News   May 14, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 585     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Well, that will be intresting to see....

Who do I have to bribe to be on that train?

Bribe the "tunnel manager". I feel the same way :)

To the west, anything other than Renforth and Pearson (perhaps at both T1 and T3 if there's an easy way) might be unnecessary overkill and ultimately unused.

Hmm, well maybe just stops at Pearson and the major intersections, such as Kipling, Islington, Royal York, etc. You never know, maybe those stops might be well used in the end, the stops at streets such as Lloyd Manor are for sure overkill.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.675...&w=96&h=64&yaw=163.14487&pitch=0&thumbfov=100

Hmm, well maybe just stops at Pearson and the major intersections, such as Kipling, Islington, Royal York, etc.
Yes, certainly stops east of Renforth! The context recall was "They have already dropped the stops at The East Mall and one other stop ( I can't remember ), but I don't think the western extention needs too many stops either."

I was only discussing the extension west of East Mall ... particularly west of Renforth. The city's SmartTrack LRT was only planned to Renforth. I assume you were talking about the extension west of there which would be outside of the city's remit.

Yes, certainly stops east of Renforth! The context recall was "They have already dropped the stops at The East Mall and one other stop ( I can't remember ), but I don't think the western extention needs too many stops either."

I was only discussing the extension west of East Mall ... particularly west of Renforth. The city's SmartTrack LRT was only planned to Renforth. I assume you were talking about the extension west of there which would be outside of the city's remit.

Nah, I was talking about the portion between Renforth and Mt. Dennis.

Well now it's too late. I imagine the comment was for it being done in the original design.

For a while I thought the best option was to dig up the first couple of hundred metres of the tunnel portal and rebuild it so that the track would surface on the south side. Now I think that too much work has been done with the original plan and we will have to live with this - warts and all.
That opens up another set of problems like the ones on Queen's Quay and Cherry Street if you have the right of way on only one side of the road.

There's only 2 proposed stops between Renforth Stn and Pearson (Convair and Silver Dart) and Silver Dart seems utterly useless to have. I'd rather they stretch out the alignment a bit to serve a stop at Carlingview and Dixon considering the cluster of hotels and convention centres nearby if we must have 2 intermediate stops en route to the airport.

I had the pleasure of going on a tunnel tour this morning with Metrolinx! These show the tunnel structure just west of Caledonia Station. Please enjoy.

THE TUNNELS BENEATH OUR FEET

I

DSC_2649-2-2.jpg

II

DSC_2532-2.jpg

III

DSC_2535-2.jpg

IV

DSC_2561-2.jpg

V

DSC_2605-2.jpg

VI

DSC_2683-2.jpg

VII

DSC_2466.jpg

VIII

DSC_2499-3.jpg

IX

DSC_2712-2.jpg

The tunnels are way larger than I expected. The pictures don't really give a good sense of perspective. I'm almost 6'2 and the tunnels are close to 3 times my height.

Attachments

• DSC_2499.jpg
    DSC_2499.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 240
The westbound tunnel had tracks fully laid between Caledonia station and Fairbank station. I was told they go as far as Oakwood (but not in the stations yet; they need to be further advanced.). Eastbound was further behind; it was in the process of having rails pulled and installed as shown in the pictures. I don't think it will take them long. All the welded rail and ties were there and the holes were drilled. No catenary has been installed. The plan is to test trains in this section (Mt Dennis - Oakwood) first.

Have you ever heard of streetcar suburbs?
I believe @sixrings has a very dry sense of humour, but yes, many US cities historically had 'streetcar suburbs' as well as 'interurban' ones, Chicago probably being one of the best examples of remnants still functioning.

But in modern terms, nothing in North Am is more illustrative than San Diego's Trolley.

Here's from July 2, 1981 WashPost: (It's grown a long way since then, connecting even more suburban cities into SD downtown and to each other. It's owned by Sandag (San Diego Area Governments)
This city has built a mass transit system without a nickel from the federal government.

Known here as the "Tijuana Trolley," the system is to begin operating in late July, on time and on budget, serving a 16-mile route between downtown San Diego and the Mexican border. Local officials are so pleased that they are talking of building a line that would connect downtown and the city's eastern suburbs.

The $86 million light-rail project was funded by the state gasoline tax, with some help from a .25 percent local sales tax.

It is the first trolley system built in the United States in a generation and the country's cheapest mass transit system, in terms of dollars per mile, in 40 years. It cost only a little more than $5 million for San Francisco's Bay Area Rapid Transit system and $43 million for Washington's Metro.

The basic fare is $1, although those using the trolley in the downtown area alone will pay just 25 cents.

The city already owned 14.2 miles of track that once belonged to the San Diego's biggest factories, through its southern suburbs and stopping 200 feet from the Mexican border, provides the bulk of the trolley line.

To complete the line, the transit development board had to install 1.7 miles of traditional track along city streets. An overhead electric wire will provide power.

The two-car trains will make the trip in 33 minutes. The bus takes 77.

The cars, with a starter fleet of 14, were built by Siemens-DuWag of Dusseldorf, at $8000,000 apiece.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...a08-ac3a-6cf16b30b2ef/?utm_term=.2070a51f5dc5

A lot has changed since then, Siemens obviously having set up shop in California.

There's some question as to whether Edmonton predated the SD Trolley. It did in deed, but not necessarily in connecting cities together.
It cost only a little more than $5 million for San Francisco's Bay Area Rapid Transit system
Is a typo error. That should be $50M, and Bart has currently gone through the roof:

Bay Area subway and rail costs: Why are they among the highest in the world?
The process of designing, bidding, and building mega-projects is a costly one, but it doesn’t have to be this way
By Andy Bosselman@andybosselman Jun 18, 2018, 11:30am PDT
[...]
To make smarter investments in future construction, Levy agrees with local transportation advocates who have been “banging their heads against the wall” as they call for transit agencies to coordinate regional planning.

In many countries, including France, Germany, and Switzerland, regional planning organizations are charged with creating well-coordinated network that offers a seamless experience between different transit agencies. They design rail, subways, tram, and buses lines to work together.

In Paris, a single planning organization, the RATP, dictates routes and spending for new infrastructure. Individual transit agencies operate trains and buses, they do not plan or construct their own expansions.
[...]
https://sf.curbed.com/2018/6/18/17464616/bay-area-subway-train-rail-costs-price-bart-muni

Lessons to be learned!

Last edited:
Have you ever heard of streetcar suburbs?
As much as I love streetcar suburbs (I really do, I would live along the 506 if I could afford it), Eglinton (At least the current line as is) is not suitable for that type of development. While the crosstown is an LRT, it will still bring development, but a suburban mixed-use type development, which isn't bad for the corridor, but it will likely lead to capacity constraints in the future. Eglinton was not ripe for LRT, it should have been heavy rail.

Back