Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
The reality is that in the winter people will wait indoors until their bus has arrived, so that can happen in a smaller space (old GO bus terminal) or it can happen in a bigger space (new GO bus terminal). Not to mention that ultimately in both cases everyone ends up in an enclosed space (a bus) which makes all of this a moo point. 🐄

The reality is that in the winter people will wait indoors until their bus has arrived, so that can happen in a smaller space (old GO bus terminal) or it can happen in a bigger space (new GO bus terminal). Not to mention that ultimately in both cases everyone ends up in an enclosed space (a bus) which makes all of this a moo point. 🐄

/discussion

I hope they have some room for public art - something with some colour. It's awfully institutional in there. It appears as though it was just made open for service, but many touches still need to be added. I also think the half-frosted windows look like crap. The ceiling of the bus bays should have been cladded with something and not left exposed.

I'll be curious to see how annoying it is to go rushing to a gate once you find out what one your bus will be at. I've never liked that system. I miss dedicated platforms. But if it speeds service up like they claim, then it'll be good.

walked past the station couple hours ago. Pretty much all employees inside. The washrooms are really small (on the ground floor at least) for such a big concourse, especially if they move intercity busses here.
Also noticed the SBA escalators to the sky bridge slows down when not in use. I’ve seen this used widely in Asia but I don’t think any union escalators do this.
The workmanship of the ceiling panels, windows,etc. In the concourse look so much better compared to Union.

I hope they have some room for public art - something with some colour. It's awfully institutional in there. It appears as though it was just made open for service, but many touches still need to be added.

Hopefully the waves hands around in arty way "colours of human interaction" and some advertising will help a little - but yeah, I agree! Sadly Metrolinx dumped their public art program a little while ago - only the Eglinton Crosstown will get some.

I hope they have some room for public art - something with some colour. It's awfully institutional in there. It appears as though it was just made open for service, but many touches still need to be added. I also think the half-frosted windows look like crap. The ceiling of the bus bays should have been cladded with something and not left exposed.

I'll be curious to see how annoying it is to go rushing to a gate once you find out what one your bus will be at. I've never liked that system. I miss dedicated platforms. But if it speeds service up like they claim, then it'll be good.
They didn't provide any details on the specific pieces, but art is definitely coming to the SBA bridge wall and the bus terminal itself according to the open house recently.

tempImage26H1J7.png

Confirmation that the coach buses from Coach Terminal will be moving to the bus terminal here in 2021:

610 Bay Street (and adjacent 130 Elizabeth Street) are City-owned assets under the operational management of TTC. The facilities are currently leased-out for the delivery of inter-city, inter-regional and inter-national bus services, which are expected to relocate to Union Station in 2021. As a result, 610 Bay Street and 130 Elizabeth Street are considered to be underutilized City assets with higher use potential to deliver City building outcomes, while respecting the heritage components of the site.

Source: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2019/ra/bgrd/backgroundfile-137925.pdf
There was talk in 2019 about Toronto Coach Terminal moving to CIBC Square. Couldn't find any new information about it.

Never noticed the 'little bus light' at this entranceway....(a few more pics from this afternoon's walkabout).

P1210751.jpg

P1210753.jpg

P1210758.jpg

P1210759.jpg

Asked a random worker leaving the site when the external night lighting might be operable. He said he didn't have a clue, but said it wouldn't happen until all the glass was installed. Seems like it may be getting close..

P1210756.jpg

P1210762.jpg

Curious non-Presto question though: Can one purchase their GO bus tickets right at the the new station...or do we still have to clamber through the bowls of Union Station to acquire them there?

Curious non-Presto question though: Can one purchase their GO bus tickets right at the the new station...or do we still have to clamber through the bowls of Union Station to acquire them there?
There are staffed ticket wickets on the upper level of the terminal, plus machines.

There was talk in 2019 about Toronto Coach Terminal moving to CIBC Square. Couldn't find any new information about it.
I wasn't sure if it would work, but now that it has opened the terminal is more spacious than I thought and I think it can handle the intercity buses.

I was imagining London's Victoria Coach Terminal but at Union the buses park at an angle meaning the spacing between the gates is quite roomy.

There is extra room south of Gate 1 and another chunk of space between Gates 9 and 10 that can be effectively utilized with stanchions post pandemic. It would make sense to try to put the intercity buses as these gates since they take longer to load than commuter buses.

Back