1.7K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 735     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

At least it's much more orderly than this:

Kungsgatan_1967.jpg

This was in 1967 in Stockholm when Sweden switched from driving on the left to driving on the right.

Speaking of Stockholm, the Stockholm Metro's logo is similar to both the MBTA logo and to the logo used in renderings of stations along Line 5 Eglinton and on the Eglinton Maintenance and Storage Facility (though the Stockholm Metro's logo is white and very dark blue).
I noticed they removed the signage after someone called them out in copying the sign. Or at least altered their pic of the maintenance storage facility sign without the logo.

Just a random thought here. What are the chances that Toronto Transportation will comply with instituting transit signalling on the Crosstown? The fact that they don’t care about the current streetcar routes says they won’t change. But can Metrolinx via MTO stickhandle Toronto Transportation into bending their moribund culture?

As a follow-up to my earlier post about having grass between the rails and the lack of drainage etc etc. After the slight rainstorm we had this weekend, there were huge puddles in the empty troughs between the rails. I hope they have a plan for this....

As a follow-up to my earlier post about having grass between the rails and the lack of drainage etc etc. After the slight rainstorm we had this weekend, there were huge puddles in the empty troughs between the rails. I hope they have a plan for this....

When the concrete is in place it will run off onto the street and into the drains.

You only need to worry about snow.

Just a random thought here. What are the chances that Toronto Transportation will comply with instituting transit signalling on the Crosstown? The fact that they don’t care about the current streetcar routes says they won’t change. But can Metrolinx via MTO stickhandle Toronto Transportation into bending their moribund culture?

@reaperexpress does a fantastic job at explaining why the priority for our current streetcar system seems so shoddy. its more of the nature of stop spacing and the fact that our streetcar lines criss cross one another.

King Street already has Transit Signal Priority (TSP), as does every other streetcar route. The only exceptions are a handful of major intersections including Queen/Queensway, Spadina, University and Yonge.

Adding more streetcars will make the system even less effective, not more. The main issue is that passenger loading times are variable (making it virtually impossible for the system to accurately estimate when the light needs to be green), but a secondary issue is that there are so many streetcars that they start conflicting with each other. Green lights can't be extended forever, so a streetcar could be denied priority by another streetcar passing through in the other direction.

To manage the extremely-frequent service, the solution is conditional priority. Streetcars which are too close to the one in front would be denied priority, in order to space them out, and to increase the chance that other streetcars actually get priority. And with fewer priority activations, we might be able to get priority at those intersections currently lacking TSP.

Given the geographic/ service differences, it seems probable that the transport department will have the ability to be more aggressive on priority for Eglinton.

When the concrete is in place it will run off onto the street and into the drains.

You only need to worry about snow.

How sure are we that it is going to be concrete fill? In other similar areas further east they have just filled it in as necessary, its these spaces where they have left these purposeful gaps which makes me think that there will be grass or astroturf infill

How sure are we that it is going to be concrete fill? In other similar areas further east they have just filled it in as necessary, its these spaces where they have left these purposeful gaps which makes me think that there will be grass or astroturf infill

There will be solid fill of some sort. They wouldn't encapsulate the rails in rubber if they were to be left exposed.

Dan

I highly doubt they would provided a snow plow can clear it.

Actually a snow storm will be a very interesting challenge in how they deal with it. Especially if partially greened, then you can't use a plow. If you don't run the trains through the night you'll end up with a situation like the Confederation Line where trains for stuck during testing last year. Given the independent right of way City road clearing might actually impede the crosstown. Outside of the tunneled section it might be a real mess

Actually a snow storm will be a very interesting challenge in how they deal with it. Especially if partially greened, then you can't use a plow. If you don't run the trains through the night you'll end up with a situation like the Confederation Line where trains for stuck during testing last year. Given the independent right of way City road clearing might actually impede the crosstown. Outside of the tunneled section it might be a real mess

The problem with heated ROWs is that they are expensive to operate. Electricity is not cheap.

Back