Toronto College Park Revitalization with Barbara Ann Scott Skate Trail | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | RAW Design

Too much concrete. They could have used more colourful paving like this:

Hoekenrode_Square-Karres_en_Brands-03.jpg

Hoekenrode_Square-Karres_en_Brands-06.jpg
Please edit your post to include what the photo sources are, or it will get pulled down.

(It would be good to mention, as well, that it's Rotterdam we're looking at too.)

It's not just that it looks so grey but also there are no distinctive features in this park, no focal point and no gathering area. I don't see any reason to advise someone to check out this park. Even the seating is done in a very anti-social way with no large groupings where people can connect with other people. This is not just a small, local park. This park is in a high density, central location and it should be a major destination, with some kind of wow feature! It needs a great fountain or a design feature that will make it a must-see attraction and be a space people want to be in. Of course, the city needs some parks that are just ordinary grass/trees parks but we already have hundreds of parks like that and so few really beautiful public spaces. Are there any exceptional parks in Toronto that would make a to 10 list or even a top 50 list of the world's most beautiful parks? It seems to me that our politicians are happy with 3rd rate public spaces, which explains Dundas Square! This park doesn't even come close to my expectations for a prominent, downtown park!

Hey all! I've been looking down on this park for over a year now and am also really eager to see it open.

They took down most the black tarps covering the benches etc because they had a professional photographer walk around for a few hours that day. I actually just found this forum because I was trying to find if they put up the photo's somewhere with maybe an opening announcement or something. Didn't find them anywhere.

By now you must have seen the sign near Sobeys with the official name: College Park - Barbara Ann Scott Ice Trail.

I've been mailing with a Project Manager from City of Toronto every few months and beginning of this month he told me the developer was planning for a spring opening.

Looking at the state of the park I think it's close, but I'm no expert. Today they seem to be installing tactical paving at the stairs into the park.

See you in the park!

It's not just that it looks so grey but also there are no distinctive features in this park, no focal point

So the skating rink isn't distinctive or a focal point?

Oi, the histrionics of these posts. Calm down folks. It's true: the design doesn't match up to Central Park, but it's early spring, the plants are tiny babies, and it'll be plenty green in five years. Even in two weeks when the trees bloom and y'all take a Xanax, the place will look great.

Is this thing ever going to open? I'm tired of going in circles to get home because of the stupid fences everywhere.

It isn't a European exclusive thing. Latin America and East Asia can do it with ease too.

This is more of a North American incompetency.

There are loads of examples of wonderful urban parks in many cities in North America, including this one.

Agreed that public squares are a somewhat different story.

Please edit your post to include what the photo sources are, or it will get pulled down.

(It would be good to mention, as well, that it's Rotterdam we're looking at too.)

Sorry. I have included the link. It's actually in Amsterdam by Bijlmer Arena station.

Too much concrete. They could have used more colourful paving like this:

Hoekenrode_Square-Karres_en_Brands-03.jpg

Hoekenrode_Square-Karres_en_Brands-06.jpg

There's not a concrete sidewalk on the planet that looks nice. Any use of concrete is destined to look low brow yet people continue to use it expecting a good result. If Toronto is serious about tackling its shabby public realm it needs to stop using it. It would also be nice if the City stopped destroying the good paving that we do have. If you rip out a pavement, put it back the way you found it.

Do we have to start billing City employees who sign off on filling holes with asphalt? Maybe we do. You can bet your bottom dollar if someone ripped up their lawn and filled it with asphalt they'd go bloody berserk.

Yep, they’re opening the park! Except for the playground, which now has a fence around it.

Attachments

• 76BF6EE6-0ED1-425B-8D92-5DD641C58BEA.png
    76BF6EE6-0ED1-425B-8D92-5DD641C58BEA.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 416
Yep, they’re opening the park! Except for the playground, which now has a fence around it.

That made me laugh. Perhaps once the playground fence is removed they can add one to the park.

Last edited:

Back