Toronto Crosstown LRT: Eglinton Station | ?m | 1s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Didnt they only just cap off the structural concrete on concourse level? Backfill even started yet? Smh what a boondoggle. Who was the engineering firm who did Yonge—Eg? Cause tbh they kinda #**%&@ it big time imo
For what it's worth, the "structural concrete" referred to here is this - the purple rectangle. The big hole you used to see at street level at Yonge and Eg that recently had its concrete roof poured is the underground walkway in the unpaid area of the station that will allow future pedestrians to cross the intersection without surfacing at street level. Nothing to do with the station box itself, which is far deeper underground. Yes work on Eglinton Station is behind, but it's not so behind that they only just put a roof over the Line 5 platform.

Screenshot 2023-01-08 at 19.16.38.png

int_yonge_ttc_concourse_90.jpg

Reactions: max
Good point. The brown tile might not be platform level at all! It has been a very long time since I was there. But most TTC platforms are terrazzo iirc?

My comments are based on assumption that Urban Chairman’s photos are on platform level looking north at the new escalator I circled in this render. If that IS the case then I maintain the platform isnt moving. If not then I totally agree and must admit all bets are off.

I really wish that ML would give some type of detailed update. Might be time to jump a hoarding again and find out for myself. 😉

View attachment 449034

I commute through Eglinton Station every day and know where this is. Urban Chairman's photos are not at platform level. This photo is from the mezzanine level above (i.e. Cinnabon level). You'll see this construction fascade when you come up the staircase at the northern-most end of the current platform.

Here's what that looks in the final design for Eglinton. The render that everyone is referring to is out of date. Frustrating that Metrolinx keeps it on their website, it's not accurate. Here are the final designs:

The existing north staircase is in the green square. Urban Chairman's photos are of the future escalator in the red circle, planned from the Cinnabon level down to Line 1 platform level. If it helps, the blue square is the escalator up from the concourse to the (former) BMO at street level, at the intersection of Yonge and Eglinton.
View attachment 449294

Here's what that looks like from Line 1's platform. Again, green square is the existing north-side staircase. Urban Chairman's photos are of the future escalator in the red circle. The future Line 1 platform will be extended north, but by less than originally planned. Per the final design doc:

"The preliminary concepts approved by the TTC Board in 2013 included a possible 70- metre extension of the subway platform to the north, to improve customer transfer distribution. The final design reduces the platform extension to approximately 24 metres. Although this platform extension will result in a shift of the train position to the north, access to the existing elevator and stairs to the south entrance will be maintained."

View attachment 449295
I couldn't have said it better myself eglinton1661

Here's page 18 of the TTC interchange pdf report that was linked above:
(It shows the cross-section view looking west)

Cross-section of Eglinton Stn. Subway-LRT interchange.jpeg

Here are some (crappy phone) photos I took a few hours ago at Eglinton Station.

First shows the mezzanine where Urban Chairman's pics were, but further back so you get the perspective of the existing north stairs going down to the platform (at the left of photo).
20230108_172529.jpg

Next shows subway platform level looking north at the bottom of the stairs mentioned above. This hoarding covers the new elevator going up to the subway concourse level.
20230108_172729.jpg

Final photo is looking north to the end of the existing subway platform. Camera is on the far side of the hoarding shown in pic above and looks to where the escalators down to the LRT lower concourse level, will begin descending (at the end of the existing subway platform). Presumably, further behind the hoarding is the platform extension, the elevator that goes down to LRT lower concourse (and then to the LRT platform level) and finally the stairs that descend to the LRT lower concourse.
Although it can't be seen in the photo below, the turnout tracks to the pocket track are still there, so I presume the pocket track is now still operational and will remain in operation after the LRT opens.
20230108_172747.jpg

Here are some (crappy phone) photos I took a few hours ago at Eglinton Station.

First shows the mezzanine where Urban Chairman's pics were, but further back so you get the perspective of the existing north stairs going down to the platform (at the left of photo).View attachment 449301

Next shows subway platform level looking north at the bottom of the stairs mentioned above. This hoarding covers the new elevator going up to the subway concourse level.
View attachment 449302

Final photo is looking north to the end of the existing subway platform. Camera is on the far side of the hoarding shown in pic above and looks to where the escalators down to the LRT lower concourse level, will begin descending (at the end of the existing subway platform). Presumably, further behind the hoarding is the platform extension, the elevator that goes down to LRT lower concourse (and then to the LRT platform level) and finally the stairs that descend to the LRT lower concourse.
Although it can't be seen in the photo below, the turnout tracks to the pocket track are still there, so I presume the pocket track is now still operational and will remain in operation after the LRT opens.
View attachment 449305
Excellent clarification! Thank yoh

The dates seem somewhat sensical, but my cynicism remains.

I looked at the construction updates for the first time in months, and I'm surprised by how much more open some intersections seem to be to the west. Perhaps walking to the spadina line won't be a royal pain anymore. I'm sure it's a nice walk without construction.

Anyways, I cannot wait for the pedestrian lines and lane segments to be painted on sme of these intersections.

The dates and duration don't tell you anything. If you look at previous presentations, all they tell you is that construction will continue until the date of the next CLC meeting. November's says "underway through December 2022", September's says "underway through fall 2022".

The presentations are interesting for progress photos though

This same presentation is presented every 1-2 months. All they do is change the approx date to the following season lol... Wouldn't hold my breath. Hypothetically even if it is correct spring is until mid June. Plus TTC would need 3-6 months for their training / testing. Looking at late 2023 at the very earliest at this point.

The dates and duration don't tell you anything. If you look at previous presentations, all they tell you is that construction will continue until the date of the next CLC meeting. November's says "underway through December 2022", September's says "underway through fall 2022".

The presentations are interesting for progress photos though
Lol 100% correct

Back