Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
I've never seen anything to confirm it (not that I really have looked) but, rumour has a near identical tower to FCP was original planned for Two First Canadian Place. That would have been quite impressive.

We lost a few good buildings (i.e. the Toronto Star Building) for a fairly lackluster tower remarkable only for its size.

I wonder what else would have been lost if that building got a twin.

We lost a few good buildings (i.e. the Toronto Star Building) for a fairly lackluster tower remarkable only for its size.

I wonder what else would have been lost if that building got a twin.

The "twin" got built in a different form. IIRC, The 1950s Lord Simcoe Hotel was demolished in the 1970s to make way for the Exchange Tower and The Globe and Mail building was demo'd for the Lord Simcoe Hotel.

I don't find the Toronto Star Building superior to First Canadian Place. It's just different. The big loss here was the 17 storey Bank of Montreal building for the 3 storey banking pavilion. It was a smaller, "cheaper" reflection of the Bank of Nova Scotia building across the street. The two of them anchoring the northern side of Bay and King with the modern towers in behind would be quite impressive.

bank of montreal building.jpg

Attachments

• bank of montreal building.jpg
    bank of montreal building.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,818
Looks like a big chunk of the section 37 money from this will go toward a new ferry terminal:
A cash contribution to the City, prior to the issuance of the first above-grade building permit, of $4,000,000 towards the Jack Layton Ferry Terminal

That covers phase two only, phase one already has its zoning approval.
Hmm?...So even though 5 floors taller than the first phase (48s/238m), its only 5 meters taller (53s/243m)
The first phase has the bus terminal and a food court.
Based on the architectural plans posted on the City's development applications webpage, the north building should be described as having 54 floors, not 53.

The extra six floors mostly come from the way that the space is allocated in the crown of the second tower, where there is less mechanical equipment. That's presumably from not having to deal with the bus terminal exhaust.

The bus terminal and food court in the south building results in no differences in the floor numbering of the north tower: level four, with the food court and park deck is the same number for both buildings. Level 4 in the north building also features high-ceiling retail, along with a sky lobby for the office tower.

Both buildings have seven storey podiums, (which includes the bus terminal in the south tower) with the towers starting on the eighth floor.

The "twin" got built in a different form. IIRC, The 1950s Lord Simcoe Hotel was demolished in the 1970s to make way for the Exchange Tower and The Globe and Mail building was demo'd for the Lord Simcoe Hotel.

I don't find the Toronto Star Building superior to First Canadian Place. It's just different. The big loss here was the 17 storey Bank of Montreal building for the 3 storey banking pavilion. It was a smaller, "cheaper" reflection of the Bank of Nova Scotia building across the street. The two of them anchoring the northern side of Bay and King with the modern towers in behind would be quite impressive.

I agree that the Bank of Montreal building was a loss, because it was a good match for the later Bank of Nova Scotia building across Bay Street. IMO the old Star building was much more interesting than the BMO tower, which to me is lacking in any distinction other than height.

Feel compelled to point out a couple of historical/geographical inaccuracies: The Lord Simcoe, built at King and University, was replaced by one of Arthur Erickson's Sun Life towers. The Exchange Tower is up the street, at York and Adelaide. And the Globe and Mail building was on King east of York St. and had no connection whatever to the Lord Simcoe site.

Come to think of it, the Globe and Mail building was also a loss: a handsome 1930s mid-rise art deco/art moderne building. If First Canadian Place were to be built today it would probably incorporate the G&M, Star and old Bank of Montreal buildings as heritage properties very much worth preserving. And the north side of King Street from Bay to York would have more character than the present misplaced-mall look.

Last edited:

Interesting tidbits in there, some of which are nice to see confirmed:
- A cash contribution of $4M towards the ferry terminal re-do (though I'd love to know for which phase those monies are earmarked)
- A cash contribution of $1.5M towards grade public realm improvements
- Mention of "a public art contribution" with a suggestion for half to be dedicated to the Bay St. underpass
- 2 public pedestrian bridges (1 from the site to Union and 1 from the site to Backstage on the Esplanade)
- PATH connection
- 524 bike parking spaces

And, of course, the elevated POPS.

I suspect they won't have trouble with that, this is a premium location with a premium view.
I agree that it will be good to see this whole complex built but we need to remember that they need to finish the southern section (45 Bay) - or at least the new bus station part of it - before anything can happen with 141 Bay and there are many other new office towers going up or about to go up. This one MAY have a great location with great views but it does take time to lease space. I suspect it will not all be done for 8-10 years.

What is, I suggest, very interesting is that the Federal Government is about to declare the Dominion Public Building surplus (possibly with ten-year lease-back provision.) At the public meeting on 141 Bay the Ivanhoe folks seemed very keen on incorporating the DPB into their plans so in an ideal world I see this whole area being better integrated and planned as a whole. (An exciting fact I heard last week is that there is an unused steam tunnel going from Union Station to the DPB that could maybe be reopened if the building is fully refurbished and the lower level (facing onto the current bus station) becomes retail.

What is, I suggest, very interesting is that the Federal Government is about to declare the Dominion Public Building surplus (possibly with ten-year lease-back provision.) At the public meeting on 141 Bay the Ivanhoe folks seemed very keen on incorporating the DPB into their plans so in an ideal world I see this whole area being better integrated and planned as a whole. (An exciting fact I heard last week is that there is an unused steam tunnel going from Union Station to the DPB that could maybe be reopened if the building is fully refurbished and the lower level (facing onto the current bus station) becomes retail.
That is very exciting! Do we have a thread for that here on UT?

Back