Toronto Corus Quay | ?m | 8s | Waterfront Toronto | Diamond Schmitt

Building up the waterfront

Mayor David Miller says he hopes new Corus building will be catalyst for creating more jobs near Queens Quay East

JENNIFER LEWINGTON
From Wednesday's Globe and Mail Last updated on Wednesday, Jul. 08, 2009 07:07AM EDT
CITY HALL BUREAU CHIEF

Serenaded by the whine of saws, Toronto Mayor David Miller and a cast of business leaders christened the near-completion of the first new commercial building on the waterfront yesterday.

At a construction "topping off" ceremony for the 500,000-square-foot glass-clad structure - the new home of media giant Corus Entertainment next year - Mr. Miller said he hopes the project will be a catalyst for future job creation on the eastern waterfront.

"There is going to be an incredible vibrancy here," he said, with the newly named Corus Quay office and broadcast centre at Jarvis and Queens Quay East located next to a new George Brown campus under construction.

"They [people] will be living here, working here, playing here and studying here," Mr. Miller said.

"Corus is symbolic of the future industries of Toronto," he added.

But with Toronto's commercial real estate market in a slump, no one is making firm predictions about how quickly other businesses will migrate to East Bayfront. Over time, the long-dormant area is expected to draw 6,000 new residents and 8,000 "knowledge industry" jobs, with the addition of 12 acres of parks and open space.

Mr. Miller praised Corus for having "the courage and foresight to be the first" new building in the district.

But the go-ahead for the $160-million project, with Corus as the sole tenant for its 1,200 employees, came with key incentives from the city.

The project, constructed on city-owned land, was developed by the City of Toronto Economic Development Corp., the agency assigned to guide and develop Toronto properties.

The agency has no authority to borrow money directly so the city provided a $120-million backstop loan.

The city also provided $18-million in tax rebates to be recouped in time.

TEDCO acting chief executive Don Logie said "it's hard to say" if city tax and other incentives will be needed to spur commercial activity in the area.

"We are going through a pretty tough time right now and the next two years will be very difficult to attract tenants," he said.

I am not sure how long it will take for things to get rolling down there, beyond Corus and George Brown, but I would imagine that given the proximity to water, highways, the core and people, that this are will ultimately be very hard to get into. I was also thinking that given Ubisoft's recent decision to open an office here in Toronto, that this area would be perfectly suited to such a venture. Here is to hoping!

p5

^By "hard to get into" do you mean via roads/transportation... or do you mean that real estate will be difficult to buy?

Across from Corus (northeast corner of Lower Sherbourne and Queen's Quay) is some major demolition. I believe this is where that box car/caboose restaurant used to be.

DSCN4693.jpg

DSCN4696.jpg

I mean due to the real-estate prices and location. I am not sure what the transportation will be like, but it would be great to see the creation of Queen's Quay East LRT.

Eventually the plan is to have LRT (Harbourfront/Spadina-style, not Transit City style) run from Union station, east on Queens Quay, then south on Cherry to serve the Distillery District and West Don Lands. I think this area is going to be very vibrant in 10 years or so.

Eventually the plan is to have LRT (Harbourfront/Spadina-style, not Transit City style) run from Union station, east on Queens Quay, then south on Cherry to serve the Distillery District and West Don Lands. I think this area is going to be very vibrant in 10 years or so.

Harbourfront will move to TC with traffic on the north side using single end cars. The extension to the east from Bay St to the new Cherry St will be the same. LRT on Cherry St will be on the east side from King St to the Lake Shore where it will switch to the west side to the Shipping Channel.

Villier St Line will run on the north side as well part of Commissioner St.

We will see a big change starting in 2010/11 with the rebuilding of the Queens Quay from Spadina Ave to Cherry St and Cherry St from King St to the underpass. Once the underpass is rebuilt and the final outcome on the Gardiner is made, the Keating Channel development can more forward. The southern part can move regardless what taking place on the Gardiner now. The West Donlands development is already moving forward.

The next 5 years will see the big beginning for this area.

Across from Corus (northeast corner of Lower Sherbourne and Queen's Quay) is some major demolition. I believe this is where that box car/caboose restaurant used to be.

is the area fenced off? any security?

Drum, who is funding the Queens Quay East/Cherry LRT? Is it Harbourfront Toronto? When is it scheduled to be complete? I know a major renovation of the Union LRT loop is in the works to allow for QQE and the Waterfront West LRT.

Here is Miller's comments sans spin.

"Corus is symbolic of the future industries of Toronto,"

Courus is symbolic of the future of industries in Toronto, here because we paid them to be.

Mr. Miller praised Corus for having "the courage and foresight to be the first" new building in the district.

Mr. Miller praised Corus for having "the courage and foresight to have the city pay to relocate its employees under one roof".

is the area fenced off? any security?

1. It is fenced off, almost!

2. It is where the Abel Building was, with the expensive light store which moved east along QQ and where the Town and Country restaurant used to be.

3. This building was demolished because Waterfront Toronto has started construction of Sherbourne Park and this runs from Lakeshore, through Queen's Quay to the Lake. More info on that in another thread and at WT website.

Drum, who is funding the Queens Quay East/Cherry LRT? Is it Harbourfront Toronto? When is it scheduled to be complete? I know a major renovation of the Union LRT loop is in the works to allow for QQE and the Waterfront West LRT.

Though I am not Drum 118, I can tell you that the QQ east LRT is a Waterfront Toronto project - info on their website. They are also funding the Cherry Street line from King south to the rail bridge, initially. Construction on Cherry Street is supposed to start late this fall or next spring and they have just finished removing contaminated soil from Cherry at Mill and will soon move north to remove contaminated soil from the fenced-off piece at Cherry/Front and, I think, up to Cherry/Eastern.

Back