Toronto Clear Spirit | 131.36m | 40s | Cityscape | a—A

This historic district is the furthest thing from a blank slate in the whole city. That is why these out of scale condo towers (which could be built anywhere...and in fact are) are such a crime. And the three of them, followed no doubt by many others on the surrounding lands, will overwhelm whatever charm and uniqueness the area once had.

A crime? They went through due process, surely?

I don't see why "many others on the surrounding lands" should be developed identically since, for the most part, the surrounding lands are an empty wasteland without fine Victorian industrial structures to incorporate with new buildings.

They both have totally different starting points.

I totally agree that there are two different starting points. And thus I expect even more tall towers.

That would be great if true (let's see what eventually gets built before celebrating though. I am sure developers will start arguing for 'more density' in less time than one can say "more money").

Lots of work this week on the podium and the walkway to the south. Prow is almost finished and brickwork on the south side should be finished next week. Lots of trees going in and bricks for the walkway. Looking good.

I don't see why "many others on the surrounding lands" should be developed identically since, for the most part, the surrounding lands are an empty wasteland without fine Victorian industrial structures to incorporate with new buildings.

They both have totally different starting points.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The plans for the West Don Lands, which have been discussed here in quite some depth over the years, call for few towers.

I don't mind towers in the proper context.

It seems quite odd that they have just a few towers planned for the entire West Donlands, yet are dropping 3 into the Distillery alone. You'd think the towers would be integrated into the new neighborhood being developed (a real "blank slate" with a need for "signposts") and put buildings in and around the Distillery that are in keeping with its established character.

An unflattering view, pic. by from the B-A Centre thread, posted by CASAGUY:

* * * * * * * * * * * *​

DSCN2537.jpg

It isn't in the slightest bit odd that the West Donlands aren't being developed on the basis of a tall/short, new/old, glass/brick design-opposite contrast, since there are no short, old, brick Victorian industrial buildings there to form the basis for such an approach.

2522938642_7de4941249_b.jpg

Something with the massing of the building to the left and the glass cladding of the tower would have worked nicely. But as it is, this photo nicely demonstrates the lack of vision, thought, and planning going into this development.

^ Ha ha.

Give it 150 years, when everybody's moved out of the core again, and the condos get reclaimed for industrial purposes and a distillery moves in.

2522938642_7de4941249_b.jpg

Something with the massing of the building to the left and the glass cladding of the tower would have worked nicely. But as it is, this photo nicely demonstrates the lack of vision, thought, and planning going into this development.

Amazing! It really is all in the eye of the beholder, isn't it?! I look at the same picture and reach the exact opposite conclusion. I love the contrast. I love the sense of layers, and variances in height. I love the differing materials. It feels like an area that has existed forever, organically evolving over time (okay, 'organically' is pushing it, but you know what I mean).

...At the end of the day though i have to respect everybody's opinion on this because the beholding eyes are just so different. Still, i'd much rather these reactions than indifference.

Nekz.... 222 was locked, so i couldnt get a pic for you

baxter..... this is a shot from #530 (facing south), its close to the middle of the base

6.jpg

shot from the roof....

7.jpg

a shot from one of the south facing balconies, i think around the 14th floor

8.jpg

Back