Toronto Cinema Tower | 142.64m | 43s | Daniels | Kirkor Architects

Nothing on that site that I've seen yet. I fact I think it's one of the few parking lot sites in the area that still doesn't have an active proposal.

To the south west of that lot however, Noir Condos.

Same photographer as those from Ice thread:

leap_of_faith_by_mildlyreactive-d5s30v0.jpg

Source
I think they are sitting out near the tip of the jib on the crane. Fearless.

Their tumblr

4/20 vision lol. nice pic.

as for Cinema Tower, probably the most "meh" looking building i've seen in a while. Can't exactly explain why I don't like it, but it's a mixture of a weird shaped building and awkwardness. Festival Tower ranks much higher on the spectrum.

As it grows nearer to completion the podium looks clunkier. I gave it the benefit of the doubt this whole time but that last photo has me concluding that I'm not happy with the podium treatment at all.

As it grows nearer to completion the podium looks clunkier. I gave it the benefit of the doubt this whole time but that last photo has me concluding that I'm not happy with the podium treatment at all.

I never reserved judgment on this ridiculous podium, it was terrible in conception and execution. The prettiest fate we can hope for is that it's crowded out by better senses from towers to come. But that's doubtful.

To be honest, the cladding is one aspect that did stand a chance, and is the least of my worries. The tan pre-cast, the strange way the glazing along the ground floor on the west elevation is centered on the podium's length, the proportions of the podium itself, the black/dark grey windows used in combination with the terracotta colour... These are all my major complaints.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you described it as clunky. I do like the colour and texture but, despite the vertical strips of windows, it feels very much like an overbearing seamless expanse, much like the Bay's bunker at Yonge & Bloor. I wish they had found a way to break up the massing of the podium a little.

Back