Toronto Corktown Common | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto | Maryann Thompson

Looks like the little piece of River Street between King and Queen is nearly ready to reopen. They paved it the other day, and yesterday morning they were removing the metal fencing between the already open sidewalk and the road.

Anyone any idea when the park itself is supposed to open? Looking forward to testing it with a 4-year old soon.

That 4 year old will likely be 5 by then as they aren't opening the park until next summer. Seems a little ridiculous but the wet side of the berm hasn't been finished and they will be working on it through the fall and winter.

This time frame will also allow the newly planted vegetation to become well established before getting trampled and pee'd on.

I walked down River Street as far as the fences would let me, and the amount of vegetation they've planted is HUGE! ... Looks like a lot of local grasses and shrubbery with a few young trees here and there...I was impressed!

I walked down River Street as far as the fences would let me, and the amount of vegetation they've planted is HUGE! ... Looks like a lot of local grasses and shrubbery with a few young trees here and there...I was impressed!

Are you referring to the Queen/King/River triangle? Because that still looked basically like a dirt lot with a hole in it last weekend.

Are you referring to the Queen/King/River triangle? Because that still looked basically like a dirt lot with a hole in it last weekend.

Originally Posted by jiec

Clearly jiec walked down River Street south of King to the Don River Park and he (or she) is right - it IS impressive.

Originally Posted by jiec

Clearly jiec walked down River Street south of King to the Don River Park and he (or she) is right - it IS impressive.

Never mind, I reread the thread and aside from nfitz's and badga's references to the park where the Bayview underpass used to be, it's clear that jiec is referring to the 'new' end of River where it meets Bayview, and I agree: there is a considerable amount of vegetation and landscaping there. I was there on the weekend and kind of wished it was already accessible.

Yes, you're both correct. I walked south from King. There were a few weeks in the late winter/early spring when you could actually get into the park, and check out the pavillion, ponds, berms, etc. Just the sheer size of the place was already impressive at that point, but there was no vegetation around. What really impressed me this time was how mature the vegetation looked. They must have spent a lot of money to get well-established shrubbery, grasses and trees.

Yes, you're both correct. I walked south from King. There were a few weeks in the late winter/early spring when you could actually get into the park, and check out the pavillion, ponds, berms, etc. Just the sheer size of the place was already impressive at that point, but there was no vegetation around. What really impressed me this time was how mature the vegetation looked. They must have spent a lot of money to get well-established shrubbery, grasses and trees.

best enjoy it while you can before it falls into ruin at the hands of Toronto Parks.

I've seen the park through the chainlink fences surrounding it, and it looks really promising. But once Toronto Parks takes over, the grass probably won't be cut for months, graffiti won't be removed within a short amount of time, water features will stop working and never be fixed, and its design will be marred by cheap and generic park furniture like those mesh box garbage containers.

Do we seriously need to do this again?

There is/was a thread where someone photographed the evidence that the parks in Toronto are in pretty solid condition, all things considered. Or you can wander by Withrow or Jimmy Simpson or Riverdale east in my 'nabe and see that you're disparaging Parks for no good reason. What is it about anonymous forums that turns people into mudslingers for no reason?

DRP is looking very, very good. I really wish it was open.

Don't forget the homeless moving in and taking over like all downtown parks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ScnshCKAfk&feature=related

Back