Toronto Concord Sky | 299m | 85s | Concord Adex | Kohn Pedersen Fox

I think on Cresford's part there are a certain number of people with a vague interest in architecture who will go 'Oh yeah, KPF, they do a lot of good stuff'. There is a tangible power that a name-brand (even if safe) architect will have on sales.

Isn't Cresford basically one guy and an executive assistant that happen to be very well connected to real estate private equity across the globe? Does Cresford even sell units in the traditional sense? Isn't this tower already sold out?

Developers don't need approval to accept deposits on signed purchase contracts .

oh... i always thought they can't start selling until they get all the approvals... is that not the case?

That's not the case. In fact, friends + family start sending letters of intention to purchase (as binding as an AP&S (Agreement of Purchase and Sale) but not as detailed; typically locks in price and a vague description of units reserved for them) long before a building even has a height or sometimes even before land assembly. I've even seen letters as vague as "purchase 10 units at $N/sqft in next building within 5km of intersection X/Y".

Used to be that on the first day of sales while the front-door had the huge line of general public waiting to get in, the backdoor had a non-stop stream of agents converting their clients letters of intent+deposit and picking up their already pre-signed AP&S. Probably electronic delivery now since few even bother to build a sales office anymore.

The AP&S starts the construction count-down clock, but even it isn't dependent on approval.

In short, units can be effectively sold before the developer even knows they'll be constructing a building.

Last edited:
That's not the case. In fact, friends + family start sending letters of intention to purchase (as binding as an AP&S (Agreement of Purchase and Sale) but not as detailed; typically locks in price and a vague description of units reserved for them) long before a building even has a height or sometimes even before land assembly. I've even seen letters as vague as "purchase 10 units at $N/sqft in next building within 5km of intersection X/Y".

Used to be that on the first day of sales while the front-door had the huge line of general public waiting to get in, the backdoor had a non-stop stream of agents converting their clients letters of intent+deposit and picking up their already pre-signed AP&S. Probably electronic delivery now since few even bother to build a sales office anymore.

The AP&S starts the construction count-down clock, but even it isn't dependent on approval.

In short, units can be effectively sold before the developer even knows they'll be constructing a building.

thank you for the illuminating response!

Which is why the general public people come into the sales centre and quickly realize all the good units are gone.

Cresford is especially good at this. They sold Vox out entirely with essentially no marketing campaign. By the time the public even knew what the building was called, it was sold out.

Cresford is especially good at this. They sold Vox out entirely with essentially no marketing campaign. By the time the public even knew what the building was called, it was sold out.

That's insane... So it just all goes to the real estate agents who are close with the top guys at cresford?

385yonge-skyline.jpg
The Art Museum at U of T is doing an exhibition/magazine called "Form follows Fiction" some time later this year and they wanted to include the Toronto Life skyline I did with Robert Koopmans and also one of my ancient renders.

I sent them the T Life image but dropped in Robert's YSL approx. in place to show the "new peak" ... low res pic here for fun

Attachments

• 385yonge-skyline.jpg
    385yonge-skyline.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 418
Last edited by a moderator:

Back