News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 427     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Article and video describing, from a high level, the excavation process for Yonge & Eglinton.

and people wonder why I'm skeptical about the September opening date. Something like this could take longer than planned or something could happen that they didn't plan for during something like this.

Article and video describing, from a high level, the excavation process for Yonge & Eglinton.

I'm no engineer, but... (I know, I know)

Wouldn't it make more sense for the needle beams to sit on top of the side cradle beams to transfer the loads directly on to them rather than being bolted up underneath them? Seems to me to be asking a lot from the bolts! Wondering if the video's creators just misunderstood the engineers and got it wrong...

I'm no engineer, but... (I know, I know)

Wouldn't it make more sense for the needle beams to sit on top of the side cradle beams to transfer the loads directly on to them rather than being bolted up underneath them? Seems to me to be asking a lot from the bolts! Wondering if the video's creators just misunderstood the engineers and got it wrong...
It look like its for space. By scaling, I will assume that the cradle beam is 3m deep, and the needle beams 1m deep. The way they did it, the bottom of the needle beam is level with the underside of the Yonge Line station box. When the needle beam is inserted, its underside would 1m below the station box. As you can see towards the end, this stuff is left in place and becomes useless space - 1m of useless space.

Your suggestion would have the needle beam under the station box, and the cradle beam being below that. This would lead to 4m of useless space.

It looks like once the project is completed, all these beams are cast into a giant slab, so the connection of these beams is not a concern for the full 100+ design life. Despite this, enough bolts, and adequately tightened (see Nipigon River Bridge for what happens when they are not tightened properly, or properly designed), are not subjected to fatigue stresses so even long term performance is not a concern.

I doubt it governs, but supporting the load under the cradle beam is a bit more stable than having the load added to the top of the cradle beam. With vibration of the station, the needle beams could move laterally, potentially trying to tip over the cradle beams. This of course can be designed for, so it's not a huge deal.

It look like its for space. By scaling, I will assume that the cradle beam is 3m deep, and the needle beams 1m deep. The way they did it, the bottom of the needle beam is level with the underside of the Yonge Line station box. When the needle beam is inserted, its underside would 1m below the station box. As you can see towards the end, this stuff is left in place and becomes useless space - 1m of useless space.

Your suggestion would have the needle beam under the station box, and the cradle beam being below that. This would lead to 4m of useless space.

It looks like once the project is completed, all these beams are cast into a giant slab, so the connection of these beams is not a concern for the full 100+ design life. Despite this, enough bolts, and adequately tightened (see Nipigon River Bridge for what happens when they are not tightened properly, or properly designed), are not subjected to fatigue stresses so even long term performance is not a concern.

I doubt it governs, but supporting the load under the cradle beam is a bit more stable than having the load added to the top of the cradle beam. With vibration of the station, the needle beams could move laterally, potentially trying to tip over the cradle beams. This of course can be designed for, so it's not a huge deal.

That "useless" space would be a good location for wiring conduits, piping, HVAC, and fire controls.

and people wonder why I'm skeptical about the September opening date. Something like this could take longer than planned or something could happen that they didn't plan for during something like this.

Honestly its usually not these parts of the project that delay but moving parts. Such as the trains, doors, signals, switches etc

It looks tough but static buildings are an engineers dream. Stuff that moves are the real nightmares. Moving parts = failure potential.

Not trying to ruin the party or be a bad ass, but other cities in the world do this underpinning in their subway system all the time. For sure it is not the easiest engineering and construction job, but not sure why it is such a big deal in Toronto.

Not trying to ruin the party or be a bad ass, but other cities in the world do this underpinning in their subway system all the time. For sure it is not the easiest engineering and construction job, but not sure why it is such a big deal in Toronto.
Now I wonder how they underpinned Line 1 to get Line 2 in at Bloor-Yonge back in the 60s. They seem to be successful back then.

Because it's an almost a once in a generation type of event in Toronto based on the way we don't build transit in this city.

From the Crosstown social media account:

Back