Toronto CityPlace: Canoe Landing Community Centre & Schools | 15.85m | 3s | City of Toronto | ZAS Architects

Yeah. Stating that getting a unit in public housing or something similar to it is as hitting the jackpot is being ignorant and plain stupid. Most of us would rather live in something we own. Unless this were luxury units then why the hate on here? I smell a hidden bias once again against the poor.

I think these people do have a right to be worried. All one has to do is look at the old Regent Park or St.Jamestown to see what happens when there is a large amount of low income people put together. Hopefully by mixing people of different incomes together, this can be avoided. I really hope so!

But that's exactly what is happening. To the east is City Place and to the west is Waterpark City and the associated buildings of that development. On the other side of the Gardiner are the lakefront condos along Queens Quay and to the north are the low-rise condos of King-Spadina that easily fetch $400K for a one bedroom plus den.

This proposed development adds to the income mix of the area.

I think these people do have a right to be worried. All one has to do is look at the old Regent Park or St.Jamestown to see what happens when there is a large amount of low income people put together. Hopefully by mixing people of different incomes together, this can be avoided. I really hope so!

One really has to pay a visit to the St. Lawerence market neighbourhood before making such comments.
Also, this subsized income, not the lowest of the low.

An email from Adam Vaughan to CityPlace residents

Dear Residents of CityPlace,

Earlier this week we held a community meeting to update residents about some of the developments and projects being worked on in the neighbourhood.

Most importantly we forwarded the attached letter from Toronto Community Housing (TCHC) regarding the proposed school/community centre/residential development for Block 31 next to the park. (see attachment)

Following the hard work by a resident-led planning group, and in response to the legitimate planning concerns raised by neighbours through the planning process, TCHC is stepping the proposal down and going back to the drawing board. Before any re-design is submitted to the neighbourhood and city for consideration the following issues will be addressed:

- height and location of tower
- size of floorplate
- additional traffic studies are to be done
- additional visitor parking space capacity to be explored
- mix of units with a goal of adding more market units without adding to overall count

TCHC expects the re-design and recalibration of the financial mix to take some time as the challenges are complex. They have agreed to bring a new design forward to the community before making a formal submission to city planning.

This planning process brings the TCHC project into line with the way in which all developments in Ward 20 are processed by local neighbourhoods. I’d like to thank all of you who forwarded observations and concerns about the planning issues on this file, and in particular I’d like to thank the residents on the working group for their time and effort aimed at building a better project.

hmm, so does this mean construction will stop, or was there another TCHC project on the cityplace lands that's going forward anyway?

Thanks for posting that update marcus even though it's disappointing news. One can only hope TCHC continue the tradition of architectural excellence for this site.

AoD

. One can only hope TCHC continue the tradition of architectural excellence for this site.
AoD

A re-design from this...sounds to me like they want a shorter mediocre building instead.....to bad.

CA-12012009-BLOK-aerial_fmt.jpeg

CA-12012009-BLOK-mid%20garden_fmt.jpeg
[/QUOTE]

There was also mention that the design of the pedestrian bridge connecting Cityplace to Portland St. was reveiled. Anyone has any further info, pix?

Sorry for posting it here...

Classism and votes win. City of Toronto loses.

Loses what exactly? Why not wait and see instead of taking the One Bloor approach as public consultation yields a better end product more often than not.

Sorry, but this forum can at times make a content person very depressed.

I dont like the idea of balconies at all... If it were a typical condominium there would more then likely being a newer building have condo codes that would not allow for junk to be placed on the balcony. Most of the newer towers have balconies that are well kept because of restrictive rules to make the building maintain a good image for resale purposes. However if its affordable housing what incentive would there be for keeping the balconies clean? Think of the countless apartment buildings in the suburbs with balconies with old couches hockey bags, old appliances and that sort of stuff in plain view. This is not what downtown wants or needs. Itll mae the building stick out like a soar thumb.

Back