Toronto Concord Sky | 299m | 85s | Concord Adex | Kohn Pedersen Fox

You're correct. As opposed to an on-site dedicated park space, this is off-site dedicated park space.

Parks changed their focus in downtown just over a year ago from accepting cash-in-lieu. Wherever possible they now want actual park land.

I'm amused at this change just as the City contemplates a billion dollar park (rail deck), but I digress.

I'm not opposed to the change, except that I don't think it should necessarily be applied to get a small, free-standing sliver of a park.

There should be a focus on expansion of nearby parks whereever practical. Of course, by asking the developer to deliver the land, the developer can only go willing buyer/willing seller, unlike the City who could expropriate.

That may lead to what's practical for a developer to acquire, vs what best serves the City's needs.

Definitely see where you're coming from, but my perspective on this is a little different. I was excited to see where the park space would be. To me, it's a blessing that this results in two tiny storefronts remaining un-redevelopable into a tower. With so much of Yonge's fine-grained street level experience getting erased it's nice to have a couple that almost must stay.

But also the idea of that type of small, very urban park is quite interesting to me. Having the walls around it could be cool (could be imposing, but also maybe could be cool if done well) and creating that kind of permeability in a more intimate way than a street. We don't have a lot of that in Toronto and I definitely welcome more of it downtown.

I think I'd prefer more small parks more frequently than adding the same amount of land onto existing parks where the size increase might not be as noticeable relatively speaking.

It's 1,100 units and a bunch of office space. It's actually not that much considering the size of the building. My building has 230 spaces for around 350 units.

the general standard rate for parking downtown is 1 space for every 5 units today, which is 220 spaces, plus probably around 100 spaces for the office, retail, and visitor parking.

there are also probably quite a few large luxury units on the penthouse levels which are very difficult to sell without at least 1 parking space each, if not 2.

They are building well-below the zoning requirements (not that anyone particularly minds with such a downtown location). My comment above was referring more so to how this will change O'Keefe Lane and walking experience on Gerrard approaching Yonge.

From my understanding, Cresford is collaborating with Yves Saint Laurent in furnishing certain interior components of their condos. To what degree, I'm not sure. But it's similar to the past collaborations that Casa, NXT and Clover on Yonge had with different designer brands.

A lot of history about to go.

IMG_0124.JPG
IMG_0131.JPG
IMG_0129.JPG
IMG_0128.JPG
IMG_0127.JPG
IMG_0126.JPG

Back