Toronto College Park Revitalization with Barbara Ann Scott Skate Trail | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | RAW Design

Most established trees can deal urine w/o issue. Smaller trees w/less developed root systems will get into trouble. Even 1-year of root growth diminishes the risk of mortality substantially.

As such you don't necessarily need to cage landscapes areas off indefinitely, but temporary, if sturdy fences can be useful.

There are also non-fence barriers that can be used. These could include smells that would offend a dog and discourage it from being in proximity to said plants; you don't need high concentrations given dogs relatively better sense of smell.

Even little fences around the base of each tree would do. Just need to keep the urine out of the critical root zone. I doubt you need to fence out to the boundary of the drip zone.

I cant imagine living downtown with a dog. My little lady dog is trained to pee on grass and here with a backyard and parks galore this is a non issue. I can only try and understand the problem small park areas like this downtown must have with so many more dogs in addition to smaller park areas.

Regardless of the differences in our conditions I dont think I "let my dog pee anywhere". You can train a dog all you want but when they need to pee they pee. I have trained her to pee on grass and when in downtown environments where grass is scarce she pees on any grass surface...

It's too bad you can't train a dog to use a human toilet. My kitty has been using mine for about 3 months now and it's awesome.

It's too bad you can't train a dog to use a human toilet. My kitty has been using mine for about 3 months now and it's awesome.
I am playing around with the idea of getting those cheap artificial grass balcony tiles from Ikea and using that as a winter refuge for my dog as she gets older. Apparently they can be easily rinsed off and good to go.

I live in Midtown so there is plenty of grass around, but if I were downtown I would be thinking of that as a year-round solution.

I am playing around with the idea of getting those cheap artificial grass balcony tiles from Ikea and using that as a winter refuge for my dog as she gets older. Apparently they can be easily rinsed off and good to go.

I live in Midtown so there is plenty of grass around, but if I were downtown I would be thinking of that as a year-round solution.
How and where are you going to rinse them off? If I live under you...

Why not put a cap on dog licenses, or restrict the number of animals per building. Sort of like parking permits. There is only so much dog piss and shit that any neighbourhood can handle. If it doesnt have dog parks and enough green space then it should be more difficult to get a dog permit. It seems that with a few hundred thousand dogs it is a bit overdue for some sort of dog management strategy.

Why not put a cap on dog licenses, or restrict the number of animals per building. Sort of like parking permits. There is only so much dog piss and shit that any neighbourhood can handle. If it doesnt have dog parks and enough green space then it should be more difficult to get a dog permit. It seems that with a few hundred thousand dogs it is a bit overdue for some sort of dog management strategy.
With this type of thinking maybe we should also consider putting a cap on children. Strollers really over crowd our narrow sidewalks.

If we are going to restrict the number of licenses for anything in this city - it should be for cars, not dogs. At issue isn't the number of animals - but a certain subset of irresponsible owners. The solution is to take enforcement seriously.

With this type of thinking maybe we should also consider putting a cap on children. Strollers really over crowd our narrow sidewalks.

Yeah, especially those SUV-sized and/or stretch strollers.

AoD

Funny enough, when a development goes in an area that has no capacity in the local school a sign gets posted informing potential buyers that there is no space and their children will be bussed to another school district. Also, many parents actually choose a neighbourhood with existing schools to raise their children whereas it seems a lot of new dog owners give little thought to where they live and where they may walk their dogs. I
If we are going to restrict the number of licenses for anything in this city - it should be for cars, not dogs. At issue isn't the number of animals - but a certain subset of irresponsible owners. The solution is to take enforcement seriously.

Yeah, especially those SUV-sized and/or stretch strollers.

AoD
If you move downtown you need to for the most part buy a parking space if you would like to own a car or apply for a street permit of which their is a limited supply. The traffic congestion is not necessarily all attributed to vehicle owned by Toronto residents. A lot of the traffic is from shipping and delivery, tourists and workers commuting from other municipalities.

Funny enough, when a development goes in an area that has no capacity in the local school a sign gets posted informing potential buyers that there is no space and their children will be bussed to another school district. Also, many parents actually choose a neighbourhood with existing schools to raise their children whereas it seems a lot of new dog owners give little thought to where they live and where they may walk their dogs.

Are you seriously comparing school spaces to places for dogs to walk and poo (the supply of which, while not infinite, is not exactly limited either?)

If you move downtown you need to for the most part buy a parking space if you would like to own a car or apply for a street permit of which their is a limited supply. The traffic congestion is not necessarily all attributed to vehicle owned by Toronto residents. A lot of the traffic is from shipping and delivery, tourists and workers commuting from other municipalities.

Please call me when dog congestion is of comparable severity and importance to congestion.

AoD

Slightly off topic but is anyone else surprised at how many folks living in condos / apartments have dogs? I've always felt it was a little cruel raising a dog or in some cases dogs in an apartment compared to letting them roam free in your backyard, etc. Of course people are allowed to do what they want but I just find it strange.

Slightly off topic but is anyone else surprised at how many folks living in condos / apartments have dogs? I've always felt it was a little cruel raising a dog or in some cases dogs in an apartment compared to letting them roam free in your backyard, etc. Of course people are allowed to do what they want but I just find it strange.
I live at Queen and Dufferin, where there has been major condo development. The condos are tiny and the amount of large dogs is staggering. There is very little space for them and there is no land left to build a dog park. A lot of people walk their dogs along a greenspace on sudbury street, but it is a right of way for a bike path and will soon
Are you seriously comparing school spaces to places for dogs to walk and poo (the supply of which, while not infinite, is not exactly limited either?)

Please call me when dog congestion is of comparable severity and importance to congestion.

AoD

This spring there was dog shit and piss everywhere. People leave their pets at home all day and when they bring them out they let it go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you heard of a dog park? These parks are throughout the city, where dogs can roam free. Not only are 99% of them larger than an isolating private backyard, but dogs are able to play with other dogs - becoming more social. Owners get some exercise walking to the park and also have the opportunity to become more social themselves with other dog owners. Dog parks are arguably healthier than dogs locked up alone in backyards (while their owners watch TV in their basement to drown out their dog's barking).

Back