Toronto Corus Quay | ?m | 8s | Waterfront Toronto | Diamond Schmitt

spmarshall,the only reason I would hate Brampton is because your from there and for some bizzare reason you like to mention it even though we aren't talking about it.

Otherwise I love the city, I know Susan really well, I even have a City of Brampton pin I got from her in my collection, I love Gage Park and even admit that the new Rose Theatre is better than the Living Arts Centre. I like the flower displays the city puts on at the CNE, I almost had my birthday dinner with my parents at the Mandarin Headquarters this year. However, I did mention Brampton in the icebreaker at my birthday party.

I have many friends from Brampton, I do the CIBC Run for the Cure at the Powerade Centre every October, I go to Cora's off Hurontario every Sunday with my hot baseball friend, when I visit friends in Waterloo I'll take the VIA Rail from downtown Brampton, I buy supplements from the GNC at Trinity Commons, my fav drink - Barcardi is made there, my sister works in a hotel in Brampton, I co-host fundraising events at the Pearson Convention Centre, and this past fall I planned a youth conference and fair for at risk youth at the Holiday Inn across from Bramalea City Centre.

Louroz

Hey. No problem linking to my picture. No worries. If you want save it on your own machine and somehow host it somewhere because im not sure my bandwidth can handle it but yeah. go ahead and take it. I wish i took a better one.

We were pointing fingers at the architect first, then I suggested we aim our anger towards TEDO

And from TEDCO to council, which appears to have endorsed this sucker. Part of council is the mayor, and at the very least, he has been silent.

Miller is not going to say anything bad about his dear friend and supporter Diamond. We are doomed and we will have one more thing on the waterfront that will make us shake our collective heads in 10 years and say "what on earth were they thinking?"

The more I think about this, the more angry I get. And I have little doubt that the public will become more angry and cynical about the waterfront 'regeneration' when they see this banal building being constructed so close to the water.

I wonder if it has any environmental redeeming qualities? Heck, get rid of the cheese (lighthouse) and add a windmill.

It certainly looks like the fix is in and unfortunately Miller's fingerprints are all over it (implicitly).

"The public" are, for the most part, visual illiterates. The fact that this "knowledge industry" building isn't designed by Libeskind or Gehry or Alsop, or look like a big friggin' brain or something equally outlandish, won't matter to them at all.

But they'll probably be happy that something is finally happening down there that isn't just trees and promenades - but places where people can actually work. Once housing starts to appear as well they'll be even happier. All they've heard so far is hot air and promises from politicians without seeing much actual construction.

alklay + blixa:

Which is why I suggested writing to Miller as well - the optics of this whole East Bayfront saga does not favour Miller, and that can be used as a leverage (especially by the media). Why isn't the design community that Miller is dependent upon raising shit? Are we back to family compact all over again? (KPMB's Kuwabara certainly didn't hestitate to complain, however),

re: Miller/Hazel bashing

Enough already.

CN:

To mods and the board: sorry for the interruption on this thread - I had no way of contacting jayomatic otherwise through ezboard, and felt it would be irresponsible not to.

Glad that you took the initative of publicizing this "atrocity" and making the connections!

AoD

I'm curious about the tenant..

1100 Workers, many clues leading to perhaps bell globemedia as a tenant but nothing revealed.

Jayomatic, what clues?

I think the clues include "24 hour activty", the empthasis on "public interaction" and that they'll be coming from multiple sites. Globemedia has the Agincourt and Front Street sites (and also had administrative offices elsewhere - they were at 250 Yonge at one point).

What other types of knowledge workers work 24 hours a day but in media/news? Not that many. Public interaction could be as simpl as CityTV-style streeters. Even CBC News does it too, and has an atrium with occasional public uses.

I think all signs are pointing that direction. The Front Street site in particular must be worth a fortune.

I'm surprised this thing has generated so much negative energy here. I don't particularly like it, it's bland, uninspiring... but so are so many other buildings in the city.

Miller is not going to say anything bad about his dear friend and supporter Diamond. We are doomed and we will have one more thing on the waterfront that will make us shake our collective heads in 10 years and say "what on earth were they thinking?"
Wow, the dramatics are hitting a new high around here. A nice but not gimmicky or "iconic" building on the waterfront means we're doomed?? I think ten years from now all we'll say is "there's that (insert tenant here) building on the waterfront" as we walk through a busy new waterfront neighbourhood filled with nice but not iconic buildings.

There was one unfinished watercolour that showed some better details. 42 and I thought there was some promise there with the detailing. However, the renders (which are smaller scale) look dull, and that is what people will see from a distance. The only promise is detail in the exterior and the proposed beacon, which was not present in all the renders. The other thing that could be said in its defense is that it will be a LEED Gold standard.

I don't get the hyperbolically negative reaction either; it seems based entirely upon the extended-drumroll way this project was introduced, or conversely, the bad rep TEDCO has....

Brighter Hell, I hear ya and I am certainly not arguing for gimmicky (as gimmicky is never good architecture). I just want something better than banal, something better than an office building that looks like it could be anywhere (or worse, anywhere in the 'burbs). I want more than just "two office buildings with a neato atrium."

I do not think that its too much to ask for inspiring architecture and yes, we are doomed (not in an biblical way tho) if we accept the banal and make excuses for it, when we could have better.

Back