News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 901     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 355     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Ill never understand why any money saved from Eglinton is suppose to go to Sheppard versus finishing the western part of the line to the airport.

Probably! And im all for it...

Rememeber, the mcGuinty government leans centre-right at the end of the day...its just far more strategic about what it does unlike the previous Harris government which had a no surprise WAM-BAM! Slash-and-burn Approach. This govt opens its ears and is more careful about its moves...

But in the big picture, at the end of the day, this government is far more similar to the harris one...than the rae, peterson, or davis governments of the past.

Anyway metrolinx operation of rapid transit in toronto would go a very long way for transportation in the gta!

THats the point, its viewpoint would not be Toronto's viewpoint. Just like provincial governments always screw Toronto over and federal governments screw Ontario over.

Ill never understand why any money saved from Eglinton is suppose to go to Sheppard versus finishing the western part of the line to the airport.

Because that's what Ford negotiated.

I agree with finishing the Sheppard subway. However, I think Eglinton should definitely go to the airport as well and am sad that got cut (while Miller was still in office mind you).

P3s do not reduce cost, they defer its appearance for political purposes.
They can reduce cost in ways one might not think.

For example, in the Canada Line, they reduced cost, by meeting the design specs, and only building the platforms 50 metres long (with 40 metre long trains), seriously compromising future expansion (by contrast, the Eglinton line trains will be over 90 metres long). They also reduced cost by doing the construction in a way that it seriously messed up Cambie for a couple of years - rather than doing it in less intrusive, but more expensive ways, like planned on Eglinton.

And of course there was all the foreign labour that was brought in from Asia and paid relatively low wages. Something a government agency would never do.

Of course these private firms will do whatever they can within the law and minimal safety concerns.

Anyway metrolinx operation of rapid transit in toronto would go a very long way for transportation in the gta!

Possibly, but it would also run the possibility of losing sight of the TTC's primary mission: to provide local transit. Just because our government today is run by transit friendly-ish folks doesn't mean it'll always be so. It is entirely possible that someday a provincial government could be formed with little to no representation from the City of Toronto, and that some rural or exurban MPP takes over the transportation portfolio. We already know that some of our very own city councillors don't care so much for late night buses or minimum service standards - would you trust people with absolutely no vested interests in the functioning of this city with decisions like that?

I'm all for regional integration, but there's a point where you're thinking too big picture to notice the little things. And if you have no accountability to the people affected by your decisions (whether you're an appointee on the Metrolinx board or the MPP for Middle-of-Rural-Southwest), you really don't have to care all that much.

Then again, if the province ever does take control of the TTC, I can see it being the first downloaded item after a PC victory (or an NDP victory, but for completely different reasons).

I wouldn't mind Metrolinx taking control of the TTC if it:
a) was governed by a board voted in by a rep-by-pop GTA-wide election
b) was completely autonomous from the province (including in its ability to raise revenue), and
c) that it also took control of the other GTA transit systems

Back