Toronto Corktown Common | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto | Maryann Thompson

The north extension of Corktown Common up to the triangle between King, Queen, and River has been landscaped, and the fences come down in June:

IMG_9456.jpg
IMG_9457.jpg
IMG_9458.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9456.jpg
    IMG_9456.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 1,550
  • IMG_9457.jpg
    IMG_9457.jpg
    364.1 KB · Views: 1,528
  • IMG_9458.jpg
    IMG_9458.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 1,516
I would have much preferred if that area had been turned into a public square where events could have been held. As just an entrance to Corktown Common it really has no purpose. We have the large park, so why does the area need this to also be parkland? It will probably sit mostly unused or become another dog washroom. It could have served a much better use.

I disagree. I can see those twin paths as being very good entrance/exit points for cyclists and runners accessing Bayview. It'll work quite nicely. Right now it looks drab, dry, unpromising. I'm assuming it's going to look quite a bit more attractive in the coming months.

The biggest problem I see with this part of the park is that it doesn't really connect too well with the main part. From what I've see of it under the bridge it looks like you have to go down to the sidewalk along Bayview and then cross the street at the curve (doesn't seem too safe). It seems like a missed opportunity that there's not a path (or stairwell) that connects from under the bridge to the path at the top of the slope where the River City condos are.

I would have much preferred if that area had been turned into a public square where events could have been held. As just an entrance to Corktown Common it really has no purpose. We have the large park, so why does the area need this to also be parkland? It will probably sit mostly unused or become another dog washroom. It could have served a much better use.
You do know that there is a public square where events can be held a block away, don't you.

You do know that there is a public square where events can be held a block away, don't you.
Do you mean Lauren Harris Square? That is not my idea of a public square. It's really just a park, like any other park. There really isn't much to it at all. Maybe there is a good reason for that, so I will have to wait, for a final judgement (depending on how it's used/programmed) Right now, it's not very interesting/attractive at all. Yes, I know, we need to give it time to develop.

I still would have preferred a traditional square, to a basic park. It seems like there are very few design elements in this park.

The biggest problem I see with this part of the park is that it doesn't really connect too well with the main part. From what I've see of it under the bridge it looks like you have to go down to the sidewalk along Bayview and then cross the street at the curve (doesn't seem too safe). It seems like a missed opportunity that there's not a path (or stairwell) that connects from under the bridge to the path at the top of the slope where the River City condos are.

This leads to a path that is directly east of River City on top of the berm. You have to cross Bayview at Lauren Harris Square to access the rest of the park. I don't see that as a big deal.

A couple of photos from a few days ago. On-street parking is currently free in the neighbourhood, or at least doesn't seem to be enforced because there are no signs. The park and playground are popular, and my 4-year old especially loves to soft hilly terrain on his balance bike, and the long slide. This park is far above typical Toronto standards, and a great place to contemplate our growing city and how to reclaim the Don river in our public consciousness. People I have asked like the blue "water guardians" sculpture, but not so much the streetlight jumble sculpture, and I agree. Overall, bravo Waterfront Toronto!
IMG_20160416_121333.jpg
PANO_20160416_121216.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160416_121333.jpg
    IMG_20160416_121333.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 974
  • PANO_20160416_121216.jpg
    PANO_20160416_121216.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 929
Last edited:
We've recently moved to the neighbourhood, and I've been surprised and impressed by the wildlife I've seen in the park. Yesterday we saw a small rabbit, and a couple of days ago I saw what I think was a groundhog (something furry and brown about the size of a loaf of bread, with a furry tail). I'm surprised that such a relatively small park in a fairly disturbed area could support such relatively non-urbanized critters.

Does anyone know if the ponds will be stocked with fish at any point? They don't seem to have any currently. The ponds seem pretty heavily choked with weeds at the moment, and I would imagine they are a good breeding spot for mosquitos.

We've recently moved to the neighbourhood, and I've been surprised and impressed by the wildlife I've seen in the park. Yesterday we saw a small rabbit, and a couple of days ago I saw what I think was a groundhog (something furry and brown about the size of a loaf of bread, with a furry tail). I'm surprised that such a relatively small park in a fairly disturbed area could support such relatively non-urbanized critters.

Does anyone know if the ponds will be stocked with fish at any point? They don't seem to have any currently. The ponds seem pretty heavily choked with weeds at the moment, and I would imagine they are a good breeding spot for mosquitos.
I'm pretty sure I saw frogs in the ponds last year. Would be nice if they could support turtles, like the Brickworks.

There is lots of wildlife along the Don River and it's a short and easy hop from there to CC now that critters and humans can get under the Bala rail line. I too think I saw/heard frogs around the ponds last spring but I wonder if they are deep enough for turtles who need a refuge from freezing in winter. There is a surprising amount of wildlife downtown thanks to the river, railway and ravines which all offer great corridors for access.

There is lots of wildlife along the Don River and it's a short and easy hop from there to CC now that critters and humans can get under the Bala rail line. I too think I saw/heard frogs around the ponds last spring but I wonder if they are deep enough for turtles who need a refuge from freezing in winter. There is a surprising amount of wildlife downtown thanks to the river, railway and ravines which all offer great corridors for access.

Including deer on both the Don Trail and Leslie Spit, including a young family that were living for a while at Beechwood Wetlands.

Riverdale Farm's lower ponds have a ton of turtles, frogs, and marsh birds (including the odd crane/heron), so maybe some transplants could be moved to the new digs?

It's remarkable how much wildlife you can see, right in the heart of the city. (Once on a morning run I happened upon a full-grown male deer in Mount Pleasant cemetery. Could have knocked me over with a feather.) Our ravines are really a tremendous asset.

Lots of garter snakes in Tommy Thompson Park as well

This park is going to be part of the greenway from Tommy Thompson Park (esp. after the work at Lower Don Lands/Port Lands is completed) - wildlife migration is considered from day one.

AoD

Back