Toronto Clear Spirit | 131.36m | 40s | Cityscape | a—A

I like the modern architecture, the condos look very nice. They are just too overbearing, and I think in two or three decades, more people could see the Clear Spirit and Pure Spirit as a mistake

I would agree with these sentiments. Considering how the Donlands have yet to be developed, there is always the chance that the tallest towers in the area may be the ones right up next to the Distillery District - an area identified as being valuable because of its stock of buildings. these towers could look out of context and do exactly what SeanTrans has suggested: give the impression of looking like a planning error.

I admit that I have no real idea how the area will turn out - and it may turn out just fine. But I am wondering at this point whether these projects (and the glass garage thing) are really appropriate in the long run.

So what if it's not a recreation? As soon as you load it up with art galleries, restaurants, gift shops and theatres, it's a theme park. Or a glorified, rusticated mall. It's Squidport, and that's fine.

What exactly is supposed to be done with it then? I don't see how the presence of art galleries, restaurants, etc. has turned it into a theme park. The buildings are simply being put to use.

If the place had been restored with public money as the Canadian National Museum of This-Is-How-We-Make-Booze, then I would understand better the 'hands off' restrictions that you want to place on it.

I think there's more to it's historical significance than the purpose the buildings were originally used for. What about the architecture, the integrity of the complex? Creative re-use is one thing, dropping huge condos and tearing down parts of it is something else entirely.

When it first opened, the Distillery District had a hard time attracting the public to it. The shops were really struggling, and developers Cityscape (the only ones who were willing to pour the money into it to save it) were taking a bath on it. The condo plans were hatched as a way to keep the place a going concern: local residents could be counted on to patronize at least some commercial offerings down there. I don't blame a privately held company for trying to maximize its profit on its site subsequently, especially after all the expense they went to to resurrect it, and I am thankful that they went to the trouble to hire aA, one of our best architectural firms, to insert the glass in amongst the brick.

I have a hard time seeing this as a valiant developer going the distance to try and save the district. Instead what I see is a developer with a very well thought out plan to establish a desirable new district with the pretense of preservation, then drop as many housing units as possible, however possible to make as much money as possible. How does this make them any different from any other developer?

As I said before, I'm glad they helped restore the district. But any credit they've earned is gone with these projects, that include tearing down one of the buildings. How long before some more of them are removed for residential?

Without more complete renderings - a fly-by would be great - or a model that we can look at, we really don't know what is coming down exactly, or what bricks are going back up connected to what...

Personally, I really don't care they'll be re-using the bricks. That would be a nice touch if they were, say, using them for a Distillery project from a building that collapsed on it's own. In this case they're tearing buildings down and then trying to convince everyone it's not really going anywhere because they'll be re-using the bricks.

As far as I'm concerned, that just isn't good enough.

...but because Cityscape has done a pretty good job so far, and because it's an aA project that's to rise into the sky, I'm willing to give them both the benefit of the doubt. Cityscape will continue to own and run the Distillery, and they'll want something that maximizes public interest in the place for years to come, and aA will want to further enhance their reputation for creating residential complexes of the highest architectural quality.

I'm not worried.

A good job so far...but that doesn't mean any plans they submit should be acceptable. I don't see how these condos are going to maximize interest either. Who's going to visit because of them? More people will live there, which should naturally generate interest from the new residential population, but then they don't have to tear down buildings and construct mammoth 40+ storey towers in the middle of the district to do that.

If the place had been restored with public money as the Canadian National Museum of This-Is-How-We-Make-Booze, then I would understand better the 'hands off' restrictions that you want to place on it.

I was actually on the board of the CNMTIHWMB back when they were scouting locations. The Distillery had its appeal, but consensus was that a putting working booze museum so close to Segway rides was a recipe for disaster.

After a brief dalliance with moving into the Roundhouse (ended poorly), we changed our name to the Canadian National Museum of This Is How We Get Booze and pitched a tent in the coner of the Beer Store on Dupont. 10-7 M-F, 11-5 Weekends. Admission is pay what you can. We take empties.

Isn't this how Steamwhistle works? There's plenty of other places where you can watch beer being brewed - Robert Simpson in Barrie is a great example. Niagara has all sorts of winery tours. We're just missing a hard liquor example in these parts.

What exactly is supposed to be done with it then? I don't see how the presence of art galleries, restaurants, etc. has turned it into a theme park. The buildings are simply being put to use.

