone inside the vehicles during construction and testing, unless anyone can claim to be reporting at the right time?

I'm just curious is all.

Not to nag or anything, but I would've thought Crosslinx wouldn't (or pretend not to) want members of the general public to be in the under-construction stations, let alone inside the vehicles during construction and testing, unless anyone can claim to be reporting at the right time?

I'm just curious is all.
It was an “official” media event. ML will have the contractual right to hold those when convenient to the contractor

Other media people were invited, I’m told.

- Paul

For WHOM? The transit user or the single-occupant motorist?
For the transit user of course.
Railways have had a signal priority from the beginning and it seems to work very well. Trains around the world roll through level crossings including crossings through the middle of intersections without needing to stop. Any inability to make transit signal priority work to the advantage of transit would have less to do with technical capabilities and more to do with the priority of the people setting things up.
If you're talking about crossing gates then yes of course, but this isn't what Ottawa would've gotten - which is the context of this discussion. We're talking about grade separation vs on street tram style which even with the mightiest TSP you're still adding significant joints of slowdown and unreliability.

If you're talking about crossing gates then yes of course, but this isn't what Ottawa would've gotten - which is the context of this discussion. We're talking about grade separation vs on street tram style which even with the mightiest TSP you're still adding significant joints of slowdown and unreliability.
Again that is entirely based on how it is implemented. The long stretches of few crossings and intersections and grass is much like the Barcelona Tram. Where is the significant slow down on the Barcelona Tram other than the stops? In the case of the intersection where you can't give the proper signal priority you dive under that intersection. It can work if the priority is on making it work.

Last edited:
Part 5 of 7 taken at Cedarvale station on August 18, 2021

South Side

IMG_1282.jpg
IMG_1283.jpg
IMG_1284.jpg
IMG_1285.jpg
IMG_1286.jpg
IMG_1287.jpg
IMG_1288.jpg
IMG_1289.jpg
IMG_1290.jpg

Up next:

Part 6: East Side 1 of 2

Interesting..at 40 second mark, Anne Marie says " we're about a year and a half away from full service". Hmmm....that could bring us into 2023...*cough*

Had a great time riding on the surface section of the line yesterday! Enjoy this video.

Notice the transit signals have English verbage signage to add to the clutter. Excellent for the non-English speaking residents and visitors.

Since they look the same as the regular traffic signals, expect to see motorists move with those transit signals because they can't read English.

They're still insisting the line will open in 2022?

I ain't in the market for snake oil.
My take is that no one really knows when the line will be done, but saying “We don’t know” will get them raked over the coals in public. So, it’s better for everyone involved to claim a date now and take the heat when it inevitably slips later. Taking the heat later is fine because in a year we’ll probably have line of sight to a realistic completion date.

The only other option would be to really overstate the date and come in early, but that has political risks too.

In many ways, in terms of timeline and cost, it may be best for us as the public to accept the fact that we can’t predict big projects with absolute certainty, so the best we can do is design as much up front, share risk between the public and the contractor, try to release in stages, and accept some amount of cost overruns and timeline creep.

IMO.

Back