Toronto Corus Quay | ?m | 8s | Waterfront Toronto | Diamond Schmitt

National Post

Link to article

City approves $160m office tower project
Corus Entertainment; Use of taxpayer money criticized as poor precedent

Kelly Patrick
National Post

Friday, May 25, 2007

Despite warnings the arrangement is risky, city council yesterday easily approved a deal to finance a $159.5-million waterfront office tower for Corus Entertainment, Inc.

The project won the support of 34 councillors. Only four voted against it.

Proponents of the First Waterfront Place development praise it as a key step in reviving the lake's edge east of the former Redpath sugar refinery, but critics say the benefits do not outweigh the financial gamble.

"We're spending at least $160-million of taxpayers' money to locate [Corus] here in rents that I question whether they're high enough," said Michael Walker, a councillor who opposed the deal.

Mayor David Miller, an enthusiastic backer of the development, said the eight-storey building with its 1,300 media workers would set the tone for a swath of waterfront that mixes places to work, live and play.

"It's already creating opportunities," Mr. Miller said of the Corus deal. "Universities and colleges are knocking on the TWRC's [the former Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Corporation, now Waterfront Toronto] door to talk about possibilities of coming to the waterfront because we've got a major employer."

Under the deal approved yesterday, the city will lend its arms-length Toronto Economic Development Corporation (TEDCO) $132-million to construct the office tower.

The balance of the money will come from TEDCO ($10- million), Waterfront Toronto ($12.5-million) and the value of the TEDCO-owned land where the building is to be located ($5-million.)

First Waterfront Place will be the largest capital project TEDCO has ever undertaken.

Corus is a media company that owns radio stations across the country, as well as children's networks YTV, Treehouse and Discovery Kids and the animation company Nelvana.

The company is slated to move into the building in the fall of 2009. The deal gives the company $18-million in tax abatements over 20 years.

That means Corus will pay $24-million in taxes over two decades instead of $42-million.

Before voting on the deal, the city hired Sanneck Associates to examine it. Sanneck concluded "the project is likely to yield a financial return that is lower than would be acceptable for a private investor given the project's risk profile."

It also cautioned that if Corus cannot pay the rent down the road, "there could be a negative impact on the city's operating budget and its credit rating unless the situation is rectified."

TEDCO is prohibited from tapping any lenders other than the city.

"It's true, TEDCO has to borrow the money from us. That's the law," Mr. Miller said.

"But the opportunity to have the head office of this major media corporation on the waterfront, to catalyze the rest of the development, is one that would be foolhardy to turn down."

Still, Mr. Walker warned the project sets a poor precedent.

"What happens when the next private sector corporation comes along and says, 'Well if you don't help us locate in a new building at your expense on your property and give us a lease similar to Corus, we're going to Brampton?' We don't have the money to do that every time."

what the city should do is create better tax incentives for businesses that way we wouldn't have this problem!

here's a half decent view of the site

515241977_da01ec7d3b_b.jpg

Diamond repolishes waterfront design

Diamond repolishes waterfront design

Jun 13, 2007 04:30 AM

Martin Knelman

Play It Again, Jack could be the name of the show this morning when Waterfront Toronto's design review panel meets to consider the latest version of a large media complex on Queens Quay at the foot of Jarvis St.
The "Jack" in question is architect Jack Diamond, presiding guru at the firm Diamond and Schmitt Architects. He's returning to the review panel by popular demand to offer spiffy, improved renderings of what was once a secret building, known for reasons of security as "Project Symphony."