Point being it is no longer a distillery. It's a collection of commercial enterprises that are trading on the nostalgic Victorian Industrial setting, while having nothing to do with anything Victorian or historical themselves. And that's fine, I like it too.

I think there's more to it's historical significance than the purpose the buildings were originally used for. What about the architecture, the integrity of the complex? Creative re-use is one thing, dropping huge condos and tearing down parts of it is something else entirely.

Huge condos may go up right across Mill Street on land Cityscape does not own, and will go up across Cherry Street as well. The district will be reintegrated into normal everyday city blocks as the years go by. I don't see these buildings as being terribly different from that. I don't see any of that as a problem.

I have a hard time seeing this as a valiant developer going the distance to try and save the district. Instead what I see is a developer with a very well thought out plan to establish a desirable new district with the pretense of preservation, then drop as many housing units as possible, however possible to make as much money as possible. How does this make them any different from any other developer?

I can't fault a developer for trying to build whatever they are allowed. If they are building too much, it's the City's or the OMB's fault. From my point of view though, if they were only allowed to build half of this density, and two 20-something floor towers resulted, I don't think there wouldn't be any significant difference at ground level to the district. 20 or 40 stories overhead are going to feel pretty similar. Clean lines and a glass facade will reduce the impact substantially.

As I said before, I'm glad they helped restore the district. But any credit they've earned is gone with these projects, that include tearing down one of the buildings. How long before some more of them are removed for residential?

I think that's it - they'll be built out at the end of the Clear Spirit phases.

Personally, I really don't care they'll be re-using the bricks. That would be a nice touch if they were, say, using them for a Distillery project from a building that collapsed on it's own. In this case they're tearing buildings down and then trying to convince everyone it's not really going anywhere because they'll be re-using the bricks.

As far as I'm concerned, that just isn't good enough.

All the walkways through the district use reused bricks, and they look great...

...and we still don't know how they are planning on reassembling them this time.

A good job so far...but that doesn't mean any plans they submit should be acceptable. I don't see how these condos are going to maximize interest either. Who's going to visit because of them? More people will live there, which should naturally generate interest from the new residential population, but then they don't have to tear down buildings and construct mammoth 40+ storey towers in the middle of the district to do that.

They have gone through all the appropriate channels to get this project approved, and the locals living on the north side of Mill did not object to the size of the towers.

In terms of maximizing interest, I'm not saying that the condos specifically are going to bring a flood of people to the district (other than new residents), but that these new buildings do have to be sensitively inserted into the historic fabric so as to enhance the public's appreciation for and use of the space, all in the name of further profit for Cityscape.

As Cityscape has done a good job up to this point, and because I have a fondness for aA architecture, I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Finally, as I have stated in the Renaissance ROM thread, I like the meeting of the old and the new in that complex: I think the one aspect compliments the other, and I appreciate the old more now that when it was all old. I am expecting a similar effect here.

In terms of maximizing interest, I'm not saying that the condos specifically are going to bring a flood of people to the district (other than new residents), but that these new buildings do have to be sensitively inserted into the historic fabric so as to enhance the public's appreciation for and use of the space, all in the name of further profit for Cityscape.

Additional retail/art space in the new condos will bring additional people to the area.

Green glass cladding starting to go up on Pure Spirit.

Onwards, Upwards

The Pure Spirit tower continues to rise. My previously blue-sky window view looking east over 250 The Esplanade now looks like this... time to buy better curtains.

pureSpirit.jpg

Sorry if this question has already been addressed, but I am wondering if there are other towers scheduled to be built on this site? Or is it just the one?

Sorry. I guess I meant this particular development. Is there only one tower planned? Or two, three?

I'm new to these forums and I don't know all of the terminology, so you'll have to be patient with me. :eek:

There's three towers planned for the site as bounded by Parliament, Mill, Cherry and the railway tracks. Pure Spirit is under construction at Parliament and Mill. Clear Spirit is comprised of two towers both in the southeast corner of the site (Cherry and the railway tracks). One older tower can be found directly south of Pure Spirit and there's a couple of existing towers on the north side of Mill Street outside the main distillery site.

Thanks a lot!

and by the way - what exactly is the definition of 'site'? are there different designations for different stages of development?

Ugh, is it any wonder we're having a hard time attracting tourists?

We're always up to butchering up any historical sites that we may have. Toronto should take a lesson from Montreal and it's historic district.

Back