Toronto Cloverdale Mall Redevelopment | 156.9m | 48s | QuadReal | Giannone Petricone

Oct 11th
DJI_0101ce.jpg

Any dates on when they might start demolishing the mall?

I think any subway extension talk is very very far out. Unless the City of Mississauga pushes it. Looking at a potential connection to Mississauga it doesn't really make sense as the queensway west corridor is just low density housing and industrial buildings. There's a huge stretch between sherway/west mall and dixie with absolutely nothing. In my opinion it makes sense to run the subway along dundas.
I would actually like to see an elevated LRT going west on Dundas.

Any dates on when they might start demolishing the mall?

I think any subway extension talk is very very far out. Unless the City of Mississauga pushes it. Looking at a potential connection to Mississauga it doesn't really make sense as the queensway west corridor is just low density housing and industrial buildings. There's a huge stretch between sherway/west mall and dixie with absolutely nothing. In my opinion it makes sense to run the subway along dundas.
I would actually like to see an elevated LRT going west on Dundas.
Couldn't they build first on one of the little used parking lots? Then sections of empty stores in the mall? Et cetera.

Couldn't they build first on one of the little used parking lots? Then sections of empty stores in the mall? Et cetera.
The best way is to start with the north area including the old Target and then move south. Need to find an area to build a new Metro first before tearing that section.

Then you can start with the Winner area first.

It will be a few years before the mall starts to shut down as you need time to sell condos to justify closing the mall unless you move to 100% rental.

QuadReal is working with designer Giannone Petricone Associates, landscape architect Janet Rosenberg and Studio and planner Urban Strategies on the Cloverdale Mall master plan in Etobicoke in west Toronto, located adjacent to two major highways.

The plan calls for 4,000 residential units across multiple towers, 32,000 square metres of parks and open spaces, 26,000 square metres of retail space and a new community hub.

Pedestrian-friendly streets and programmable spaces will enhance the sense of community and the cultural fabric of the site, the developer says.

The housing will feature a range of homes, with blocks near existing neighbouring homes tapering to ensure a mesh and a mix of market rental, affordable rental, condominiums and multi-generational housing foreseen.

“With respect to centres like Cloverdale, you also have to reimagine what retail means,” said Wu. “The anchors are no longer the HBCs of the world…We view the anchors of Cloverdale as our five-acre park, or significant community spaces. We’re going to have a roller rink/ice rink. So those are the community anchors that really will draw and create that sense of community experience.”

Well this is exciting: Janet Rosenberg and Studio

If Oxford is too cheap to want to work with them for the Canada Square plans, it's good to see that QuadReal is interested!

Well this is exciting: Janet Rosenberg and Studio

If Oxford is too cheap to want to work with them for the Canada Square plans, it's good to see that QuadReal is interested!

The real cost to Rosenberg is not her fees, it's fixing her stuff after......LOL

To be clear, she actually cares a great deal about executing well in terms of quality material, properly laid/planted.

The problem is her designs; they almost always follow a rule of being completely unintelligible to average people and in parks that tends to result in under-utilization of spaces.

She has 2 parks in the Problematic Park Design thread with less than favourable reviews!

She made her name, so far as I'm concerned designing rich people's backyards as outdoor art galleries.

The problem is most people don't want that for a park; and even those who do..........I don't think she understands intuitively how people use public space.

To be fair, I think in spaces where 'art gallery' type landscape design really is the goal she can do a wonderful job; it's just when that aesthetic is applied wrongly to spaces that call for something else that things go awry.

I do quite like what she did w/the Rock Garden at RBG;

Last edited:
The real cost to Rosenberg is not her fees, it's fixing her stuff after......LOL

To be clear, she actually cares a great deal about executing well in terms of quality material, properly laid/planted.

The problem is her designs; they almost always follow a rule of being completely unintelligible to average people and in parks that tends to result in under-utilization of spaces.

She has 2 parks in the Problematic Park Design thread with less than favourable reviews!

She made her name, so far I'm concerned designing rich people's backyards as outdoor art galleries.

The problem is most people don't want that for a park; and even those who do..........I don't think she understands intuitively how people use public space.

To be fair, I think in spaces where 'art gallery' type landscape design really is the goal she can do a wonderful job; it's just when that aesthetic is applied wrongly to spaces that call for something else that things go awry.

I do quite like what she did w/the Rock Garden at RBG;

Very interesting take on it, well im keeping my fingers cross that we get a coherent park design here. Cloverdale is a very popular location for socializing and gathering, and it would be a damn shame if the park/plaza design screws that up.

That's brand new! It wasn't there last Sunday, May 14th:
1684799372371.jpeg

YUP YUP...Sales centre. Hopefully the Urban Toronto group likes it.
Get ready ;p Things are coming down the pipeline!!
I can't say much more unfortunately, other than soon.

Guess I'll be making weekly trips to the area again. The bird is all charged up and ready to go!!!!

I just wish 300 The East mall was resuming. It was a real bummer when they pulled the shoring rig last June. So many projects are being axed right now :(

Guess I'll be making weekly trips to the area again. The bird is all charged up and ready to go!!!!

I just wish 300 The East mall was resuming. It was a real bummer when they pulled the shoring rig last June. So many projects are being axed right now :(
Anything that was to have a high percentage of affordable got done in by higher interest rates. Without some way of making that work (the feds have not done anything to make affordable work with the new conditions), this projects are on indefinite hold.

Back