News   Jul 05, 2024
 878     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.1K     12 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 517     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I hate to say it too. But it really did 'prove him right all along.'

I wish the other councilors pushed for an elevated guideway for the eastern section. We could have had a Skytrain/REM-like system even using the Flexities.
They were suggesting that a long time ago to cheapen the cost. But they came up with how the elevated guide way would not look "aesthetically pleasing"

That's a LITTLE pessimistic IMO, I'd probably say late 2022- early 2023, but you never know. Though it would be embarrassing if the Crosstown falls behind Finch West...

Some parts of the Crosstown could open earlier if they go for a phased opening though.
I don't think it would be embarrassing for the Eglinton to open later than the Finch LRT, considering the scale of the Eglinton project vs Finch. However it's been since 2009 till now so i get ur point.

Lol was being sarcastic! Earliest would be early 2024

I don't think they ever intended to finish construction prior to opening. Eglinton-Yonge will have ongoing construction for a couple years after it opens.

I could even see the line opening in 2022 but skipping the Yonge stop.

Last edited:
And some people think that Ontario line will be fully operational in 2030. Then again some people vote for Ford's and Trumps so you can't win everyone over to the light side.

It's embarrassing enough REM is ahead of us for a 2021 opening date we don't need the Crosstown falling behind Finch too, I know that only the south section of REM is opening next year but still that pace of construction is incredible.

That's what I find so frustrating about all of this. Yes, I know that the kinds of challenges for the REM (geography, alignment, especially with the REM passing through much less challenging and easier to build in areas, etc.) are different from the Crosstown, but a project of arguably larger scope than the Crosstown, being built in the same country, is on track to be fully complete in much less time than the Crosstown (Crosstown started digging the TBM launch shafts in 2011, started station construction in 2016, and is expected to be complete in 2022, which is still unrealistic, whereas the REM started construction in 2018, and is expected to be fully complete by 2023). I understand that significantly less tunnelling was required for the REM (only the tunnel from Marie-Curie Station to the airport and repairs/enhancements to the Mont-Royal tunnel, including the construction of McGill and Edouard-Montpetit stations, versus the entire 10 kilometres from Keelesdale to Laird required for the Crosstown), but the pace of construction on the Crosstown feels glacial compared to the astonishingly fast pace of construction on the REM.

The ridiculous thing is that many of the same companies working on the Crosstown are also working on the REM (SNC-Lavalin, Aecon and Dragados, just to name a few).

If Cedarvale (formerly Eglinton West) Station is completed before Eglinton Station, there would be little reason why the portion between Mt. Dennis and Cedarvale Stations can't open first.

I feel like this would be a likely course of action. All of the stations from Mount Dennis to Oakwood look like they could easily be completed by 2022, even at their current pace, and depending on how quickly Cedarvale goes, I could see a late 2021-early 2022 opening for the Mount Dennis to Cedarvale section (although the late 2021 part is mostly just wishful thinking)

I could even see the line opening in 2022 but skipping the Yonge stop.

That would be weird at the first glance, but is actually possible. They'll just run some additional surface buses between Allen Rd and Don Mills, and the riders heading to Yonge will be getting there on the bus, until the LRT station opens.

If Stephen Del Duca was in power/still the Minister of Photo-Ops, you can be rest assured he would've been at this site at the crack of dawn.

When it comes to photo-ops, he's the biggest clown of a Canadian politician you'll ever meet.
It's more concerning that he's now the new Liberal leader for Ontario. Which means he's going to champion almost EVERYTHING that Toronto doesn't need and what's only good for the suburbs.

I know we're a ways-off, probably, but anyone know when we can expect Eglinton to start looking more like a real road again? I remember hearing something about "a year or so before opening" somewhere, since at that point almost all the work will be below ground. Any thoughts on this?

I know we're a ways-off, probably, but anyone know when we can expect Eglinton to start looking more like a real road again? I remember hearing something about "a year or so before opening" somewhere, since at that point almost all the work will be below ground. Any thoughts on this?

At the moment, Eglinton Avenue West is a want-to-be expressway. Wide traffic lanes, where speeders exceed the posted speed limit without consequence, is not wanted after the LRT is constructed. Likely the posted speed limit after construction will be 50 km/h, but will the traffic lanes be designed for the "safety" of speeders?

At the moment, Eglinton Avenue West is a want-to-be expressway. Wide traffic lanes, where speeders exceed the posted speed limit without consequence, is not wanted after the LRT is constructed. Likely the posted speed limit after construction will be 50 km/h, but will the traffic lanes be designed for the "safety" of speeders?
I've seen renders of a long bike lane, my next question was to see if anyone knew the status of that.

My hope is they turn Eglinton into something special, there's certainly the space. I think the Danforth Main Streets thing is gonna showcase what Eglinton could be pretty well.

I've seen renders of a long bike lane, my next question was to see if anyone knew the status of that.

My hope is they turn Eglinton into something special, there's certainly the space. I think the Danforth Main Streets thing is gonna showcase what Eglinton could be pretty well.

Could they build low-rise buildings on Eglinton Avenue (East and West) to create Toronto's version of Avenue des Champs-Élysées?
Vue-a%C3%A9rienne-des-Champs-Elys%C3%A9es-|-630x405-|-%C2%A9-iStock.jpg

From link.

Ladur%C3%A9e-Champs-Elys%C3%A9es-|-630x405-|-%C2%A9-Sarah-Cantaloube.jpg

ef933ffc3cb7db4611ffc03676f0aa5157a1852570c5561922857c2436e11e2f.jpg

From link. (Doubt that Eglinton Avenue West would go car-free like on the Champs-Elysees.)

Still waiting for the Tour de Ontario to use Eglinton as one of the bicycle stages
pressesports_573048_tdf_232.jpg

From link.

Could they build low-rise buildings on Eglinton Avenue (East and West) to create Toronto's version of Avenue des Champs-Élysées?

From link.

From link. (Doubt that Eglinton Avenue West would go car-free like on the Champs-Elysees.)

Still waiting for the Tour de Ontario to use Eglinton as one of the bicycle stages

From link.
It would be amazing if something like this could happen along Eglinton (although not in this exact manner, since Paris and Toronto are very different cities), especially since most of Eglinton from the Allen to Black Creek feels a little drab. The inevitable wave of developments around the stations should be able to push this kind of idea a little further, although I feel like we're only going to end up seeing something along the lines of what Bloor looks like now between Bathurst and Spadina (albeit with a wider roadway), even if we get that. It would be a real shame if almost nothing was done along Eglinton to make it feel like a nicer street, again because the general streetscape could use some work west of the Allen.

From link.

From link.

I have walked down both the Mall and Regent Street in London which is essentially the same as the Champs -Elysees in Paris.

There is no way that Eglinton East or West would ever be of the caliber of the Champs-Elysees.

You would need high end shops, landmark buildings etc to make this work. Eglinton Ave East and West are dumps at the best of times.

Back