Toronto Concord Canada House | 231.97m | 74s | Concord Adex | Arcadis

The mechanical section breaks up what would have been a relatively elegant massing. They better have some sort of lighting to emphasize that maple leaf motif because it's a hot mess at the moment.

"With towers standing at both 81 and 79 stories respectively, Concord Canada House
will feature a large illuminated Maple Leaf located on the building facade with this CCH will surely standout
amongst Canada’s greatest landmarks."

@interchange42 is exasperated by "it's vs its" ... but for me it's ... "storeys vs stories". Why can't a marketing team working in the building biz get that right?

And when did these towers grow to 81 and 79 stories storeys?
Typical Concord BS. They skip certain floors and claim their buildings are taller than they actually are. Trust me, I know, I used to live in a Concord building. Although given that they have a tendency to skip all floors ending in 4 (in addition to 13 to appease non-Chinese superstition), I'm surprised they claim only 81 storeys for the 74-storey tower - it should be 83 (minus 4,13,14,24,34,44,54,64,74th floors).

Last edited:
The mechanical section breaks up what would have been a relatively elegant massing. They better have some sort of lighting to emphasize that maple leaf motif because it's a hot mess at the moment.
The leaf motif WILL BE lit at night. The mechanical penthouses still have quite a ways to go before you see their final effect as well.

"With towers standing at both 81 and 79 stories respectively, Concord Canada House
will feature a large illuminated Maple Leaf located on the building facade with this CCH will surely standout
amongst Canada’s greatest landmarks."

@interchange42 is exasperated by "it's vs its" ... but for me it's ... "storeys vs stories". Why can't a marketing team working in the building biz get that right?

And when did these towers grow to 81 and 79 stories storeys?
There's really quite a lot of exasperation to go around…

…but yes, the spelling 'storey' and 'storeys' is something that I'd love to see more consistency in, just to help the reader with a little disambiguation (thank you Wikipedia for popularizing that word!).

@Rascacielo has it right too — claiming a certain number of storeys has little meaning when developers tend to skip any particular floor numbers they don't like. Thankfully, somehow, the architectural plans don't go straight from 12.99m to 15m, etc., but maybe the superstitious will soon make a mess of math too!

There's really quite a lot of exasperation to go around…

…but yes, the spelling 'storey' and 'storeys' is something that I'd love to see more consistency in, just to help the reader with a little disambiguation (thank you Wikipedia for popularizing that word!).

@Rascacielo has it right too — claiming a certain number of storeys has little meaning when developers tend to skip any particular floor numbers they don't like. Thankfully, somehow, the architectural plans don't go straight from 12.99m to 15m, etc., but maybe the superstitious will soon make a mess of math too!

Although I think it's silly to skip certain floors due to superstition, I don't mind the practice as long as the developer doesn't claim that their building is X storeys tall, INCLUDING the skipped floors. You know who else likes to do this? Trump (surprise!). The Trump Tower in NYC is 58 storeys tall (some even claim it only has 48 occupiable floors), but it's advertised as 68 storeys. In his case, however, it's not because of superstition, but his typical exaggeration.

Although I think it's silly to skip certain floors due to superstition, I don't mind the practice as long as the developer doesn't claim that their building is X storeys tall, INCLUDING the skipped floors. You know who else likes to do this? Trump (surprise!). The Trump Tower in NYC is 58 storeys tall (some even claim it only has 48 occupiable floors), but it's advertised as 68 storeys. In his case, however, it's not because of superstition, but his typical exaggeration.
I'm with the fire departments that want floor-skipping banned. Meanwhile, I'll say that most developers doing the skipping here aren't doing it for total floor count braggadocio, but their concern that units won't sell as well on floors with those death-linked East Asian language homophones. Some developers have told me, however, that they have no trouble selling units on the 13th or 14th or _4th floors, so…

…yeah, more power to the
calgary-firefighters-calendar-jpg.jpg

Source

I'm with the fire departments that want floor-skipping banned. Meanwhile, I'll say that most developers doing the skipping here aren't doing it for total floor count braggadocio, but their concern that units won't sell as well on floors with those death-linked East Asian language homophones. Some developers have told me, however, that they have no trouble selling units on the 13th or 14th or _4th floors, so…

…yeah, more power to the
calgary-firefighters-calendar-jpg.jpg

Source

Yes, here it's because of superstition, although who knows if it's justified ... Maybe it's the developer's own superstition rather than sales concerns that make them do it, like their building will have bad luck if they don't skip the floors.

Back