Toronto Cinema Tower | 142.64m | 43s | Daniels | Kirkor Architects

I think this building (and the podium in particular) is going to have a real personality, in a good way. I mean, for wrapping around an above ground parking lot this cladding is interesting and fantastic. The curves play off the 90 degree angles of the lightbox and Festival Tower. I like it so far.

The problem with this building is it lacks context. It's like plopping a yellow & blue big box store in a farmer's field--its happened before. Now not every building has to fit in, but this building fits in like that big box store. It's like they designed the building without walking around the site. It's tacky.

Also, why is the building set back from the street?

The design was done before the Corned Beef House on the corner sold to Daniels, but I believe that once they had it, the Section 37 agreement part of the Zoning Bylaw Amendment included the proviso to use that space as a programmable public square which can be turned over to activities connected with the Artscape space as need be which is immediately beside it, on the west half of the site at least. On the east half of the north side of the site, it is hope that a major restaurant will fill the interoir space, and the outdoor area outside its doors will be used as a patio.

from today
DSCF4412.jpg

wow! ^ could hardly recognize that, very cool how this block has transformed in the last few years. in fact, the ENTIRE block became 3 tall condo towers! pretty cool stuff

and sheesh, festival tower's been like that (green mesh) for ever now? how long has it been??!?! a year?

some new textures caught by current over at SSC....

7317697732_58d64c082c_b.jpg

7317700090_fce7695fc5_b.jpg

7317696138_d4ca5ae544_b.jpg

Which is a fantastic (hopefully!) building for a view terminus here! Picasso is definitely high on my favourites list!

Great update :) It's looking better with more precast and glass up. I'll have to see it in person tonight when I'm down that way for the PUG Awards.

Can someone please bring me up to speed as to why the parking isn't below ground? This thing is an affront to even the most basic aesthetic sensibility. That precast, while motivated by an interesting artistic idea, already looks dated, dirty, and downright cheap.

I hate to be negative but we should be using this forum to critique the City's lack of leadership on mandating higher standards of design than ogling the rush to height. Cool today, a financial and visual burden tomorrow.

The belowground parking will be for the condo, with the aboveground being for the public. The city actually mandated the parking..

Back