Diamond had been commissioned by the Toronto Economic Development Corp. (TEDCO) to design a media complex across from the Tate & Lyle (formerly Redpath) sugar refinery. But two months ago, when he presented a preliminary design to the review panel, things got a bit nasty.
"No applause?" asked Diamond.
Instead of applause, he got complaints from rival architects on the panel: that the plan lacked magic, the design did not engage the public, he should raise the bar higher.
Diamond feels confident that when he presents his improved version of Project Symphony today, the response will be much more positive.
After all, he has added details, such as an egg-shaped studio visible within a light-filled atrium dividing two halves of office towers, and a restaurant that spills out into an outdoor lakeside café, that some might even say deliver magic and raise the bar.
"A lot of shaping has taken place since that first meeting," says Diamond. And he has a sensational site, next to the Jarvis St. slip.
"This will be a catalyst of the first order," Diamond says. "It's the first building on the East Bay and it will animate the area."
Until very recently, it was a dark secret just what media company had made a deal with TEDCO to be chief tenant. A couple of years ago, CanWest Global planned a massive centre on the same site, until negotiations with TEDCO turned sour.
Now the secret is out and it is no longer necessary to use Project Symphony. The mystery tenant is Corus Entertainment, whose 1,100 employees will occupy half the space.
It might have been tempting to change the code to "Project A Corus Line." But now it has a new name: First Waterfront Place.
Three weeks ago, Toronto City Council approved a deal under which the city will finance the building by lending TEDCO, its arm's-length agency, $132 million. Waterfront Toronto will contribute $12.5 million, and TEDCO another $10 million, plus the value of the land ($5 million).
As part of the deal, Corus gets major tax abatement, paying $24 million in taxes over the 20 years of its lease instead of $42 million after moving its employees into First Waterfront Place in 2009.
Diamond/Schmitt had been commissioned to work on what was then the CanWest building and continues to work on it in its Corus incarnation. At one point, the dream was to attract a public institution to this site, such as the Art Gallery of Ontario. There was talk of a United Nations university. None of that came to pass.
Corus is not a public institution but, like other media empires, it does operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week. And at certain times, the public will be able to visit the building and participate as studio audience. As well, the complex will have a restaurant, outdoor space and two retail outlets, which should create ongoing activity.
Besides, it has one great virtue worth celebrating: it is not another condo building.
Today will bring the answer to one lingering question: will Jack Diamond earn applause from the design panel?

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/224630

Let's hope the new design is a huge improvement on the old one.

Sounds like it could be, and at least we have the design review panel - otherwise the original version would have been the default. The first few sentences were a bit of a hoot too.

Studio audiences - I am trying to figure out what Corus has that would involve studio audiences. Derringer's morning show> (like most morning shows, I'll pass - Andy Barrie is the only one I can listen to in the AM) 590 Sports Radio broadcasts? Are there any cable channels that Corus has that has opportunity for studio audiences? Certainly not Teletoon!

Anyway, here's hoping for something better. It sounds a bit like minor tweaking (the atrium stays) though. Have to wait and see.

There was a picture in the Star.

DSCN0664.JPG

Looks like we're getting our own 'Chicago' egg/bean hybrid.

Hard to tell given this is a cross section and not an exterior rendering, but it does look better than the previous version. The Pod thing is a pure ripoff of Foster's Pharmacy building however (not that I am complaining).

What interests me more is the intricacy of the glass atrium on both the waterfront and the Queen's Quay side - looks like there is some sort of tension structure holding it all in place.

AoD

The atrium appears to extend further out and looks much more interesting. I still want to see more detailed plans and what the exterior will look like, especially from the water and west sides.

I wonder if this cross section is still the atrium sandwiched between the 2 boring office blocks. If this whole glass atrium could take up the whole waterside I would call it an improvement.

This is definately a cross-section (the picture in the paper is clearer).

It certainly appears the Diamond has listened to the criticism a little and has 'given in' to those who want more than just an office complex that was worthy of Markham.

Diamond's own words, when it was suggested to him that he should consider something a little more unconventional, like a cantilevered element: "You do not take a shape and cram a use into it. The idea to get something cantilevered: that speaks to me of provincial insecurity."

But a studio in an egg is not craming a use into an shape and does not speak of 'provincial insecurity'?

So many architects are so full of hot air sometimes.

This does appear (from very limited information) to be a definite improvement over the previously revealed design. On a scale from 0 to 10, the earlier design was maybe a 2 (adequate for Markham, but not remotely good enough for the central Toronto waterfront), while this design is somewhere between 3 and 5, from what I can see in that cross-section. Still not great by any means, but at least it's no longer a pus-filled carbuncle on the waterfront.

The financial logic behind this project is still just as dodgy as ever, though.

Bill

Studio audiences - I am trying to figure out what Corus has that would involve studio audiences.

Corus own and operates YTV, Treehouse, W Network, CMT, Movie Central, The Documentary Channel, Discovery Kids, and SCREAM. Corus Entertainment also owns Corus Custom Networks, Max Trax and Nelvana Limited, which owns Kids Can Press.

Many of these stations could have or host a studio audience. Corus is only a 50% owner of Teletoon, Telelatino, and 20% of the Food Network Canada .

Looks like we're getting our own 'Chicago' egg/bean hybrid.

I wonder if it is an original Anish Kapoor or a copy. I think that one of his pieces would look amazing inside one of the new ROM galleries. Just a grey metal sphere in the middle of Libeskind's space. Perfectly contemporary.

Back