News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 940     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 358     0 

Toronto Council Races - 2010

I wouldn't sweat the lawn signs. The whole business is sketchy.

I was riding my bike through Gord Perks' Ward 14 (Parkdale-High Park). Most prominent election sign? Rob Ford for Mayor.

The election signs also suggest Mike Yen is nearly tied with Adam Vaughan in Ward 20 (Trinity-Spadina).

My neighbourhood in Ward 17 has gotten plastered with signs and flyers to the point where its way over the top. The recycling bins are going to be full at next week's end! Interestingly, or smartly, Johah Schein distributed a second flyer this week with endorsements from several including Alejandra Bravo and Shelly Carroll. Only Shelly's was in English though with the rest in Portuguese. Being what seems like 1 of 2 non-Portuguese on my street, I'm going to take an "educated" guess as to it's positive content on the candidate, although I wish they would ensure the flyer was fully in English as well.

I got a pamphlet from Shimmy Posen who is running against Joe Mihevc in Ward 21. The pamphlet claims the ECLRT will be as disruptive as the St. Clair street project, and the ECLRT should be a subway. The pamphlet says the ECLRT will ruin Eglinton, while a subway will not. I think Mr. Posen is hoping to grab the uninformed vote using these sort of scare tactics. The ECLRT is going to be 100% underground through Ward 21, so how is it more disruptive than subway construction?

How did Jim Likourezos get so many signs out there? Where did I hear that he married into wealth.... was it here? I can't think of any other way that he could fund the ton of signage and flyers that I've seen everywhere in Ward 19.

I don't think that NOW got that endorsement right. Layton may have the right ideas but so has Sun and she's worked so much harder. She deserves the job.

Shimmy Posen, the primary challenger for Mihevc's ward, has sent out a brochure about "Saving Eglinton" from the Eglinton LRT. He says Mihevc wants to build a St Clair style right-of-way through our ward (Spadina to just east of Oakwood) and proposes canning the gridlock-inducing disaster in waiting and running it in a tunnel through our ward (as we know, the TTC's plan is to tunnel it here and quite a way either direction)

Blatant and obvious misinformation, trying to rouse the NIMBY vote. Dirty.

How did Jim Likourezos get so many signs out there? Where did I hear that he married into wealth.... was it here? I can't think of any other way that he could fund the ton of signage and flyers that I've seen everywhere in Ward 19.

I don't think that NOW got that endorsement right. Layton may have the right ideas but so has Sun and she's worked so much harder. She deserves the job.

Jim Likourezos has been out pounding the pavement since the winter when I got his first flyer.When I first heard of him, I thought here's another fringe candidate, but when he came to my door a few weeks ago we chatted for 20minutes and I came away quite impressed. He was born and raised in the in the ward, knows the neighbourhood and frankly has a lot of great ideas. Jim and Karen have been the only ones out there walking the streets for months and I respect that more than someone who feels he should get the job because of his last name. It's a shame that the media only gives attention to anyone named Layton or McCormick or Sun. At least Karen has been working hard and deserves it. The same cant be said for Mike. Footman is another strong candidate that doesnt get any attention. As a homeowner who has seen my taxes go through the roof with little to show for it, Jim is the only one that speaks to me and he'll get my vote as well as most of my neighbours.

I agree that Jim has had quite a charming effect on the Ward, so much so that my household and neighbours are voting for him. It's interesting that he hasn't had any press despite having as many signs up as Mike. If he were to win would we know? That said, one of my neighbours is a union member and this being a democratic society he received a card telling him who he should vote for - Pantalone, Layton and Bolton - good thing secret ballots are still allowed here! Should people be told who to vote for or should there be an educational piece provided and let them decide?

Doug Ford has finally started campaigning a little bit in the last week before the election:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2010/10/22/a-ford-family-affair-in-etobicoke-north/

Platform:

- Will continue to serve as President of Deco Labels
- Bring an NFL team to Toronto
- Make Woodbine Mall more like the West Edmonton Mall
- Keep Etobicoke high schools open later so teens have a place to hang out

Also his wife is named Karla and his kids Kayla, Kyla, Kara and Krista.

Doug Ford has finally started campaigning a little bit in the last week before the election:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2010/10/22/a-ford-family-affair-in-etobicoke-north/

Platform:

- Will continue to serve as President of Deco Labels
- Bring an NFL team to Toronto
- Make Woodbine Mall more like the West Edmonton Mall
- Keep Etobicoke high schools open later so teens have a place to hang out

Also his wife is named Karla and his kids Kayla, Kyla, Kara and Krista.

So how much time will he devote to his full time job at Deco and his side job at City Hall? How can these guys get away with that shit? If they're getting a full time pay from the city, they should be putting in full time hours. (40 hours/week)

Ward 19

McCormick is the only candidate worthy of support. The others represent more of the same. After 30 years of Pantalone, it is a question of whether the ward wants a change of face - or a change of direction. I am also offended by the notion of a dynastic right to govern - Layton is obviously the Kim Il Sung of Trinity Spadina. Karen Sun admittedly has worked hard but she is not terribly articulate and is another lefty.

McCormick is the change we need. His ownership of the Liberty Village pedestrian bridge across the railway is a demonstration of the new vision that is necessary.

Karen Sun admittedly has worked hard but she is not terribly articulate and is another lefty.

McCormick is the change we need. His ownership of the Liberty Village pedestrian bridge across the railway is a demonstration of the new vision that is necessary.

Karen Sun can learn how to polish her communication skills. But willful ignorance is incurable.

Honkydonkey, perhaps you can succeed where others have failed. Please explain to Sean that the Liberty Village pedestrian bridge has already been approved by the City and is moving ahead through the provincial EA process.

I hear Sean is collecting signatures on a petition in support of this bridge. Presumably he will present it to himself as councillor, in order to persuade himself to make a motion for City Council to approve a bridge it approved already. Here is Joe Pantalone taking credit for getting the approval.

Back