Toronto Corus Quay | ?m | 8s | Waterfront Toronto | Diamond Schmitt

Especially a station that claims to be "new" rock like the edge. don't get me started on the crap they play (e.g. nirvana, which is anything but new).

The Edge used to be one of the best radio stations, back in the day. When they used to have their headquarters on Queen and Kennedy in Brampton, and played music that other radio stations wouldn't even touch. Honk your horns Toronto!!! Anyways, having their studios in this building is going to be very lucrative in about 5 or 6 years....and their music these days is very repetetive and very mainstream...just my 2 cents.

Especially a station that claims to be "new" rock like the edge. don't get me started on the crap they play (e.g. nirvana, which is anything but new).

Heck, Nirvana would be the best of it. Whenever I walk past the 102.1 storefront on Yonge I seem to hear Nickleback-style faux-rock, or the same bloody songs they used to play back in the mid 90s when I grew bored of that station. Newsflash to the operators of the "Edge": The Stone Temple Pilots were never that good. Honest. Let them die now. Oh, and you know, there are Canadian bands other than 54-40. No guff. You should get your kids to show you how to "do a google" for newer Canadian bands.

It actually angers me that the same handful of mediocre acts from a decade and a half ago still gets such heavy airplay while hundreds of excellent newer bands get none. And that is not an exaggeration: there are tons of bands that can sell out the Horseshoe 6 times a year, tour across North America and the UK to adoring crowds, but never get their songs played on the radio even once. Why? It's sad.

I will feel little sympathy when radio stations as we know them finally die -- their days are numbered. The physical move to the Corus building will be the final nail in the 102.1 coffin. I give them 2 years.

Last edited:
Edge isn't just new, it's also alternative, which is implied. A lot of the 'new' bands that they play from the 80's and 90's are there because they were alternative at the time, and thus inspired the new generation of music.

Anyway, I guess Spoonman and I are the only grunge fans here.

Last edited:
Actually, as a rock-radio repository, Corus probably has more in common with Q107's former Yonge-North Centre premises...

Edge isn't just new, it's also alternative, which is implied. A lot of the 'new' bands that they play from the 80's and 90's are there because they were alternative at the time, and thus inspired the new generation of music.

I wouldn't say I'm a big fan, but I do enjoy a few grunge bands myself. So you can add another one to the tally if you'd like.

Actually, as a rock-radio repository, Corus probably has more in common with Q107's former Yonge-North Centre premises...

If Q107 @ the Yonge-Norton Centre is to north-of-the-401 suburbia as 102.1 @ Corus is to a condoland filled with twenty- and thirtysomethings, then yes.

I love grunge! The original, first-generation: Nirvana, PJ, etc. It's the later wave of watered down semi-grunge (Bush X etc) which then mutated into soft rock shlock (Nickleback etc) that I can't stand. The later wave of "alternative" kept a few superficial aspects of the music -- such as the distortion settings on the amp -- but ripped out the angst, the anger, the lyrics, and the creativity. Yawn. There was nothing more "alternative" about Nicklecreedback in 1998 than there is now.

I love grunge! The original, first-generation: Nirvana, PJ, etc. It's the later wave of watered down semi-grunge (Bush X etc) which then mutated into soft rock shlock (Nickleback etc) that I can't stand. The later wave of "alternative" kept a few superficial aspects of the music -- such as the distortion settings on the amp -- but ripped out the angst, the anger, the lyrics, and the creativity. Yawn. There was nothing more "alternative" about Nicklecreedback in 1998 than there is now.

:)

Back on topic please.

I was thinking the same thing. (Though my Yonge-Norton invocation was halfway apropos, archi-urbanistically speaking...)

I have to agree with others who are saying it's an underwhelming bore, but I don't find it offensive. Hey, it could have been beige precast.

Back