Toronto Cinema Tower | 142.64m | 43s | Daniels | Kirkor Architects

If you click on the link, the "application status" line says "application submitted". I think "Site Plan Approval" is the name of the process, not an actual indication that the project has been approved. Could be wrong.

If you click on the link, the "application status" line says "application submitted". I think "Site Plan Approval" is the name of the process, not an actual indication that the project has been approved. Could be wrong.

ditto Therion ... I guess I should have been clear and stated "Site Plan Approval Application" instead ~ :)

There is no "as usual" 7 to 10 floor chop made to proposed buildings in this city: applications are considered based on their context. With a similarly tall Festival Tower to the immediate southwest of this site there is every reason to believe that this application will be granted similar height.

City Planning Final Report

For consideration by Toronto and East York Community Council on Sept 15/09:

This application proposes a 43-storey mixed use building at 21-31 Widmer St.& 299 Adelaide Street West, with approximately 430 residential units and approximately 1,300 square metres of non-residential space, including retail and community/ performance space. Four above grade parking levels and four below grade parking levels are proposed, two of which comprise commercial parking. Previous Council permission (By-law 95-2006) permitted a 25 storey mixed use building on the site.

The proposal replaces a commercial surface parking lot with residential units, including a proposal to include affordable Habitat for Humanity units, retail, and community / performance space. It is consistent with the emerging built form study in that it is located within an area that can accommodate tall buildings without destabilizing the warehouse built form character of the area. The proposal generally meets the intent of the 2006 King Spadina Urban Design Guidelines, and the Tall Building Guidelines.

This report reviews and recommends approval of the application to amend the Zoning By-law.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-22136.pdf

Yeah..just an application, expect before approval that this project will be chopped by 7-10 floors as usual.:rolleyes:

There is no "as usual" 7 to 10 floor chop made to proposed buildings in this city: applications are considered based on their context. With a similarly tall Festival Tower to the immediate southwest of this site there is every reason to believe that this application will be granted similar height.

One would want to think so, but it just wont happen.

For consideration by Toronto and East York Community Council on Sept 15/09:

This application proposes a 43-storey mixed use building at 21-31 Widmer St.& 299 Adelaide Street West, with approximately 430 residential units and approximately 1,300 square metres of non-residential space, including retail and community/ performance space.

<snip>

It is consistent with the emerging built form study in that it is located within an area that can accommodate tall buildings without destabilizing the warehouse built form character of the area. The proposal generally meets the intent of the 2006 King Spadina Urban Design Guidelines, and the Tall Building Guidelines.

This report reviews and recommends approval of the application to amend the Zoning By-law.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-22136.pdf

AG, I'm not stringing these things together for the sake of saying 'I told you so'... oh hell, yeah, I suppose I am.

Just glad it's passing that hurdle!

AG, I'm not stringing these things together for the sake of saying 'I told you so'... oh hell, yeah, I suppose I am.

Just glad it's passing that hurdle!

Cheers
e5000533.gif

Automation Gallery said:
Yeah..just an application, expect before approval that this project will be chopped by 7-10 floors as usual.

Just to add to the comments above. There is no "usual 7-10 floor chop" anymore. Recent legislative changes to the Planning Act make it more difficult to make adjustments to the application mid-stream - especially if the case is being appealled OMB. An application that is altered substantially is considered a new application and the clock/process starts ticking over again. This puts more onus on the front end of the process to get things right rather than reverting to the "7 floor chop" at the back end of the process.

I noticed the configuration of the main floor retail. It will likely be just one store. I wonder if it will become a much-needed neighbourhood grocery store?

Back