Toronto College Park Revitalization with Barbara Ann Scott Skate Trail | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | RAW Design

Has this been maintained for skating in the winter? I don't recall ever going in there that time of year.

I am happy to report that the City now has agreements in place with Canderel, and work is resuming on renewing Barbara Ann Scott Park - with a skating trail! Thank goodness this park will be back with the ability to skate in it, and really nice to have a skating trail coming to downtown Toronto.

We have a front page story on this up here.

There is no dog off-leash area if that is what you are asking: it's not a very large park.

There's already a decent sized park called Allen Garden Parks a few blocks east at Jarvis & Carlton that has off-leash dog area.

I think the concern is actually around the "in-and-out" doggie bathroom breaks. I'd agree that a dog run doesn't make much sense in such a small park, but there are thousands of dogs in the immediate neighbourhood who need an area for some quick relief that doesn't require the owner to walk all the way to Jarvis.

I think the concern is actually around the "in-and-out" doggie bathroom breaks. I'd agree that a dog run doesn't make much sense in such a small park, but there are thousands of dogs in the immediate neighbourhood who need an area for some quick relief that doesn't require the owner to walk all the way to Jarvis.

If walking over to Jarvis is a bit too much of a pain,... then perhaps dog ownership should be reconsidered,... or use the quad at Ryerson.

These in-and-out trip are just as bad,... urine contains ammonia,... multiply that by a thousand dogs using this little park as a toilet,... and it's a bad situation, the grass will be ruined buy chemical burn marks and the entire park will reek,... oh, and remember this park is being rebuilt over a parking garage,... If they allow dogs, I'm wondering how often they'll have to constantly replace the grass sod before they rebuild the park again,.... How many condo building have constantly replaced their grass sods because they're constantly ruined by dog urine.

Then consider all the little kids in the neighbourhood,... more little kids than dogs,... and folks don't want kids playing in dog urine and poo !!! There are responsible dog owners out there,.. but the irresponsible dog owners ruin it for everyone.

Look around at all the public space created in high density urban areas and quite often you'll find them covered in dog poo. Have you ever been to the CityPlace, there's lots of public spaces at CityPlace including a trail along the north side of CityPlace just south of the railway corridor,... both sides of this trail is covered with dog poo,.. always! There's nice sitting areas there but nobody sits there because there's dog poo all over the place,...

And people wonder why so many condo boards regulate dog-pet ownership.

I agree that the Bay/Yonge and College area is too dense for even "responsible" dog ownership to result in College Park becoming anything else than an open air toilet. Hopefully common sense will prevail.

I agree that the Bay/Yonge and College area is too dense for even "responsible" dog ownership to result in College Park becoming anything else than an open air toilet. Hopefully common sense will prevail.

One of the best feature of this redesigned park are the circular walking trail and circular ice skating trail in winter. Unfortunately, a circular walking trail is a dog walker's dream,... since they can just walk round and round in the same place until their dog do their business,... sure, when there's others around they're more likely to pick up but when there's less people around,....

Anyways, with the current circular design,... this park will have a circular ring of walking trail and a circular ring of ice skating trail in winter,.... but also a couple of circular rings of dog poo and urine,... also imagine them shoveling the snow off the walking trail and ice skating trail,... in the spring when that snow melts,... guess what it'll be full of,... ewww!

Back