Toronto Clear Spirit | 131.36m | 40s | Cityscape | a—A

I think we all agree that this thing isn't exactly as shown on the box, but the angle does exist.

You don't need a tape measure and a ladder to confirm that, just a trained pair of eyes.

( Miaaaaoooo! )

My eyes are very well trained and after inspecting the spot lights on the underside of the balconies this morning, I am in total agreement with Urban Shocker about how the balconies angle out. I wouldn't have noticed it if it hadn't been pointed out. I suppose I must now go and stand under every building Peter Clewes has ever had a hand in and determine if this type of unorthodox balcony treatment is a common element.

We need to stop and question the merits of an architectural florish that requires several days of debate to determine whether or not it even exists. Can it really be counted as adding to the design? Would it be fair to call this "Magic Eye" architecture if the hidden message can only be seen after staring at and studying it for long enough? Is a pippypoo not a pippypoo if it requires a trained, skilled, and experienced eye to note its existence? Is the value of a design inversely porportional to how evident it is?

Great. I was just eating a Fran's yesterday and walked from there to the market and didn't see this whole discussion until today. Now I have to find another reason to walk over there.

CDL.: It's the effect of the slight tweak that counts. I think it works on a subliminal level, like the Parthenon tweaks I referred to earlier. It contributes to the "message" of the building as seen from the street, a hidden technique that is part of the design rather than an ostentatious more-is-more pippypoo add-on visible "flourish" that seeks to "add to" it. Debating the actual existence of the tweak is an interesting aside for our forum, but the appreciation of the building doesn't depend on ascertaining that the tweak exists.

The tweak is a good example of technique being subservient to effect, of what is subtly being said being more important than how it is said.

There are two other ways of confirming the tweak - i.e. that the balconies widen ( extend out further ) as they go around the building:

* Three modular glass panels ( extending out from the building ) cap off the nothern end of the balcony, whereas only two panels cap off the western end.

* Stand on the east side of Church, somewhat south of Spire: the tops of the balcony railings appear to "angle" up - compared to the windows behind them or to the undersides of the balconies on the floor above - as your eye moves from west to east.

(I do not think Cassius disagrees with those of us who are saying that there are only two widths for the balconies: one for the south and one for the east sides)
Actually, I was agreeing with Urban Shocker, err, I mean Mummy.

One of the things I was waiting for while Spire was under construction was the first balcony to appear. The floor plans made the differences in depth appear fairly dramatic so I was curious to see how it would turn out. Once the first balcony was in place it did taper to the one end but nowhere near as noticeably as it was shown in the floor plans.

Here's a pic I took of it some time back. The effect can be seen best on the balcony just above the telephone banner.
IMG_1977.jpg

But to stray back on topic for a moment, hopefully the end result of Clear Spirit's varying balconies will be as noticeable as the renderings and elevations come construction time. I have no proof (just a sneaking suspicion) but I think that aA was requested to tone down the balconies on Spire.

I agree. I was expecting it to be more vertiginous. I'd guess that there's no more than a 18 inch difference from one end to the other. But I think the eye takes it in and it has a subtle effect.

The way in which the balcony-edge railings appear to "angle up" - beyond what one would expect with normal perspective - is quite clear in that photo. The balcony edges don't run anywhere near to parallel with the "starting point" where the balconies above them emerge from the building.

Somewhat related, the CBC headquarters takes a sledgehammer to our senses with those cubes and cylinders emerging from the main body of the building at strong angles. Even the 5 degree incline of the Crystal floor - angling up from Bloor Street to join the higher level of the original ROM interior - is more noticeable to the senses. The Four Seasons Centre also has a subtle incline, from the Queen sidewalk into the City Room.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Clear-Spirit-shimmy effect. Perhaps each of the towers should've looked like a different bottle of booze?

It is my understanding that over 170 units have been sold.

Mike, do you mean Pure Spirit, or Clear Spirit?

Me personally, I'd separate this into two threads, so as to avoid this kind of confusion.

Thanks Mike.

As it is likely buried somewhere waaaaay back in this thread (I got sick of searching), if you know, could you please also expand on it this way:

Which of the two Clear Spirit towers is selling at the moment? How many suites does it have in total? Will the first phase also include the low rise component along the south side of the site?

I'm a bit confused myself with the info I have... it suggests 274 units, although I think that only a portion of the building has been released (first 30 floors above the 5 floor podium).

The podium contains rooftop amenities, and what are being branded as European Courtyard Suites. The development info also suggests that each unit will feature a different balcony layout due to the shape of the building.

The next phase and podium structure will be on the southern half of the site adjacent to the railway - so this 2nd phase of the 3 phase project is north of the final phase. I'm not to familiar with the Distillery District so I can't really envision where exactly this tower is.

I was looking around on the weekend when I took the photos above. I think phase two will be located in the middle of the Distillery. Just left of my fourth shot with phase three being the parking lot on the southeast corner of the site. The lowrise portion will extend from phase three along the south of the site toward the west.

So either in the space south of Bldg 63 or between Bldg 75 & 64. Renderings show the building to be near the Mill Street pub.
DistilleryDistrict.jpg

Thanks Mike.

And Ed, it looks to me from the renderings that buildings 64, 65, and maybe even 75 are coming down in favour of these towers (with the podium building replacing the parking lot along the south.)

Back