Toronto Clear Spirit | 131.36m | 40s | Cityscape | a—A

Within the context of a city seeking to revitalize a former industrial site that fell into disuse, tall buildings are a perfectly acceptable way of creating "somewhere" out of "nowhere" ... surely?

But it isn't "nowhere". It's an area with an established built form and history. No one expects it to be a distillery again, but as a remnant of Toronto's history it deserves some respectful development. It's more than just a disused industrial site.

The sad part is that Rackhouse M is one of the largest buildings on site; it could no doubt be restored (on the exterior anyways) and made into a nice collection of residences that would fit in perfectly.

... though, as a group of buildings with no present use and only a past one a few years ago it was "nowhere" - until Cityscape began making it "somewhere" again.

The nowhere was always the land around the distillery (land currently being addressed by the West Don Lands plan), and the rack house is hardly a blight. Why replace it with a 'respectful' podium when the original is sitting right there? This leaves the tower, built solely for the sake of juxtaposition and developers' gain.

Lots of debate on this project!

Here's a photo update taken today...

sp15.jpg

sp14.jpg

sp13.jpg

sp12.jpg

sp11.jpg

sp10.jpg

sp9.jpg

sp8.jpg

sp7.jpg

sp6.jpg

sp5.jpg

sp4.jpg

sp3.jpg

sp2.jpg

sp1.jpg

Nice pix: We should be thankful it's an Aa building; imagine a tridel clunker here:(

I suppose it's Toronto's version of the Woodward's towers. The height is still absurd but it's a looker and since I hate Stratford-style tourists, I rarely have a reason to go in that area of town.

A pity Cityplace wasn't built with chic minimalistic towers like that one.

Anyone want a job? Plumbers in huge demand right now I believe Clear Spirit needs a few--$100k/year including OT:)

Interesting analysis.

My own grounds for disliking it isn't the fact that the towers are 9x higher than the heritage district, but are 5x higher than the *new* low-midrise neighborhood the city wants to build here and in the West Donlands. It seems teriffically inconsistent to have these sticking up out of nowhere.

My grounds for liking it is that I like tall pointy objects. (Thus I'm on this forum.)

LOL. I like your analysis. Though like US, I wouldn't call it "nowhere" but I agree, why do the towers stick out here compared to what's planned for the east and west.

And I like tall pointy objects too, especially well-designed tall pointy objects. Depite my "preservationist" leanings on this debate, I have to admit Clear Spirit is certainly a well-designed tall pointy object. I also agree that tacky faux architecture would be an even worse solution than a tall pointy moderninst object.

Suggestion:

Why don't we have a UT Forum meet on site and discuss the buildings as we walk around them? Visit the sales office and look at the model and meet someone from Cityscape's offices if they're available too?

If we could summon Clewes or the developer to account for themselves at the same time it would be useful.

We're not chopped liver ... we're UT. Hear us roar!

I dunno - if we get the wrong architect or something, it could be like the Particicution scene in The Handmaid's Tale. (grin)

Actually, the idea, though - of having meets, talks and such...I like. Now I know the group's been meeting in pubs'n'such for awhile, but what about actually hosting a discussion night with architects, planners, etc. Public events.
Have we done this in the past and now I'm foggy, or is this new and novel?

Not so far, but I think we're ( self ) important enough to summon people to appear before an inquisition of our own design and explain themselves.

I talked up the concept a bit when some of us were having lunch at that noisy C5 restaurant recently.

Now that Ed has his headquarters for world domination almost ready to open we have somewhere to hold our gabfest, too.

Or perhaps we take our show on the road and descend on a few architects offices ( by prior appointment ) and hear what they have to say about the various projects they're doing that we've torn to shreds online.

Ever ahead of the curve, the UT's gay group has already given tours of several of our own workplaces.

I am a bit confused, then again it is the end of the day here for me... but is there a call for a meeting at the site to discuss all these issues?

If so I would like to take part, I know I am new here but I would love to interact with others whom have interest in the site.

Having just come from the site I have to say what is starting to worry me is the shadows the building has cast on the south side... maybe its just me I dont know. Anyhow have a good weekend everyone.

Yes, the call has gone forth for a gathering of the clans. We'll converge from the highlands and from the lowlands wearing our UT tartan trews and carrying our broadswords and steaming plates of haggis to the skirl of the pipes.

Even Mongo, with his avatar of the ancient Neolithic Hebrides stones, will stop trying to snare small rodents in the heather and paddle to the shores of Muddy York across the chilly northern waters.

Back