Toronto Concord Sky | 299m | 85s | Concord Adex | Kohn Pedersen Fox

Curious, why is there such a difference?
I want to know too
I haven't done any work in Vancouver on valuation, but I bet the buildable rate to acquire land is lower than Toronto, even if the end-user unit price is the same or higher. Land values might be higher here due planning policy around the growth centres; when you pack all demand in to a few smaller areas, you increase the land value. Not sure if Vancouver's planning rules are quite as containing when it comes to developable land.

The development industry often doesn't mention high land costs at their conferences.

But, I also agree with PE, our development industry here is not very creative and very conservative. Personally, I find their greed tacky, and ethical lapses (some of which you know about from recent news, but also hiring expensive lawyers and unethical appraisers to get to below-market values for taxation) to be problematic, since it shifts tax burden on to regular people. In short, they do not pay their fair share of taxes, so when they cry about taxes, just know in the background they are welfare recipients.

And now I will apologize for taking this thread off the rails, as per my MO. ;)

I wrote my response based on my conversation with the development managers and architects from the city of Vancouver.

They still have a "board of variance" to appeal any municipal decision. However, the development approach in Vancouver is more of a round-table discussion per se. The objective is for all stakeholders all agree "Yup, this development is not an eyesore to the surrounding neighbourhood context.'

Compared to Toronto...i mean it's a whole different ball game.

Normally I'd agree, but Concord is surprisingly delivering well at Canada House, so I'm gonna give them an inch here. I know Canada House is their golden child, but this is their adopted golden child, and they may treat it as their "new" signature project (wishfully thinking at least)
This could quite honestly be a stand out building aesthetically, if it didn’t get lost in the grey-blue monotonous horizon.
Begging for any vibrant, radiant, bright splash of colour in Toronto’s skyline by these unreliable building pros. They don’t f’ing notice? Lol.
Self awareness is always a good thing.

V shaped columns are common design elements in Toronto. just not to this extreme. It's a good thing as these open ground floors with exposed concrete cores and v shaped perimeter columns as it's about as anti-urban an environment as they come. One tower is cool. The fours towers of Concord Brentwood and 5 towers of Concord Metrotown are architectural boring hellscapes.

You have me on that last rendering.

Vancouver was always ahead of Toronto. It's quality is deteriorating just as fast for the middle
They are?

Vu had them but they were VE'd out. Via Bloor sort of has them, Clear Spirit sort of has them, Lillian Park sort of has them...which other res buildings have them? I'm not including things like OCAD, QRC West or Pioneer Village Station in this list: load bearing in res buildings only.

They are?

Vu had them but they were VE'd out. Via Bloor sort of has them, Clear Spirit sort of has them, Lillian Park sort of has them...which other res buildings have them? I'm not including things like OCAD, QRC West or Pioneer Village Station in this list: load bearing in res buildings only.
Eau du Soleil is the only notable one that comes to mind.

The most prominent example is at the northeast corner of Jarvis and Shuter as well.. plus I think ICE has angled columns supporting their Swiss cheese roofs and in the courtyard between the two buildings from what I remember..

I recall Minto Westside and the Great Gulf tower at the corner of Blue Jays Way and King, Perhaps Tip Top phase 2. I've seen them around. I can't say which specific developments. There are too many towers built out there.

I recall Minto Westside and the Great Gulf tower at the corner of Blue Jays Way and King, Perhaps Tip Top phase 2. I've seen them around. I can't say which specific developments. There are too many towers built out there.
Good call - yep, all three of those feature them. Wayback playback to Quay West! Oldie but a goodie (last post in that thread is April 2012...😩).

I don’t think we’ve seen actual photos of this one in a while.

Taken today.

Project is just about at grade.

IMG_1887.jpeg
IMG_1886.jpeg
IMG_1885.jpeg

photo taken November 12, 2013
I know it's been an open hole for a while, but I didn't know it was that long! ;)

- has anyone tried the congee queen across the street? 🍜👑
Havent, but want to. It's insanely busy a lot of the time. But not always in a good way. More than once, I've seen literally 15+ delivery people parked in front of it waiting for a ping, blocking both the sidewalk AND the street curb. This photo doesn't really capture the number, but the mass of people you see right of the arrow sign and left of the truck entrance sign are all wearing delivery packs and standing there with e-bikes and scooters. This place (and the corner of Yonge & Eglinton) really highlight the problems with delivery services in this city.

Taken on Saturday, October 14th @ 4:51pm.

tempImagew1EirE.png

I know it's been an open hole for a while, but I didn't know it was that long! ;)

Havent, but want to. It's insanely busy a lot of the time. But not always in a good way. More than once, I've seen literally 15+ delivery people parked in front of it waiting for a ping, blocking both the sidewalk AND the street curb. This photo doesn't really capture the number, but the mass of people you see right of the arrow sign and left of the truck entrance sign are all wearing delivery packs and standing there with e-bikes and scooters. This place (and the corner of Yonge & Eglinton) really highlight the problems with delivery services in this city.

Taken on Saturday, October 14th @ 4:51pm.

View attachment 519932
oops..thanks for pointing that out..fixed!

Back